Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Impaling'
- Impale \Im*pale"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Impaled; p. pr. & vb.
n. Impaling.] [See 2d Empale.]
- To pierce with a pale; to put to death by fixing on a sharp stake. See Empale. Then with what life remains, impaled, and left To writhe at leisure round the bloody stake. --Addison.
- To inclose, as with pales or stakes; to surround. Impale him with your weapons round about. --Shak. Impenetrable, impaled with circling fire. --Milton.
- (Her.) To join, as two coats of arms on one shield, palewise; hence, to join in honorable mention. Ordered the admission of St. Patrick to the same to be matched and impaled with the blessed Virgin in the honor thereof. --Fuller.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Impaling'
Impalement is the traumatic penetration of an organism by an elongated foreign object such as a stake, pole, or spear, and usually implies complete perforation of the central mass of the impaled body. While the term may be used in reference to an unintentional accident, it is more frequently used in reference to the deliberate act as a method of torture and execution.
Impalement as a method of torture and execution involves the body of a person being pierced with a long stake. The penetration could be through the sides, through the rectum, through the vagina, or through the mouth. This method leads to a painful death, sometimes taking days. The stake would often be planted in the ground, leaving the impaled person suspended to die.
In some forms of impalement, the stake would be inserted so as to avoid immediate death, and would function as a plug to prevent blood loss. After preparation of the victim, perhaps including public torture and rape, the victim was stripped and an incision was made in the perineum between the genitals and rectum. A stout pole with a blunt end was inserted. A blunt end would push vital organs to the side, greatly slowing death.[See more about Impaling at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Impaling'
Impaling Sample Sentences in News
- Car's occupants escape impaling
Three people are lucky to be alive after the car they were travelling in smashed into a post and rail fence, Matamata police say. Read more on this news related to 'Impaling'
- Brazilian boy survives iron bar impaling
A Brazilian boy miraculously survived a severe pole accident, where a pole entered his armpit and exited his neck. Read more on this news related to 'Impaling'