Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Impose'
- compel to behave in a certain way; "Social relations impose courtesy" [syn: enforce]
- impose something unpleasant; "The principal visited his rage on the students" [syn: inflict, bring down, visit]
- impose and collect; "levy a fine" [syn: levy]
- Impose \Im*pose"\, v. i.
To practice trick or deception.
To impose on or upon, to pass or put a trick on; to
delude. ``He imposes on himself, and mistakes words for
- Impose \Im*pose"\, n.
A command; injunction. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Impose \Im*pose"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Imposed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Imposing.] [F. imposer; pref. im- in + poser to place.
See Pose, v. t.]
- To lay on; to set or place; to put; to deposit. Cakes of salt and barley [she] did impose Within a wicker basket. --Chapman.
- To lay as a charge, burden, tax, duty, obligation, command, penalty, etc.; to enjoin; to levy; to inflict; as, to impose a toll or tribute. What fates impose, that men must needs abide. --Shak. Death is the penalty imposed. --Milton. Thou on the deep imposest nobler laws. --Waller.
- (Eccl.) To lay on, as the hands, in the religious rites of confirmation and ordination.
- (Print.) To arrange in proper order on a table of stone or metal and lock up in a chase for printing; -- said of columns or pages of type, forms, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Impose'
Imposing was a notable Australian thoroughbred racehorse.
He was a chestnut son of Todman from the Arctic Explorer mare Hialeah.
Some of his major race victories included the 1979 AJC Epsom Handicap, AJC George Main Stakes and the STC Hill Stakes.
Retired to stud following his successful racing career, his progeny included the champion Super Impose, Imposera (1988 MRC Caulfield Cup) and Imprimatur (1986 AJC Spring Champion Stakes).[See more about Impose at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Impose'
Impose Sample Sentences in News
- Canada intends to impose more sanctions on Russia: prime minister
Canada said on Tuesday it plans to impose additional sanctions on Russia in the coming days, in close coordination with partners in the United States and Europe. The sanctions will be in addition to those announced last week on a broad range of Russian companies and banks, Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in a statement. "In the wake of continu Read more on this news related to 'Impose'
- Baltimore poised to impose strict new youth curfew
Baltimore, faced with high crime rates, is set to impose one of the strictest U.S. curfews for young people, with the mayor facing residents on Tuesday to explain the new rules. Backers of the law, including Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, say it will not criminalize children, but will take them off the street and put them and their families in touch with social s Read more on this news related to 'Impose'
- Canada to impose sanctions on range of Russian firms and banks
Canada said on Thursday it will impose sanctions on "a broad range" of Russian companies and banks to punish Moscow for what it said was the illegal occupation of Crimea and "provocative military activity" in eastern Ukraine. The companies include Novatek OAO, Russia's No. 2 natural gas producer, as well as Gazprombank OAO, Russia's thi Read more on this news related to 'Impose'