Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- not sufficient to produce a desired result; "an ineffectual effort to block the legislation" [ant: effectual]
- not producing an intended effect; "an ineffective teacher"; "ineffective legislation" [syn: ineffective, uneffective] [ant: effective]
- producing no result or effect; "a futile effort"; "the therapy was ineffectual"; "an otiose undertaking"; "an unavailing attempt" [syn: futile, otiose, unavailing]
- lacking in power or forcefulness; "an ineffectual ruler"; "like an unable phoenix in hot ashes" [syn: ineffective, unable]
- Ineffectual \In`ef*fec"tu*al\ (?; 135), a.
Not producing the proper effect; without effect; inefficient;
weak; useless; futile; unavailing; as, an ineffectual
attempt; an ineffectual expedient. --Pope.
The peony root has been much commended, . . . and yet
has been by many found ineffectual. --Boyle.
Syn: Inefficient; useless; inefficacious; vain; fruitless;
unavailing; futile. See Useless, Inefficacious.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Words and phrases related to 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Sample Sentences in News
- Mizeur: Opponents Ineffectual On Foreclosure Help
Democratic gubernatorial candidate Del. Heather Mizeur said Tuesday that her opponents are not serious about helping homeowners avoid foreclosure. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Overreach Prevents Obama From Solving Problems
There are many reasons President Barack Obama's presidency has proven so ineffectual even by its own standards — boosting economic growth, improving health care, preventing the spread of weapons of mass destruction, enhancing America's world reputation. One reason is that Obama is the most ideologically rigid president in American history. A great, world Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Unpaid internships ineffectual, even with credit
Like many other non-native New Yorkers, before arriving at Columbia I knew every stereotype about the city like the back of my hand. I’d binge-watched Sex and the City and Seinfeld, and I’d mapped out Fifth Avenue and the Upper West Side from Breakfast at Tiffany’s and You’ve Got Mail , respectively. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'