Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- not sufficient to produce a desired result; "an ineffectual effort to block the legislation" [ant: effectual]
- not producing an intended effect; "an ineffective teacher"; "ineffective legislation" [syn: ineffective, uneffective] [ant: effective]
- producing no result or effect; "a futile effort"; "the therapy was ineffectual"; "an otiose undertaking"; "an unavailing attempt" [syn: futile, otiose, unavailing]
- lacking in power or forcefulness; "an ineffectual ruler"; "like an unable phoenix in hot ashes" [syn: ineffective, unable]
- Ineffectual \In`ef*fec"tu*al\ (?; 135), a.
Not producing the proper effect; without effect; inefficient;
weak; useless; futile; unavailing; as, an ineffectual
attempt; an ineffectual expedient. --Pope.
The peony root has been much commended, . . . and yet
has been by many found ineffectual. --Boyle.
Syn: Inefficient; useless; inefficacious; vain; fruitless;
unavailing; futile. See Useless, Inefficacious.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ineffectual'
Words and phrases related to 'Ineffectual'
Ineffectual Sample Sentences in News
- Film Review: Spike old boy...you should have done better
IN THIS ineffectual remake of the 2003 South Korean film of the same name, Josh Brolin plays Joe, an arrogant advertising executive and lousy father who is mysteriously imprisoned in one room for 20 years. Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Barca unbeaten run ends in defeat at Bilbao
By Iain Rogers MADRID (Reuters) - An ineffectual Barcelona crashed to their first La Liga defeat of the season and failed to restore their three-point lead over Atletico Madrid at the top when they were beaten 1-0 at Athletic Bilbao on Sunday. Barca were again without the injured Lionel Messi, who is not expected back until mid-January, and turned in one of their Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'
- Barca suffers first La Liga loss of the season at Bilbao
An ineffectual Barcelona crashed to their first La Liga defeat of the season and failed to restore their three-point lead over Atletico Madrid at the top when they were beaten 1-0 at Athletic Bilbao on Sunday (Monday, PHL time). Read more on this news related to 'Ineffectual'