Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Imminent'
adj : close in time; about to occur; "retribution is at hand";
"some people believe the day of judgment is close at
hand"; "in imminent danger"; "his impending retirement"
[syn: at hand(p), close at hand(p), impending]
- Imminent \Im"mi*nent\, a. [L. imminens, p. pr. of imminere to
project; pref. im- in + minere (in comp.) to jut, project.
- Threatening to occur immediately; near at hand; impending; -- said especially of misfortune or peril. ``In danger imminent.'' --Spenser.
- Full of danger; threatening; menacing; perilous. Hairbreadth scapes i' the imminent deadly breach. --Shak.
- (With upon) Bent upon; attentive to. [R.] Their eyes ever imminent upon worldly matters. --Milton. Syn: Impending; threatening; near; at hand. Usage: Imminent, Impending, Threatening. Imminent is the strongest: it denotes that something is ready to fall or happen on the instant; as, in imminent danger of one's life. Impending denotes that something hangs suspended over us, and may so remain indefinitely; as, the impending evils of war. Threatening supposes some danger in prospect, but more remote; as, threatening indications for the future. Three times to-day You have defended me from imminent death. --Shak. No story I unfold of public woes, Nor bear advices of impending foes. --Pope. Fierce faces threatening war. --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Imminent'
Imminent is a Belgian musical project formerly, and still commonly known as Imminent Starvation. It is a staple act of Germany’s industrial and power noise record label, Ant-Zen.
Imminent Starvation was founded by Olivier Moreau, who has been its only member since its inception. In 1999, Moreau destroyed his mixing table, and gave away its pieces with the limited edition of his release Nord. Shortly thereafter, the name Imminent Starvation was shortened to just Imminent.
Moreau participates in a number of side-projects and other collaborations, such as Axiome, Myrza, Ambre, Delta Files, 2 Be Freak, Torsion, and Urawa.[See more about Imminent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Imminent'
'Imminent' in famous quotation sentence
* As close as we are today, tomorrow when we come back from that battlefield, we will be as close as two men can possibly be, sharing a bond that can only be forged in the face of imminent disfigurement. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. - Jeff Melvoin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Imminent'