Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- not sufficient to produce a desired result; "an ineffectual effort to block the legislation" [ant: effectual]
- not producing an intended effect; "an ineffective teacher"; "ineffective legislation" [syn: ineffective, uneffective] [ant: effective]
- producing no result or effect; "a futile effort"; "the therapy was ineffectual"; "an otiose undertaking"; "an unavailing attempt" [syn: futile, otiose, unavailing]
- lacking in power or forcefulness; "an ineffectual ruler"; "like an unable phoenix in hot ashes" [syn: ineffective, unable]
- Ineffectual \In`ef*fec"tu*al\ (?; 135), a.
Not producing the proper effect; without effect; inefficient;
weak; useless; futile; unavailing; as, an ineffectual
attempt; an ineffectual expedient. --Pope.
The peony root has been much commended, . . . and yet
has been by many found ineffectual. --Boyle.
Syn: Inefficient; useless; inefficacious; vain; fruitless;
unavailing; futile. See Useless, Inefficacious.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Words and phrases related to 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Sample Sentences in News
- Local Weather
Two “completely ineffectual” Tory councillors came under fire from their colleagues at the final council meeting of the term as the party’s rift widened. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- The ineffectual power of the press in 'To Kill a Mockingbird'
Journalism is almost as misbegotten as the Ewell clan, at least as it was practiced in mythical Maycomb, Ala., as imagined by Harper Lee. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Crime breeds mob 'justice' in Argentina
Argentina has been shaken by a recent wave of incidents of mob "justice," underscoring public frustration with rising crime and ineffectual police work. What do you expect?" 64-year-old Jose Villalba, the superintendant of a building in downtown Buenos Aires told AFP, expressing sympathy with the vigilantes. So far, only one person has died in the m Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'