Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Impose'
- compel to behave in a certain way; "Social relations impose courtesy" [syn: enforce]
- impose something unpleasant; "The principal visited his rage on the students" [syn: inflict, bring down, visit]
- impose and collect; "levy a fine" [syn: levy]
- Impose \Im*pose"\, v. i.
To practice trick or deception.
To impose on or upon, to pass or put a trick on; to
delude. ``He imposes on himself, and mistakes words for
- Impose \Im*pose"\, n.
A command; injunction. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Impose \Im*pose"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Imposed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Imposing.] [F. imposer; pref. im- in + poser to place.
See Pose, v. t.]
- To lay on; to set or place; to put; to deposit. Cakes of salt and barley [she] did impose Within a wicker basket. --Chapman.
- To lay as a charge, burden, tax, duty, obligation, command, penalty, etc.; to enjoin; to levy; to inflict; as, to impose a toll or tribute. What fates impose, that men must needs abide. --Shak. Death is the penalty imposed. --Milton. Thou on the deep imposest nobler laws. --Waller.
- (Eccl.) To lay on, as the hands, in the religious rites of confirmation and ordination.
- (Print.) To arrange in proper order on a table of stone or metal and lock up in a chase for printing; -- said of columns or pages of type, forms, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Impose'
Imposing was a notable Australian thoroughbred racehorse.
He was a chestnut son of Todman from the Arctic Explorer mare Hialeah.
Some of his major race victories included the 1979 AJC Epsom Handicap, AJC George Main Stakes and the STC Hill Stakes.
Retired to stud following his successful racing career, his progeny included the champion Super Impose, Imposera (1988 MRC Caulfield Cup) and Imprimatur (1986 AJC Spring Champion Stakes).[See more about Impose at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Impose'
Impose Sample Sentences in News
- EU to impose sanctions on Russia Monday: Polish PM Tusk
Poland's Prime Minister Donald Tusk said the European Union would impose sanctions on Russia starting on Monday over its military intervention in Ukraine's Crimea region. "When it comes to sanctions on Russia, a decision has in fact already been made, especially on the procedure of introducing sanctions. The consequence of this will be the start of sa Read more on this news related to 'Impose'
- Gov’t to re-impose ‘no plate, no travel’ policy
MANILA, Philippines –The government will re-impose its “no plate, no travel” policy once the backlogs on license plates for motor vehicles and motorcycles have been addressed with the release of new plates next month, Transportation and Communications Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya told a Senate hearing on Tuesday. “We did admit that we had backlog so we Read more on this news related to 'Impose'
- EU diplomats preparing next level of sanctions on Russia
By Luke Baker BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union is preparing to impose travel bans, asset freezes and other restrictions on Russia for its failure to "de-escalate" the crisis in Crimea, officials said on Monday. While the formal decision to impose the sanctions is only expected to be taken when EU foreign ministers next meet on March 17, preparatio Read more on this news related to 'Impose'