Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hoot'
Hoot Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a loud raucous cry (as of an owl)
- a cry or noise made to express displeasure or contempt [syn: boo, Bronx cheer, hiss, raspberry, razzing, snort, bird]
- something of little value; "his promise is not worth a damn"; "not worth one red cent"; "not worth shucks" [syn: damn, darn, red cent, shit, shucks, tinker's damn, tinker's dam] v : to utter a loud clamorous shout; "the toughs and blades of the city hoot and bang their drums, drink arak, play dice, and dance"
- Hoot \Hoot\ (h[=oo]t), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Hooted; p. pr. &
vb. n. Hooting.] [OE. hoten, houten, huten; cf. OSw. huta,
Sw. huta ut to take one up sharply, fr. Sw. hut interj.,
begone! cf. also W. hwt off! off with it! away! hoot!]
- To cry out or shout in contempt. Matrons and girls shall hoot at thee no more. --Dryden.
- To make the peculiar cry of an owl. The clamorous owl that nightly hoots. --Shak.
- Hoot \Hoot\, v. t.
To assail with contemptuous cries or shouts; to follow with
Partridge and his clan may hoot me for a cheat.
- Hoot \Hoot\, n.
- A derisive cry or shout. --Glanvill.
- The cry of an owl.
Hoot owl (Zo["o]l.), the barred owl (Syrnium nebulosum).
See Barred owl.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hoot'
- Hoot: Hoot generally refers to the call of an owl . It could also refer to: Hoot (torpedo) Hoot (comic book) Hoot (novel), a novel by Carl Hiaasen ...
- Hoot (EP): Hoot (훗; subtitled 009) is the third mini-album by a South Korean girl group , Girls' Generation . The mini-album consisted of five ...
- Hoot (film): Hoot is a 2006 American family comedy film based on Carl Hiaasen 's novel of the same name . It was directed by Wil Shriner and ...
- Hoot Gibson: Hoot Gibson (August 6, 1892 – August 23, 1962) was an American rodeo champion and a pioneer cowboy film actor , director and producer . ...
- Hoot (novel): Hoot is a young adult novel by Carl Hiaasen . The story takes place in Coconut Cove, Florida where Roy and his two new friends try to ...
- Hoot (song): "Hoot" is the lead single from Hoot , the 3rd EP of South Korea n girl group Girls' Generation . History: "Hoot" was released on October 25 ...
- Hoot (missile): Hoot (حوت; Whale) is an Iran ian supercavitation torpedo that travels at approximately 360 km/h, several times faster than a conventional ...
- Hoot (comics): Hoot was a UK comic book that ran from (issues dates) 26 October 1985 to 25 October 1986, when it merged with The Dandy . Its cover ...
- Hoot Gibson filmography: NOTOC_These are the films of Hoot Gibson -1910 - 1911 - 1912 - 1913 - 1914 - 1915 - 1916 - 1917 - 1918 - 1919 - 1920 - 1921 - ...
Words and phrases related to 'Hoot'
Hoot Sample Sentences in News
- Broad Channel hears a hoot
It may not be peak birding season, but those who enjoy looking at the feathered fauna in the borough should grab their coats and goggles and head for Jamaica Bay.The snowy owl is showing up in droves Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch The Award-Winning British Comedy Short 'Tooty's Wedding'
A young couple's marriage hilariously hits the rocks during a weekend wedding in the award-winning British indie comedy short film 'Tooty's Wedding'. And now, thanks to producers Hoot Comedy , you can watch it for free - above. 'Tooty's Wedding' stars rising British comedy stars Mathew Baynton, Daisy Haggard, Laura Solon and Ben Willbon Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'
- ANN ARBOR: Learn the call of owls at Leslie Science and Nature Center
What is that mysterious animal trilling in the night around the area, sounding eerie and almost ghost-like? It couldn’t be an owl - don’t they just hoot? Read more on this news related to 'Hoot'