Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Imprisoned'
- Imprison \Im*pris"on\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Imprisoned; p. pr.
& vb. n. Imprisoning.] [OE. enprisonen, OF. enprisoner, F.
emprisonner; pref. en- (L. in) + F. & OF. prison. See
- To put in prison or jail; To arrest and detain in custody; to confine. He imprisoned was in chains remediles. --Spenser.
- To limit, restrain, or confine in any way. Try to imprison the resistless wind. --Dryden. Syn: To incarcerate; confine; immure.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Imprisoned'
A prison (from Old French prisoun) is a place in which people are physically confined and, usually, deprived of a range of personal freedoms. Imprisonment or incarceration is a legal penalty that may be imposed by the state for the commission of a crime. Other terms are penitentiary, correctional facility, remand center, detention center and gaol (or jail).
In the United States, "jail" and "prison" refer to separate levels of incarceration; generally speaking, jails are county or city administrated institutions which house both inmates awaiting trial on the local level and convicted misdemeanants serving a term of one year or less, while prisons are state or federal facilities housing those awaiting trial on the state or federal level and convicted felons serving a term of more than one year. On the federal level, this terminology has been largely superseded by a more complex five-tier system implemented by the Federal Bureau of Prisons that ranges from low security "Prison Camps" to medium security "Correctional Institutions" and finally maximum security "Penitentiaries".[See more about Imprisoned at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Imprisoned'
'Imprisoned' in famous quotation sentence
* Let your imagination release your imprisoned possibilities. - Dr. Robert Schuller
* No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand. The Centauri learned this lesson once. We will teach it to them again. Though it take a thousand years, we will be free. - J. Michael Straczynski
Click here for more related quotations on 'Imprisoned'
Imprisoned Sample Sentences in News
- Imprisoned Pussy Riot Members Sue Kremlin for $175,000
Two members of Pussy Riot are suing the Russian Government. The feminist, punk rock group members imprisoned after trying to perform their song "Mother of God, Drive Putin Out" in the Christ the Saviour Cathedral in February 2012. Maria Alyokhina and Nadezhda Tolokonnikova have filed their case with the European Court of Human Rights against the countr Read more on this news related to 'Imprisoned'
- Man Wrongly Imprisoned Seeks Millions From State
Man imprisoned for 21 years in killing he didn't commit seeks up to $8 million in compensation Read more on this news related to 'Imprisoned'
- Egyptian-Canadian journalist imprisoned in Cairo weighs appeal
An Egyptian-Canadian journalist imprisoned in Cairo is weighing whether he will appeal his conviction and go through the "circus" of a retrial. Mohamed Fahmy has already been in prison for seven months, but is facing the prospect of seven years after he was found guilty on terrorism-related charges along with two Al-Jazeera English colleagues. His Austra Read more on this news related to 'Imprisoned'