Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Illiteracy'
- ignorance resulting from not reading
- an inability to read [syn: analphabetism] [ant: literacy]
- Illiteracy \Il*lit"er*a*cy\, n.; pl. Illiteracies. [From
- The state of being illiterate, or uneducated; want of learning, or knowledge; ignorance; specifically, inability to read and write; as, the illiteracy shown by the last census.
- An instance of ignorance; a literary blunder. The many blunders and illiteracies of the first publishers of his [Shakespeare's] works. --Pope.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Illiteracy'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Illiteracy'
Literacy means the ability to read and write. Being able to read and write is an important skill in modern societies. Usually, people learn how to read and write at school. People who can read and write are called literate; those who cannot are called illiterate.
According to the United Nations, illiteracy is not being able to write or read a simple sentence in any language. The UN estimated, that in 1998, about 16% of the world's population were illiterate.
Illiteracy is highest amongst the states of the Arab peninsula, and in Africa, around the Sahara. In those countries about 30% of men, and 40-50% of women are illiterate, by the UN definition. One of the causes of illiteracy is that someone who can manage to live without being able to read and write often does not have any reason to want to learn to read and write. Cultural factors also play a part, such as having a culture in which the oral tradition (communicating by speaking) is more important than writing. A tribe that mostly herds livestock, for example, may have no need to read or write.[See more about Illiteracy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Illiteracy'
Illiteracy Sample Sentences in News
- Dental Office in Pembroke Pines, FL Supports Marines in Battle Against Poverty and Illiteracy
PEMBROKE PINES, Fla., Dec. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dr. Liliana C. Gonzalez has joined the U.S. Marines in a campaign to attack poverty and illiteracy in our society through the U.S. Marines Toys for Tots and the Toys for Tots Literacry Program. While attending a special event and banquet in Florida honoring the U.S. Military for Toys for Tots, she learned that ov Read more on this news related to 'Illiteracy'
- Pakistan stands at 180th number in literacy rate at world level: UNESCO
ISLAMABAD: According to latest report of UN education department UNESCO, the illiteracy percentage was 79 percent in Pakistan in 2012 and the number of Pakistan was 180 in the list of 221 in big or small countries in the world. Read more on this news related to 'Illiteracy'
- Worldreader aims to eradicate global illiteracy by giving children e-readers
Watch Video | Listen to the Audio HARI SREENIVASAN: In recent years, tablets and e-readers have topped many holiday shopping lists. Jeffrey Brown looks at one program aimed at using that technology to get people to read. JEFFREY BROWN: More than 770 million people around the world are illiterate, according to UNESCO. The nonprofit organization Worldreader wants to Read more on this news related to 'Illiteracy'