Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Inflated'
Inflated Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- enlarged beyond truth or reasonableness; "had an exaggerated (or inflated) opinion of himself"; "a hyperbolic style" [syn: exaggerated, hyperbolic]
- expanded by (or as if by) gas or air; "an inflated balloon" [ant: deflated]
- pretentious (especially with regard to language or ideals); "high-flown talk of preserving the moral tone of the school"; "a high-sounding dissertation on the means to attain social revolution" [syn: high-flown, high-sounding]
- increased especially to abnormal levels; "the raised prices frightened away customers"; "inflated wages"; "an inflated economy" [syn: raised(a)]
- Inflated \In*flat"ed\, a.
- Filled, as with air or gas; blown up; distended; as, a balloon inflated with gas.
- Turgid; swelling; puffed up; bombastic; pompous; as, an inflated style. Inflated and astrut with self-conceit. --Cowper.
- (Bot.) Hollow and distended, as a perianth, corolla, nectary, or pericarp. --Martyn.
- Distended or enlarged fictitiously; as, inflated prices, etc.
- Inflate \In*flate"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Inflated; p. pr. &
vb. n. Inflating.]
- To swell or distend with air or gas; to dilate; to expand; to enlarge; as, to inflate a bladder; to inflate the lungs. When passion's tumults in the bosom rise, Inflate the features, and enrage the eyes. --J. Scott of Amwell.
- Fig.: To swell; to puff up; to elate; as, to inflate one with pride or vanity. Inflate themselves with some insane delight. --Tennyson.
- To cause to become unduly expanded or increased; as, to inflate the currency.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Inflated'
- Inflated heelsplitter: The Inflated heelsplitter (Potamilus inflatus) is a species of freshwater mussel , an aquatic bivalve mollusk in the family Unionidae , ...
- The Inflated Tear: The Inflated Tear is an album by Roland Kirk released in 1968. One of his most popular albums and sometimes regarded as his magnum opus ...
- List of wealthiest non-inflated historical figures: The list of the wealthiest non-inflated historical figures is given in U.S. dollars for simple comparison purposes, and lists the peak net ...
Words and phrases related to 'Inflated'
Inflated Sample Sentences in News
- Protests by Aam Admi Party in Delhi over inflated electricity bills
New Delhi, May 19 (ANI): Supporters of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP), protested against inflated electricity and water bills in New Delhi on Sunday and submitted complaint letters to the Congress leaders. Read more on this news related to 'Inflated'
- Senator Schumer outraged over inflated fees to change flights
Just in time for summer vacation season, the airlines are jacking up the cost to change your flight. Senator Chuck Schumer is outraged about the rising fees while competition continues to fall through mergers. The New York democrat says after … Read more on this news related to 'Inflated'
- Gold Prices 'Still Very Inflated': Talking Numbers' Brian Sullivan
Gold is having a hard time because it has no industrial use and traditionally weakens when the dollar strengthens, which is the case now, says Brian Sullivan, host of Talking Numbers, a joint production from Yahoo! Finance and CNBC. Read more on this news related to 'Inflated'