Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Homicide'
n : the killing of a human being by another human being
- Homicide \Hom"i*cide\, n. [F., fr. L. homicidium, fr. homicida a
man slayer; homo man + caedere to cut, kill. See Homage,
and cf. Concise, Shed, v. t.]
- The killing of one human being by another. Note: Homicide is of three kinds: justifiable, as when the killing is performed in the exercise of a right or performance of a duty; excusable, as when done, although not as duty or right, yet without culpable or criminal intent; and felonious, or involving what the law terms malice; the latter may be either manslaughter or murder. --Bouvier.
- One who kills another; a manslayer. --Chaucer. Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Homicide'
Homicide (Latin: homicidium, Latin: homo human being + Latin: caedere to cut, kill) refers to the act of a human killing another human. A common form of homicide, for example, would be murder. It can also describe a person who has committed such an act, though this use is rare in modern English. Homicide is not always a punishable act under the criminal law, and is different than a murder from such formal legal point of view.
Homicide is the killing of one human by another. The killing of another, homicide, is not a crime unless the circumstances of a particular homicide fall within outlawed behavior. If a homicide is justified or excused, it is not a crime. One of the most recognized justifications is self defense, which provides, in part, that in certain circumstances a person is justified in killing another to protect his own life from a deadly attack.[See more about Homicide at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Homicide'
'Homicide' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Homicide'
Homicide Sample Sentences in News
- Woman shot multiple times on Law Street dies at hospital
Homicide detectives are investigating the fatal shooting Tuesday of a 26-year-old woman in the Seventh Ward. Read more on this news related to 'Homicide'
- Homicide Diary: Sgt. Willie Davis
'We're not talking, we're shooting' by David Koon Sgt. Willie Davis has been with the Little Rock Police Department for 23 years, and works with the Little Rock chapter of the national Our Kids (OK) Program, which recruits at-risk African-American boys in the sixth grade and follows them through high school, providing mentorship and support. Every Read more on this news related to 'Homicide'
- CPD investigating death of 2-year-old
Cincinnati Police homicide detectives are investigating the death of a toddler after he passed away at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. Read more on this news related to 'Homicide'