Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Horsetail'
n : perennial rushlike flowerless herbs with jointed hollow
stems and narrow toothlike leaves that spread by creeping
rhizomes; tend to become weedy; common in northern
hemisphere; some in Africa and South America
- Horsetail \Horse"tail`\, n.
- (Bot.) A leafless plant, with hollow and rushlike stems. It is of the genus Equisetum, and is allied to the ferns. See Illust. of Equisetum.
- A Turkish standard, denoting rank. Note: Commanders are distinguished by the number of horsetails carried before them. Thus, the sultan has seven, the grand vizier five, and the pashas three, two, or one. Shrubby horsetail. (Bot.) See Joint-fir.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Horsetail'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Horsetail'
The horsetails are a class in the Pteridophyta (ferns). They were which one of the most important plant groups in the Palaeozoic era. They are seen in the coal measures of the Carboniferous period, and some were trees reaching up 30 metres. The group is now almost extinct, but one genus survives. They are vascular plants that reproduce by spores and not by seeds. The name horsetail arose because the branched species somewhat resemble a horse's tail.
Equisetum is the only living genus of horsetails. The name Equisetum comes from the Latin (equus = horse; and seta = bristle). The genus includes 15 species. One can find horsetails on all continents except from Australasia and Antarctica. They are perennial plants, either herbaceous, they back in winter (most temperate species) or they are evergreen (some tropical species, and the temperate species Equisetum hyemale, E. scirpoides, E. variegatum and E. ramosissimum). They mostly grow 0.2-1.5 m tall, though E. telmateia can exceptionally reach 2.5 m, and the tropical American species E. giganteum 5 m, and E. myriochaetum 8 m.[See more about Horsetail at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Horsetail Sample Sentences in News
- Search underway for lost hiker near Horsetail Falls
The hiker told the caller that she had set out on Monday afternoon on a camping trip and thought she was hiking near Horsetail Falls with her dog. Read more on this news related to 'Horsetail'
- Crews find hiker who was missing near Horsetail Falls in the Gorge
Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office deputies said they’ve tried to ping the hiker’s cellphone to pinpoint her location, but that effort has so far been unsuccessful. Read more on this news related to 'Horsetail'
- Lost hiker in Columbia River Gorge found safe
Searchers have found a woman who was lost on a hike near Horsetail Falls in the Columbia River Gorge about 30 miles east of Portland. Read more on this news related to 'Horsetail'