Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Imminent'
adj : close in time; about to occur; "retribution is at hand";
"some people believe the day of judgment is close at
hand"; "in imminent danger"; "his impending retirement"
[syn: at hand(p), close at hand(p), impending]
- Imminent \Im"mi*nent\, a. [L. imminens, p. pr. of imminere to
project; pref. im- in + minere (in comp.) to jut, project.
- Threatening to occur immediately; near at hand; impending; -- said especially of misfortune or peril. ``In danger imminent.'' --Spenser.
- Full of danger; threatening; menacing; perilous. Hairbreadth scapes i' the imminent deadly breach. --Shak.
- (With upon) Bent upon; attentive to. [R.] Their eyes ever imminent upon worldly matters. --Milton. Syn: Impending; threatening; near; at hand. Usage: Imminent, Impending, Threatening. Imminent is the strongest: it denotes that something is ready to fall or happen on the instant; as, in imminent danger of one's life. Impending denotes that something hangs suspended over us, and may so remain indefinitely; as, the impending evils of war. Threatening supposes some danger in prospect, but more remote; as, threatening indications for the future. Three times to-day You have defended me from imminent death. --Shak. No story I unfold of public woes, Nor bear advices of impending foes. --Pope. Fierce faces threatening war. --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Imminent'
Imminent is a Belgian musical project formerly, and still commonly known as Imminent Starvation. It is a staple act of Germany’s industrial and power noise record label, Ant-Zen.
Imminent Starvation was founded by Olivier Moreau, who has been its only member since its inception. In 1999, Moreau destroyed his mixing table, and gave away its pieces with the limited edition of his release Nord. Shortly thereafter, the name Imminent Starvation was shortened to just Imminent.
Moreau participates in a number of side-projects and other collaborations, such as Axiome, Myrza, Ambre, Delta Files, 2 Be Freak, Torsion, and Urawa.[See more about Imminent at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Imminent'
'Imminent' in famous quotation sentence
* As close as we are today, tomorrow when we come back from that battlefield, we will be as close as two men can possibly be, sharing a bond that can only be forged in the face of imminent disfigurement. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. - Jeff Melvoin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Imminent'
Imminent Sample Sentences in News
- Uganda foils Somalia Shebab cell plotting 'imminent attack': US
Ugandan security forces stopped a cell of Somalia's Al-Qaeda linked Shebab insurgents apparently "planning for an imminent attack," the US embassy said Saturday. Arrests were made, police said, in raids two weeks after Ugandan troops, fighting in Somalia, reportedly provided intelligence that helped US special forces kill the Shebab's chief in a Read more on this news related to 'Imminent'
- Uganda foils 'imminent' Al Shabaab attack, US says
The US government warns that the Al Qaeda-linked insurgents from Somalia could try to exact revenge for a US airstrike that killed the militant group's commander. read more Read more on this news related to 'Imminent'
- Kerry plays down hopes of imminent anti-Islamic State coalition
Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday played down chances of an imminent broad coalition against Islamic State militants, illustrating the difficulty Washington faces winning commitment for a military campaign in the heart of the Middle East. Kerry met Turkish leaders to try to secure support for U.S.-led action against Islamic State, but Ankara's reluctance Read more on this news related to 'Imminent'