Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hungry'
- feeling hunger; feeling a need or desire to eat food; "a world full of hungry people" [ant: thirsty]
- (usually followed by `for') extremely desirous; "athirst for knowledge"; "hungry for recognition"; "thirsty for informaton" [syn: athirst(p), hungry(p), thirsty(p)] [also: hungriest, hungrier]
- Hungry \Hun"gry\, a. [Compar. Hungrier; superl. Hungriest.]
[AS. hungrid. See Hunger.]
- Feeling hunger; having a keen appetite; feeling uneasiness or distress from want of food; hence, having an eager desire.
- Showing hunger or a craving desire; voracious. The cruel, hungry foam. --C. Kingsley. Cassius has a lean and hungry look. --Shak.
- Not rich or fertile; poor; barren; starved; as, a hungry soil. ``The hungry beach.'' --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hungry'
Hunger is a feeling experienced when one has a need to eat food. Hunger is different from appetite, the desire (rather than need) to eat food. Satiety is the absence of hunger. The often unpleasant feeling of hunger originates from the hypothalamus releasing hormones that target receptors in the liver. Although a healthy, well-nourished individual can survive for weeks without food intake, the sensation of hunger typically manifests after only a few hours of without eating and is generally considered to be quite unpleasant.
Hunger is also the most commonly used term to describe the social condition of people who suffer from a chronic lack of sufficient food and constantly or frequently experience the physical sensation of hunger. (See Hunger).
When hunger contractions start to occur in the stomach, they are informally referred to as hunger pangs. Hunger pangs usually do not begin until 12 to 24 hours after the last ingestion of food. A single hunger contraction lasts about 30 seconds, and pangs continue for around 30–45 minutes, then hunger subsides for around 30–150 minutes.[See more about Hungry at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hungry'
'Hungry' in famous quotation sentence
* A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog. - Jack London
Click here for more related quotations on 'Hungry'
Hungry Sample Sentences in News
- Hungry? Avoid serious conversations with your spouse.
You lack self-control when you're hungry and are most likely to take it out on an intimate partner. Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'
- Fight With Your Spouse? You Might Just Be Hungry
According to Bloomberg, research released in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences indicates that dieting, skipping a meal, or just being hungry can be a recipe for disaster when it comes to spousal interactions. Brad Bushman, the lead study author, said the findings are some of the first to depict the relationship between low sugar levels and the pr Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'
- Hungry Housing Investors Turn to Heartland
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Institutional investors who've been snapping up homes in Las Vegas, South Florida and other rebounding housing markets have begun branching out to Columbus, Knoxville and other locales well off the beaten path, market watcher RealtyTrac says. "Institutional buyers have burned through the available inventory of property in the ' Read more on this news related to 'Hungry'