Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Illness'
n : impairment of normal physiological function affecting part
or all of an organism [syn: unwellness, malady, sickness]
[ant: health, health]
- Illness \Ill"ness\, n. [From Ill.]
- The condition of being ill, evil, or bad; badness; unfavorableness. [Obs.] ``The illness of the weather.'' --Locke.
- Disease; indisposition; malady; disorder of health; sickness; as, a short or a severe illness.
- Wrong moral conduct; wickedness. --Shak. Syn: Malady; disease; indisposition; ailment. Usage: Illness, Sickness. Within the present century, there has been a tendency in England to use illness in the sense of a continuous disease, disorder of health, or sickness, and to confine sickness more especially to a sense of nausea, or ``sickness of the stomach.''
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Illness'
Illness (sometimes referred to as ill-health or ailment) is a state of poor health. Illness is sometimes considered a synonym for disease.
The mode of being healthy includes, as defined by the World Health Organization, " When these conditions are not fulfilled, then one can be considered to have an illness or be ill. Medication and the science of pharmacology is used to cure or reduce symptoms of an illness or medical conditions. Developmental disability is a term used to describe severe, life-long disabilities attributable to mental and/or physical impairments.
Conditions of the body or mind that cause pain, dysfunction, or distress to the person afflicted or those in contact with the person can be deemed an illness. Sometimes the term is used broadly to include injuries, disabilities, syndromes, infections, symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts these may be considered distinguishable categories. A pathogen or infectious agent is a biological agent that causes disease or illness to its host. A passenger virus is a virus that simply hitchhikes in the body of a person or infects the body without causing symptoms, illness or disease. Foodborne illness or food poisoning is any illness resulting from the consumption of food contaminated with pathogenic bacteria, toxins, viruses, prions or parasites.[See more about Illness at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Illness'
'Illness' in famous quotation sentence
* Fear is a question What are you afraid of, and why Just as the seed of health is in illness, because illness contains information, your fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if you explore them. - Marilyn Ferguson
* I cannot believe that my illness is natural. I suspect Satan, and therefore I am the more inclined to take it lightly. - Martin Luther
Click here for more related quotations on 'Illness'
Illness Sample Sentences in News
- Illness with Ebola-like symptoms kills several in Congo: locals
Democratic Republic of Congo has sent its health minister and a team of experts to the remote northern Equateur province after several people died there from a disease with Ebola-like symptoms, a local official and a professor said on Wednesday. "An illness is spreading in Boende but we don't know the origin," said Michel Wangi, a spokesman for the g Read more on this news related to 'Illness'
- Dealing With a Psychiatric Illness in College
When you leave high school with a diploma and a mental illness diagnosis, moving on to college can be pretty daunting. Whether it's anxiety, depression or bipolar disorder, you're challenged to cope with your condition while adjusting to life on campus. High school was tough for Megan Rogers, 22, who was diagnosed with depression. Read more on this news related to 'Illness'
- Illness with Ebola-like symptoms reportedly kills several in Congo
Several people have died in the Democratic Republic of Congo from an illness with symptoms similar to the deadly Ebola virus, said a local official. Read more on this news related to 'Illness'