Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'However'
- despite anything to the contrary (usually following a concession); "although I'm a little afraid, however I'd like to try it"; "while we disliked each other, nevertheless we agreed"; "he was a stern yet fair master"; "granted that it is dangerous, all the same I still want to go" [syn: nevertheless, withal, still, yet, all the same, even so, nonetheless, notwithstanding]
- by contrast; on the other hand; "the first part was easy; the second, however, took hours"
- to whatever degree or extent; "The results, however general, are important"; "they have begun, however reluctantly, to acknowledge the legitimacy of some of the opposition's concerns"
- in whatever way or manner; "Victory, however it was brought about, was sweet"; "however he did it, it was very clever"
- in what way or manner or by what means (`however' is sometimes used as an intensive form of `how'); "how did you catch the snake?"; "he told us how he did it"; "however did you get here so soon?" [syn: how]
- However \How*ev"er\, adv. [Sometimes contracted into howe'er.]
- In whetever manner, way, or degree. However yet they me despise and spite. --Spenser. Howe'er the business goes, you have made fault. --Shak.
- At all events; at least; in any case. Our chief end is to be freed from all, if it may be, however from the greatest evils. --Tillotson.
- However \How*ev"er\, conj.
Nevertheless; notwithstanding; yet; still; though; as, I
shall not oppose your design; I can not, however, approve of
In your excuse your love does little say; You might
howe'er have took a better way. --Dryden.
Syn: However, At least, Nevertheless, Yet.
Usage: These words, as here compared, have an adversative
sense in reference to something referred to in the
context. However is the most general, and leads to a
final conclusion or decision. Thus we say, the truth,
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'However'
However is the 12th single release by Japanese band Glay on August 6, 1997. It debuted at #1 on the Oricon chart, appearing at that position for 5 weeks in total, selling 1,341,980 copies.
The title song was used as ending song for the TV-drama "Ryakudatsu Ai Abunai Onna" (略奪愛・アブない女, lit. "Despoiled Love: Dangerous Woman"?) aired on TBS channel, whose opening theme was another Glay song, Freeze my Love, and all the music was instrumental versions of Glay's songs.
"However" has been recorded by Kiyoshi Maekawa in his album Ballad Selection, in 1999, and by Ayumi Nakamura in her album Voice, in 2008.[See more about However at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'However'
'However' in famous quotation sentence
* The beginning of faith is the beginning of fruitfulness but the beginning of unbelief, however glittering, is empty. - Johann von Goethe
* The man who in view of gain thinks of righteousness who in the view of danger is prepared to give up his life and who does not forget an old agreement however far back it extends - such a man may be reckoned a complete man. - Confucius
Click here for more related quotations on 'However'
However Sample Sentences in News
- Crises Can Create Investment Opportunities
However, during crises, some investors, including myself, have frequently found opportunities to build up long-term positions in select stock markets that have become very reasonable, often even mispriced. Take South Korea in 1999, during their "International Monetary Fund crisis," or in China in the early 2000s, when the news on China was much more nega Read more on this news related to 'However'
- RHETORIC & CASH AID cannot eradicate poverty
Former Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's remarks have always been highly controversial. However, his comments on the 1Malaysia People’s Aid (BR1M) cash handout programme,… Read more on this news related to 'However'
- Player Ratings: Udinese 1-0 Milan
The 17-year-old showed some rawness when defending crosses, however he proved his shotstopping potential with some fine saves to deny Pazzini and Robinho. Read more on this news related to 'However'