Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Illiteracy'
- ignorance resulting from not reading
- an inability to read [syn: analphabetism] [ant: literacy]
- Illiteracy \Il*lit"er*a*cy\, n.; pl. Illiteracies. [From
- The state of being illiterate, or uneducated; want of learning, or knowledge; ignorance; specifically, inability to read and write; as, the illiteracy shown by the last census.
- An instance of ignorance; a literary blunder. The many blunders and illiteracies of the first publishers of his [Shakespeare's] works. --Pope.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Illiteracy'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Illiteracy'
Literacy means the ability to read and write. Being able to read and write is an important skill in modern societies. Usually, people learn how to read and write at school. People who can read and write are called literate; those who cannot are called illiterate.
According to the United Nations, illiteracy is not being able to write or read a simple sentence in any language. The UN estimated, that in 1998, about 16% of the world's population were illiterate.
Illiteracy is highest amongst the states of the Arab peninsula, and in Africa, around the Sahara. In those countries about 30% of men, and 40-50% of women are illiterate, by the UN definition. One of the causes of illiteracy is that someone who can manage to live without being able to read and write often does not have any reason to want to learn to read and write. Cultural factors also play a part, such as having a culture in which the oral tradition (communicating by speaking) is more important than writing. A tribe that mostly herds livestock, for example, may have no need to read or write.[See more about Illiteracy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Illiteracy'
Illiteracy Sample Sentences in News
- Atlantic joins fight against illiteracy, innumeracy
Primary schoolchildren in Point Fortin with literacy and numeracy challenges will now receive help through a new programme being developed by the Ministry of Education St Patrick district in partnership with LNG producer Atlantic. Read more on this news related to 'Illiteracy'
- Dr. Larry Kaplan Successfully Attacks a Major Source of Economic Destruction in the Battle Against Illiteracy and ...
Local Dentist and staff from Dental 2000 gathered with other leading colleagues for the semi-annual MGE Benefit Dinner where funds were raised to provide hundreds of thousands of books to youth in a frontal assault on one of the major sources of economic destruction in America. (PRWeb July 22, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/07/prwe Read more on this news related to 'Illiteracy'
- Russell Young DDS Successfully Attacks a Major Source of Economic Destruction in the Battle Against Illiteracy and ...
Local dentist and executive staff from SF Star Dental gathered with other leading colleagues for the semi-annual MGE Benefit Dinner where funds were raised to provide hundreds of thousands of books to youth in a frontal assault on one of the major sources of economic destruction in America. (PRWeb July 22, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases Read more on this news related to 'Illiteracy'