Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hungry'
- feeling hunger; feeling a need or desire to eat food; "a world full of hungry people" [ant: thirsty]
- (usually followed by `for') extremely desirous; "athirst for knowledge"; "hungry for recognition"; "thirsty for informaton" [syn: athirst(p), hungry(p), thirsty(p)] [also: hungriest, hungrier]
- Hungry \Hun"gry\, a. [Compar. Hungrier; superl. Hungriest.]
[AS. hungrid. See Hunger.]
- Feeling hunger; having a keen appetite; feeling uneasiness or distress from want of food; hence, having an eager desire.
- Showing hunger or a craving desire; voracious. The cruel, hungry foam. --C. Kingsley. Cassius has a lean and hungry look. --Shak.
- Not rich or fertile; poor; barren; starved; as, a hungry soil. ``The hungry beach.'' --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hungry'
Hunger is a feeling experienced when one has a need to eat food. Hunger is different from appetite, the desire (rather than need) to eat food. Satiety is the absence of hunger. The often unpleasant feeling of hunger originates from the hypothalamus releasing hormones that target receptors in the liver. Although a healthy, well-nourished individual can survive for weeks without food intake, the sensation of hunger typically manifests after only a few hours of without eating and is generally considered to be quite unpleasant.
Hunger is also the most commonly used term to describe the social condition of people who suffer from a chronic lack of sufficient food and constantly or frequently experience the physical sensation of hunger. (See Hunger).
When hunger contractions start to occur in the stomach, they are informally referred to as hunger pangs. Hunger pangs usually do not begin until 12 to 24 hours after the last ingestion of food. A single hunger contraction lasts about 30 seconds, and pangs continue for around 30–45 minutes, then hunger subsides for around 30–150 minutes.[See more about Hungry at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hungry'
'Hungry' in famous quotation sentence
* A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog. - Jack London
Click here for more related quotations on 'Hungry'
Hungry Sample Sentences in News
- Hungry bear heads up tree for a rest after gobbling up two chickens
NORTH VANCOUVER, B.C. - A B.C. conservation officer is hoping a hungry bear that gobbled up two chickens in a North Vancouver neighbourhood will soon climb out of a tree and head back to its habitat. Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'
- Denny’s New Hungry for Education Program to Award over $50,000 in Scholarships
Denny’s, Inc. , one of America's largest full-service restaurant chains, is pleased to announce the formation of the Hungry For Education scholarship program, now open for qualified student applicants across 12 targeted states within the Denny’s restaurant demographics . Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'
- Hungry TennCare eating more of state budget
JACKSON, Tenn. (AP) — State Treasurer David Lillard says expanding health care costs could absorb funding the state used to spend on other needs. The Jackson Sun (http://bit.ly/16eqTpT ) reported Lillard talked about the potential impact of the Affordable Care Act on Tennessee finances as he spoke to the West Tennessee Association of Health Underwriters on Thurs Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'