Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Homicide'
n : the killing of a human being by another human being
- Homicide \Hom"i*cide\, n. [F., fr. L. homicidium, fr. homicida a
man slayer; homo man + caedere to cut, kill. See Homage,
and cf. Concise, Shed, v. t.]
- The killing of one human being by another. Note: Homicide is of three kinds: justifiable, as when the killing is performed in the exercise of a right or performance of a duty; excusable, as when done, although not as duty or right, yet without culpable or criminal intent; and felonious, or involving what the law terms malice; the latter may be either manslaughter or murder. --Bouvier.
- One who kills another; a manslayer. --Chaucer. Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Homicide'
Homicide (Latin: homicidium, Latin: homo human being + Latin: caedere to cut, kill) refers to the act of a human killing another human. A common form of homicide, for example, would be murder. It can also describe a person who has committed such an act, though this use is rare in modern English. Homicide is not always a punishable act under the criminal law, and is different than a murder from such formal legal point of view.
Homicide is the killing of one human by another. The killing of another, homicide, is not a crime unless the circumstances of a particular homicide fall within outlawed behavior. If a homicide is justified or excused, it is not a crime. One of the most recognized justifications is self defense, which provides, in part, that in certain circumstances a person is justified in killing another to protect his own life from a deadly attack.[See more about Homicide at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Homicide'
'Homicide' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Homicide'
Homicide Sample Sentences in News
- Homicide suspect escapes from tribal jail
PARKER, Ariz. (AP) — Authorities are searching for a homicide suspect who remains at large after escaping from the Colorado River Indian Tribes jail in Parker in western Arizona. Read more on this news related to 'Homicide'
- Colorado triple homicide suspect was mother's boy friend
Colorado triple homicide: Police charged Jaacob Vanwinkle with triple homicide, kidnapping, and sexual assault. A mother and two children were found dead in Canon City, Colorado. A teenage girl had been assaulted. Read more on this news related to 'Homicide'
- Triple homicide stuns community
The community is trying to come to grips after a triple homicide Sunday night in Cañon City. The victims were two young children and their mother. Read more on this news related to 'Homicide'