Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Impose'
- compel to behave in a certain way; "Social relations impose courtesy" [syn: enforce]
- impose something unpleasant; "The principal visited his rage on the students" [syn: inflict, bring down, visit]
- impose and collect; "levy a fine" [syn: levy]
- Impose \Im*pose"\, v. i.
To practice trick or deception.
To impose on or upon, to pass or put a trick on; to
delude. ``He imposes on himself, and mistakes words for
- Impose \Im*pose"\, n.
A command; injunction. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Impose \Im*pose"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Imposed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Imposing.] [F. imposer; pref. im- in + poser to place.
See Pose, v. t.]
- To lay on; to set or place; to put; to deposit. Cakes of salt and barley [she] did impose Within a wicker basket. --Chapman.
- To lay as a charge, burden, tax, duty, obligation, command, penalty, etc.; to enjoin; to levy; to inflict; as, to impose a toll or tribute. What fates impose, that men must needs abide. --Shak. Death is the penalty imposed. --Milton. Thou on the deep imposest nobler laws. --Waller.
- (Eccl.) To lay on, as the hands, in the religious rites of confirmation and ordination.
- (Print.) To arrange in proper order on a table of stone or metal and lock up in a chase for printing; -- said of columns or pages of type, forms, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Impose'
Imposing was a notable Australian thoroughbred racehorse.
He was a chestnut son of Todman from the Arctic Explorer mare Hialeah.
Some of his major race victories included the 1979 AJC Epsom Handicap, AJC George Main Stakes and the STC Hill Stakes.
Retired to stud following his successful racing career, his progeny included the champion Super Impose, Imposera (1988 MRC Caulfield Cup) and Imprimatur (1986 AJC Spring Champion Stakes).[See more about Impose at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Impose'
Impose Sample Sentences in News
- Police Struggle to Impose Curfew in Ferguson: One Shot, Tear Gas, Seven Arrests
Police and protesters clashed in Ferguson for yet another night in which one person was shot and seven people arrested, as police struggled to impose a curfew in the town that has raged since the killing of an unarmed teen by a police officer a week ago. The curfew, which was set for midnight to 5:00 a.m. in conjunction with a state of emergency declared by Miss Read more on this news related to 'Impose'
- World should impose Middle East solution : France's Fabius
World powers should impose from outside a political solution to halt the conflict between Israel and Hamas that has killed hundreds in Gaza, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said on Monday. Fabius issued the statement after a Palestinian official said an Israeli air strike killed 10 people and wounded about 30 on Sunday in a U.N.-run school in the southern G Read more on this news related to 'Impose'
- Canada to impose sanctions on range of Russian firms and banks
Canada said on Thursday it will impose sanctions on "a broad range" of Russian companies and banks to punish Moscow for what it said was the illegal occupation of Crimea and "provocative military activity" in eastern Ukraine. The companies include Novatek OAO, Russia's No. 2 natural gas producer, as well as Gazprombank OAO, Russia's thi Read more on this news related to 'Impose'