Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Indulgence'
- an inability to resist the gratification of whims and desires [syn: self-indulgence]
- a disposition to yield to the wishes of someone; "too much indulgence spoils a child" [syn: lenience, leniency]
- the act of indulging or gratifying a desire [syn: indulging, pampering, humoring]
- foolish or senseless behavior [syn: folly, foolery, tomfoolery, craziness, lunacy]
- the remission by the pope of the temporal punishment in purgatory that is still due for sins even after absolution; "in the Middle Ages the unrestricted sale of indulgences by pardoners became a widespread abuse"
- Indulgence \In*dul"gence\, v. t.
To grant an indulgence to.
- Indulgence \In*dul"gence\, n. [L. indulgentia: cf. F.
- The act of indulging or humoring; the quality of being indulgent; forbearance of restrain or control. If I were a judge, that word indulgence should never issue from my lips. --Tooke. They err, that through indulgence to others, or fondness to any sin in themselves, substitute for repentance anything less. --Hammond.
- An indulgent act; favor granted; gratification. If all these gracious indulgences are without any effect on us, we must perish in our own folly. --Rogers.
- (R. C. Ch.) Remission of the temporal punishment due to sins, after the guilt of sin has been remitted by sincere repentance; absolution from the censures and public penances of the church. It is a payment of the debt of justice to God by the application of the merits of Christ and his saints to the contrite soul through the church. It is therefore believed to diminish or destroy for sins the punishment of purgatory.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Indulgence'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Indulgence'
An indulgence, in Roman Catholic theology, means that temporal punishment (punishment here on Earth) for sins which have already been forgiven is taken from the sinner.
The indulgence is given by the church after the sinner has confessed and received absolution. Indulgences replaced the severe penances of the early church.
Martin Luther protested against them because they were sold. This was the starting point for the Protestant Reformation (1517).[See more about Indulgence at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Indulgence'
'Indulgence' in famous quotation sentence
* Negative thinking is always expensive--dragging us down mentally, emotionally, and physically--hence I refer to any indulgence in it as a luxury. - Peter McWilliams
Click here for more related quotations on 'Indulgence'
Indulgence Sample Sentences in News
- Your Business: Indulgence now a serious business
Chocolate is one of those little things in life that seems to provoke plenty of passion.This is borne out in speaking to chocolatiers who typically seem to love the creative process of working with the sweet stuff.Kako Chocolate... Read more on this news related to 'Indulgence'
- 'Special is standard' at Bethlehem's Sweet Indulgence Cafe
It was no joke and all business when Bethlehem's newest eatery, Sweet Indulgence Cafe, opened on April Fools' Day. Read more on this news related to 'Indulgence'
- Teleflora Rejuvenates Mom With Blissful Indulgence This Mother's Day 2014
Teleflora, the world's leading flower delivery service, today unveiled its new line of exquisite Mother's Day floral bouquets and now is helping shoppers "Deliver Bliss" by combining these fresh artfully-designed bouquets with indulgent spa services for convenient one-stop Mother's Day shopping. The gift bundles feature stunning Mother's Read more on this news related to 'Indulgence'