Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- not sufficient to produce a desired result; "an ineffectual effort to block the legislation" [ant: effectual]
- not producing an intended effect; "an ineffective teacher"; "ineffective legislation" [syn: ineffective, uneffective] [ant: effective]
- producing no result or effect; "a futile effort"; "the therapy was ineffectual"; "an otiose undertaking"; "an unavailing attempt" [syn: futile, otiose, unavailing]
- lacking in power or forcefulness; "an ineffectual ruler"; "like an unable phoenix in hot ashes" [syn: ineffective, unable]
- Ineffectual \In`ef*fec"tu*al\ (?; 135), a.
Not producing the proper effect; without effect; inefficient;
weak; useless; futile; unavailing; as, an ineffectual
attempt; an ineffectual expedient. --Pope.
The peony root has been much commended, . . . and yet
has been by many found ineffectual. --Boyle.
Syn: Inefficient; useless; inefficacious; vain; fruitless;
unavailing; futile. See Useless, Inefficacious.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Words and phrases related to 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Sample Sentences in News
A truckload of cucumbers provided ineffectual cover to a clandestine shipment of marijuana that was intercepted last week at the Otay Mesa border crossing, U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials reported yesterday. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Disputed premier to stay in Egypt reshuffle
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egyptian Prime Minister Hisham Kandil, widely criticised as colourless and ineffectual, will keep his job in a limited cabinet reshuffle to be announced within days, a presidential spokesman said on Wednesday. Spokesman Ehab Fahmy told a news conference: "It is a limited reshuffle and the prime minister is not included." Some members of Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Valley fever spurs call to close 2 Calif. prisons
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The state's efforts to stop the rapid spread of valley fever through two Central California prisons have been so ineffectual that it should stop placing prisoners there, a medical expert told a federal judge in San Francisco overseeing health care in the state's prisons. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'