Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- not sufficient to produce a desired result; "an ineffectual effort to block the legislation" [ant: effectual]
- not producing an intended effect; "an ineffective teacher"; "ineffective legislation" [syn: ineffective, uneffective] [ant: effective]
- producing no result or effect; "a futile effort"; "the therapy was ineffectual"; "an otiose undertaking"; "an unavailing attempt" [syn: futile, otiose, unavailing]
- lacking in power or forcefulness; "an ineffectual ruler"; "like an unable phoenix in hot ashes" [syn: ineffective, unable]
- Ineffectual \In`ef*fec"tu*al\ (?; 135), a.
Not producing the proper effect; without effect; inefficient;
weak; useless; futile; unavailing; as, an ineffectual
attempt; an ineffectual expedient. --Pope.
The peony root has been much commended, . . . and yet
has been by many found ineffectual. --Boyle.
Syn: Inefficient; useless; inefficacious; vain; fruitless;
unavailing; futile. See Useless, Inefficacious.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Words and phrases related to 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Sample Sentences in News
- Fraser Institute: Arab Spring Reforms Remain Ineffectual Due to Lack of Economic Freedom
Despite the promise of the Arab Spring, most nations in the region have failed to reform their economies, largely leaving elite privilege in place, finds a new essay released today by the Fraser Institute, ... Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Together we can make Scotland better.
Scotland’s farmers have delivered a vote of no confidence in Westminster – after a poll showed that 100 per cent of respondents believe that the role of DEFRA Secretary is “so ineffectual that it doesn’t matter who takes up the post”. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Ancient sea scorpion was a gentle giant with bad eyes
Brooks Hays NEW HAVEN, Conn., July 10 (UPI) -- New evidence suggests ancient sea scorpions were rather harmless, ineffectual predators with bad eyesight. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'