Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hoot'
Hoot Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a loud raucous cry (as of an owl)
- a cry or noise made to express displeasure or contempt [syn: boo, Bronx cheer, hiss, raspberry, razzing, snort, bird]
- something of little value; "his promise is not worth a damn"; "not worth one red cent"; "not worth shucks" [syn: damn, darn, red cent, shit, shucks, tinker's damn, tinker's dam] v : to utter a loud clamorous shout; "the toughs and blades of the city hoot and bang their drums, drink arak, play dice, and dance"
- Hoot \Hoot\ (h[=oo]t), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hooted; p. pr. &
vb. n. Hooting.] [OE. hoten, houten, huten; cf. OSw. huta,
Sw. huta ut to take one up sharply, fr. Sw. hut interj.,
begone! cf. also W. hwt off! off with it! away! hoot!]
- To cry out or shout in contempt. Matrons and girls shall hoot at thee no more. --Dryden.
- To make the peculiar cry of an owl. The clamorous owl that nightly hoots. --Shak.
- Hoot \Hoot\, v. t.
To assail with contemptuous cries or shouts; to follow with
Partridge and his clan may hoot me for a cheat.
- Hoot \Hoot\, n.
- A derisive cry or shout. --Glanvill.
- The cry of an owl.
Hoot owl (Zo["o]l.), the barred owl (Syrnium nebulosum).
See Barred owl.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hoot'
- Hoot: Hoot generally refers to the call of an owl . It could also refer to: Hoot (torpedo) Hoot (comic book) Hoot (novel), a novel by Carl Hiaasen ...
- Hoot (EP): Hoot (훗; subtitled 009) is the third mini-album by a South Korean girl group , Girls' Generation . The mini-album consisted of five ...
- Hoot (film): Hoot is a 2006 American family comedy film based on Carl Hiaasen 's novel of the same name . It was directed by Wil Shriner and ...
- Hoot Gibson: Hoot Gibson (August 6, 1892 – August 23, 1962) was an American rodeo champion and a pioneer cowboy film actor , director and producer . ...
- Hoot (novel): Hoot is a young adult novel by Carl Hiaasen . The story takes place in Coconut Cove, Florida where Roy and his two new friends try to ...
- Hoot (song): "Hoot" is the lead single from Hoot , the 3rd EP of South Korea n girl group Girls' Generation . History: "Hoot" was released on October 25 ...
- Hoot (missile): Hoot (حوت; Whale) is an Iran ian supercavitation torpedo that travels at approximately 360 km/h, several times faster than a conventional ...
- Hoot (comics): Hoot was a UK comic book that ran from (issues dates) 26 October 1985 to 25 October 1986, when it merged with The Dandy . Its cover ...
- Hoot Gibson filmography: NOTOC_These are the films of Hoot Gibson -1910 - 1911 - 1912 - 1913 - 1914 - 1915 - 1916 - 1917 - 1918 - 1919 - 1920 - 1921 - ...
Words and phrases related to 'Hoot'
Hoot Sample Sentences in News
- Bolton residents save £1 million with Hoot
CREDIT union Hoot has hit the jackpot — after savers in Bolton helped it collect £1 million. Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'
- Lafayette College student helps save shark bite victim
It turns out a student from a local college was one of the people who jumped into action to help a man recently bitten by a great white shark in California. Justin Hoot will be a junior at Lafayette. He is home in California for the summer and was working at a surfboard rental tent in Manhattan Beach when the shark attack happened Saturday. At first he thought wha Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'
- Yours and Owls birthday bash to be a hoot
The Yours and Owls fourth birthday party has been announced, and it's HUGE. Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'