Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Infirmity'
n : the state of being weak in health or body (especially from
old age) [syn: frailty, debility, feebleness, frailness]
- Infirmity \In*firm"i*ty\, n.; pl. Infirmities. [L. infirmitas
: cf. F. infirmite. See Infirm, a.]
- The state of being infirm; feebleness; an imperfection or weakness; esp., an unsound, unhealthy, or debilitated state; a disease; a malady; as, infirmity of body or mind. 'T is the infirmity of his age. --Shak.
- A personal frailty or failing; foible; eccentricity; a weakness or defect. Will you be cured of your infirmity ? --Shak. A friend should bear his friend's infirmities. --Shak. The house has also its infirmities. --Evelyn. Syn: Debility; imbecility; weakness; feebleness; failing; foible; defect; disease; malady. See Debility.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Infirmity'
Illness (sometimes referred to as ill-health or ailment) is a state of poor health. Illness is sometimes considered a synonym for disease.
The mode of being healthy includes, as defined by the World Health Organization, " When these conditions are not fulfilled, then one can be considered to have an illness or be ill. Medication and the science of pharmacology is used to cure or reduce symptoms of an illness or medical conditions. Developmental disability is a term used to describe severe, life-long disabilities attributable to mental and/or physical impairments.
Conditions of the body or mind that cause pain, dysfunction, or distress to the person afflicted or those in contact with the person can be deemed an illness. Sometimes the term is used broadly to include injuries, disabilities, syndromes, infections, symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts these may be considered distinguishable categories. A pathogen or infectious agent is a biological agent that causes disease or illness to its host. A passenger virus is a virus that simply hitchhikes in the body of a person or infects the body without causing symptoms, illness or disease. Foodborne illness or food poisoning is any illness resulting from the consumption of food contaminated with pathogenic bacteria, toxins, viruses, prions or parasites.[See more about Infirmity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Infirmity'
'Infirmity' in famous quotation sentence
* It is the highest form of self-respect to admit our errors and mistakes and make amends for them. To make a mistake is only an error in judgment, but to adhere to it when it is discovered shows infirmity of character. - Dr. Dale E. Turner
Click here for more related quotations on 'Infirmity'
Infirmity Sample Sentences in News
- A home for society’s giants
LAURENCE Street muses over the distinction between “infirmity” and “deterioration” with an agility that no longer exercises his limbs. Read more on this news related to 'Infirmity'
- Raghubir Yadav told to pay Rs.40,000 to estranged wife
New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) A court here Thursday told Bollywood actor Raghubir Yadav to pay monthly alimony of Rs.40,000 to his estranged wife. Additional Sessions Judge Anuradha Shukla Bhardwaj dismissed Yadav's plea challenging a magisterial court order asking him to pay the maintenance. The court said it finds "no infirmity or illegality in the order of Read more on this news related to 'Infirmity'
- Octogenarian meth smuggler sentenced
An 80-year-old man from Sacramento, Calif., who smuggled methamphetamine cross-country, could have faced 11 to 14 years in prison under federal sentencing guidelines, but was instead given home detention in light of his age and infirmity, and a sealed government motion. Read more on this news related to 'Infirmity'