Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hiking'
- Hike \Hike\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hiked; p. pr. & vb. n.
Hiking.] [Cf. Hitch.]
To move with a swing, toss, throw, jerk, or the like. [Dial.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hiking'
Hiking is an outdoor activity which consists of walking in natural environments, often on hiking trails. It is such a popular activity that there are numerous hiking organizations worldwide. The health benefits of different types of hiking have been confirmed in studies. The word hiking is understood in all English-speaking countries, but there are differences in usage.
In the United States and United Kingdom, hiking refers to cross-country walking of a longer duration than a simple walk and usually over terrain where hiking boots are required. from end-to-end is also referred to as trekking and as thru-hiking in some places, for example on the Appalachian Trail (AT) or Long Trail (LT) in Vermont. The Long Trail is the oldest long-distance hiking trail in the United States.
Hiking is one of the fundamental outdoor activities on which many others are based. Many beautiful places can only be reached overland by hiking, and enthusiasts regard hiking as the best way to see nature. Hikers see it as better than a tour in a vehicle of any kind (or on an animal; see horseback riding) because the hiker's senses are not intruded upon by distractions such as windows, engine noise, airborne dust and fellow passengers. Hiking over long distances or over difficult terrain requires both the physical ability to do the hike and the knowledge of the route and its pitfalls.[See more about Hiking at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hiking'
'Hiking' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Hiking'
Hiking Sample Sentences in News
- Best long-distance hiking trails in South Africa
1. Fanie Botha trail, Mpumalanga One of the first multi-day trails to be laid out in South Africa (as part of the National Hiking Way in the 1960s), Mpumalanga’s Fanie Botha trail is still among the best. It’s famous for its beautiful views, spectacular swimming holes and waterfalls, two of which – Mac Mac and Lone Creek Falls – are national monuments. Read more on this news related to 'Hiking'
- Search on for N.J. student missing while hiking near Jerusalem
A young Orthodox Jewish man from Lakewood, N.J., is the object of a massive search in Israel after he went missing Friday while hiking in woods outside Jerusalem. Read more on this news related to 'Hiking'
- Speed hiking through nature
Columnist Froma Harrop wonders if the marvels of nature and speed hiking mix. Read more on this news related to 'Hiking'