Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hoot'
Hoot Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a loud raucous cry (as of an owl)
- a cry or noise made to express displeasure or contempt [syn: boo, Bronx cheer, hiss, raspberry, razzing, snort, bird]
- something of little value; "his promise is not worth a damn"; "not worth one red cent"; "not worth shucks" [syn: damn, darn, red cent, shit, shucks, tinker's damn, tinker's dam] v : to utter a loud clamorous shout; "the toughs and blades of the city hoot and bang their drums, drink arak, play dice, and dance"
- Hoot \Hoot\ (h[=oo]t), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hooted; p. pr. &
vb. n. Hooting.] [OE. hoten, houten, huten; cf. OSw. huta,
Sw. huta ut to take one up sharply, fr. Sw. hut interj.,
begone! cf. also W. hwt off! off with it! away! hoot!]
- To cry out or shout in contempt. Matrons and girls shall hoot at thee no more. --Dryden.
- To make the peculiar cry of an owl. The clamorous owl that nightly hoots. --Shak.
- Hoot \Hoot\, v. t.
To assail with contemptuous cries or shouts; to follow with
Partridge and his clan may hoot me for a cheat.
- Hoot \Hoot\, n.
- A derisive cry or shout. --Glanvill.
- The cry of an owl.
Hoot owl (Zo["o]l.), the barred owl (Syrnium nebulosum).
See Barred owl.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hoot'
- Hoot: Hoot generally refers to the call of an owl . It could also refer to: Hoot (torpedo) Hoot (comic book) Hoot (novel), a novel by Carl Hiaasen ...
- Hoot (EP): Hoot (훗; subtitled 009) is the third mini-album by a South Korean girl group , Girls' Generation . The mini-album consisted of five ...
- Hoot (film): Hoot is a 2006 American family comedy film based on Carl Hiaasen 's novel of the same name . It was directed by Wil Shriner and ...
- Hoot Gibson: Hoot Gibson (August 6, 1892 – August 23, 1962) was an American rodeo champion and a pioneer cowboy film actor , director and producer . ...
- Hoot (novel): Hoot is a young adult novel by Carl Hiaasen . The story takes place in Coconut Cove, Florida where Roy and his two new friends try to ...
- Hoot (song): "Hoot" is the lead single from Hoot , the 3rd EP of South Korea n girl group Girls' Generation . History: "Hoot" was released on October 25 ...
- Hoot (missile): Hoot (حوت; Whale) is an Iran ian supercavitation torpedo that travels at approximately 360 km/h, several times faster than a conventional ...
- Hoot (comics): Hoot was a UK comic book that ran from (issues dates) 26 October 1985 to 25 October 1986, when it merged with The Dandy . Its cover ...
- Hoot Gibson filmography: NOTOC_These are the films of Hoot Gibson -1910 - 1911 - 1912 - 1913 - 1914 - 1915 - 1916 - 1917 - 1918 - 1919 - 1920 - 1921 - ...
Words and phrases related to 'Hoot'
Hoot Sample Sentences in News
- A 'hoot' or an insult? 'Fargo' television series debuts on FX
Minnesotans have been living with the legacy of the dark comedy of the Coen brothers' 1996 film "Fargo," and it'll be back Tuesday night in a new 10-part TV series from FX. Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'
- Fire reported on Hoot Owl Hollow
A fire was reported at 1248 Hoot Owl Hollow in rural Keota around 11 a.m. this morning. Black smoke was seen coming from a machine shed on the property. No injuries were reported. The Keota Fire Department, Brighton Fire Department, and Washington Fire Department have all responded to the scene. The Journal will bring you more information as it comes available. Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'
- Instances of censorship on the rise: The Hoot
Long list of agents against free expression Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'