Hedge Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a fence formed by a row of closely planted shrubs or bushes
- an intentionally noncommittal or ambiguous statement; "when you say `maybe'' you are just hedging"
- any technique designed to reduce or eliminate financial risk; for example, taking two positions that will offset each other if prices change
- minimize loss or risk; "diversify your financial portfolio to hedge price risks"; "hedge your bets"
- avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues); "He dodged the issue"; "she skirted the problem"; "They tend to evade their responsibilities"; "he evaded the questions skillfully"
- enclose or bound in with or as it with a hedge or hedges; "hedge the property"
- hinder or restrict with or as if with a hedge; "The animals were hedged in"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a fence formed by a row of closely planted shrubs or bushes ,
- any technique designed to reduce or eliminate financial risk; for example, taking two positions that will offset each other if prices change ,
- an intentionally noncommittal or ambiguous statement; "when you say `maybe' you are just hedging"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Hedge'?
Hedge Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A hedge or hedgerow is a row of shrubs or trees. They are very close together. Some hedges are very old. Hedges can be used to separate fields. There are several plants that are used commonly in hedges. In many places a hedge cannot be taller than a certain number of feet.
Sometimes, hedges are made into mazes.
Words and phrases related to 'Hedge'
Hedge Sample Sentences in News
- Why hedge funds also bought housing and agriculture ETFs
Agriculture ETFs gained popularity in the first quarter and the beginning of the second quarter. Harsh weather conditions lifted prices for commodities. Read more on this news related to 'Hedge'
- Why hedge funds show interest in Japanese ETFs
DXJ tracks the performance of the WisdomTree Japan Hedged Equity Index. The Index and the fund are designed to provide exposure to equity securities in Japan. Read more on this news related to 'Hedge'
- Hedge funds muscle into reinsurance, attracting doubters
Hedge funds are muscling their way into the market to share the cost of cleaning up after natural catastrophes, but sceptics are questioning whether they will stick around ahead of the next "big one" as underwriting returns fall. Hedge funds have long been big buyers of insurance-linked securities such as catastrophe bonds, which pay high yields until a Read more on this news related to 'Hedge'