Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Inflated'
Inflated Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- enlarged beyond truth or reasonableness; "had an exaggerated (or inflated) opinion of himself"; "a hyperbolic style" [syn: exaggerated, hyperbolic]
- expanded by (or as if by) gas or air; "an inflated balloon" [ant: deflated]
- pretentious (especially with regard to language or ideals); "high-flown talk of preserving the moral tone of the school"; "a high-sounding dissertation on the means to attain social revolution" [syn: high-flown, high-sounding]
- increased especially to abnormal levels; "the raised prices frightened away customers"; "inflated wages"; "an inflated economy" [syn: raised(a)]
- Inflated \In*flat"ed\, a.
- Filled, as with air or gas; blown up; distended; as, a balloon inflated with gas.
- Turgid; swelling; puffed up; bombastic; pompous; as, an inflated style. Inflated and astrut with self-conceit. --Cowper.
- (Bot.) Hollow and distended, as a perianth, corolla, nectary, or pericarp. --Martyn.
- Distended or enlarged fictitiously; as, inflated prices, etc.
- Inflate \In*flate"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Inflated; p. pr. &
vb. n. Inflating.]
- To swell or distend with air or gas; to dilate; to expand; to enlarge; as, to inflate a bladder; to inflate the lungs. When passion's tumults in the bosom rise, Inflate the features, and enrage the eyes. --J. Scott of Amwell.
- Fig.: To swell; to puff up; to elate; as, to inflate one with pride or vanity. Inflate themselves with some insane delight. --Tennyson.
- To cause to become unduly expanded or increased; as, to inflate the currency.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Inflated'
- Inflated heelsplitter: The Inflated heelsplitter (Potamilus inflatus) is a species of freshwater mussel , an aquatic bivalve mollusk in the family Unionidae , ...
- The Inflated Tear: The Inflated Tear is an album by Roland Kirk released in 1968. One of his most popular albums and sometimes regarded as his magnum opus ...
- List of wealthiest non-inflated historical figures: The list of the wealthiest non-inflated historical figures is given in U.S. dollars for simple comparison purposes, and lists the peak net ...
Words and phrases related to 'Inflated'
Inflated Sample Sentences in News
- Zim: 'Kariba power costs inflated'
Two former ministers in Zimbabwe say corruption is the reason costs have escalated on the Kariba power project. Read more on this news related to 'Inflated'
- Walmart faked 'sugar tax' on NY soda sales; fined $66K
Walmart will pay $66,000 to settle a false advertising case in New York after consumers were falsely told the state had a 'sugar tax' on Coca-Cola. Investigators say Walmart sold 66,000 12-packs of Coca-Cola at an inflated price. Read more on this news related to 'Inflated'
- Sony warns of $2.14 bn annual loss, over four times forecast
TOKYO - Sony on Wednesday inflated its annual loss forecast more than four-fold to $2.14 billion, saying it would book a huge charge tied to its mobile phone business. Read more on this news related to 'Inflated'