Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hungry'
- feeling hunger; feeling a need or desire to eat food; "a world full of hungry people" [ant: thirsty]
- (usually followed by `for') extremely desirous; "athirst for knowledge"; "hungry for recognition"; "thirsty for informaton" [syn: athirst(p), hungry(p), thirsty(p)] [also: hungriest, hungrier]
- Hungry \Hun"gry\, a. [Compar. Hungrier; superl. Hungriest.]
[AS. hungrid. See Hunger.]
- Feeling hunger; having a keen appetite; feeling uneasiness or distress from want of food; hence, having an eager desire.
- Showing hunger or a craving desire; voracious. The cruel, hungry foam. --C. Kingsley. Cassius has a lean and hungry look. --Shak.
- Not rich or fertile; poor; barren; starved; as, a hungry soil. ``The hungry beach.'' --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hungry'
Hunger is a feeling experienced when one has a need to eat food. Hunger is different from appetite, the desire (rather than need) to eat food. Satiety is the absence of hunger. The often unpleasant feeling of hunger originates from the hypothalamus releasing hormones that target receptors in the liver. Although a healthy, well-nourished individual can survive for weeks without food intake, the sensation of hunger typically manifests after only a few hours of without eating and is generally considered to be quite unpleasant.
Hunger is also the most commonly used term to describe the social condition of people who suffer from a chronic lack of sufficient food and constantly or frequently experience the physical sensation of hunger. (See Hunger).
When hunger contractions start to occur in the stomach, they are informally referred to as hunger pangs. Hunger pangs usually do not begin until 12 to 24 hours after the last ingestion of food. A single hunger contraction lasts about 30 seconds, and pangs continue for around 30–45 minutes, then hunger subsides for around 30–150 minutes.[See more about Hungry at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hungry'
'Hungry' in famous quotation sentence
* A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog. - Jack London
Click here for more related quotations on 'Hungry'
Hungry Sample Sentences in News
- HOSEA Feed the Hungry and Homeless 5th Annual "Labor of Love"
HOSEA Feed the Hungry and Homeless Partners With Georgia Department of Labor To Host Their 5th Annual "Labor Of Love" Event This event is designed to energize the city and reignite citizens exposing ... Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'
- Lunch Box Day Returns for Hungry Kids
On Friday 5 September Campbell Live is bringing back its popular 'Lunch Box' day in support of the KidsCan Charitable Trust. A $3 donation can be made by texting LUNCH to 2448, with 100 per cent of proceeds going to the charity. Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'
- Why you are always hungry
Although everybody feels hungry when their stomachs are empty and their blood sugar is low, most people also feel hungry when they see tempting foods, smell delicious aromas, or watch others eat. Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'