Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Heat'
- a form of energy that is transferred by a difference in temperature [syn: heat energy]
- the presence of heat [syn: hotness, high temperature] [ant: coldness]
- the sensation caused by heat energy [syn: warmth]
- intense passion or emotion [syn: warmth, passion]
- applies to nonhuman mammals: a state or period of heightened sexual arousal and activity [syn: estrus, oestrus, rut] [ant: anestrus]
- a preliminary race in which the winner advances to a more important race
- utility to warm a building; "the heating system wasn't working"; "they have radiant heating" [syn: heating system, heating plant, heating] v
- make hot or hotter; "heat the soup" [syn: heat up] [ant: cool]
- provide with heat; "heat the house"
- arouse or excite feelings and passions; "The ostentatious way of living of the rich ignites the hatred of the poor"; "The refugees' fate stirred up compassion around the world"; "Wake old feelings of hatred" [syn: inflame, stir up, wake, ignite, fire up]
- gain heat or get hot; "The room heated up quickly" [syn: hot up, heat up] [ant: cool]
- Heat \Heat\, n. [OE. hete, h[ae]te, AS. h?tu, h?to, fr. h[=a]t
hot; akin to OHG. heizi heat, Dan. hede, Sw. hetta. See
- A force in nature which is recognized in various effects,
but especially in the phenomena of fusion and evaporation,
and which, as manifested in fire, the sun's rays,
mechanical action, chemical combination, etc., becomes
directly known to us through the sense of feeling. In its
nature heat is a mode if motion, being in general a form
of molecular disturbance or vibration. It was formerly
supposed to be a subtile, imponderable fluid, to which was
given the name caloric.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Heat'
In physics and thermodynamics, heat is energy transferred from one body or thermodynamic system to another due to thermal contact when the systems are at different temperatures. It is also often described as the process of transfer of energy between physical entities. In this description, it is an energy transfer to the body in any other way than due to work performed on the body.
In engineering, energy transfer by heat between objects is classified as either thermal conduction, first described scientifically by Joseph Fourier, by fluid convection, which is the mixing of hot and cold fluid regions due to pressure differentials, and by thermal radiation, the transmission of electromagnetic radiation described by black body theory.
Thermodynamically, energy can only be transferred by heat between objects, or regions within an object, with different temperatures, a consequence of the zeroth law of thermodynamics. This transfer happens spontaneously only in the direction to the colder body, as per the second law of thermodynamics. The transfer of energy by heat from one object to another object with an equal or higher temperature can happen only with the aid of a heat pump via mechanical work or by using mirrors or lenses to focus electromagnetic radiation which thereby increase its energy flux density.[See more about Heat at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Heat'
'Heat' in famous quotation sentence
* All sanity depends on this that is should be a delight to feel heat strike the skin, a delight to stand upright, knowing the bones are moving easily under the flesh. - Doris Lessing
* Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders, than from the arguments of its opposers. - William Penn
Click here for more related quotations on 'Heat'
Heat Sample Sentences in News
- Heat 99, Wizards 90
MIAMI -- The two-time NBA champion Miami Heat snapped a rare three-game losing streak, beating the Washington Wizards 99-90 on Monday night at AmericanAirlines Arena. Forward LeBron James led the Heat with 23 points, seven rebounds, eight assists and three steals. Heat guard Dwyane Wade, playing on back-to-back nights despite his sore knees for just the third time Read more on this news related to 'Heat'
- Heat halt three-game losing streak
MIAMI - Miami Heat Coach Erik Spoelstra said he felt good about Monday night's game against the Washington Wizards the second forward LeBron James arrived at AmericanAirlines Arena for a walk-through. Actually, there was no walking involved - James sprinted in, came up to every player and coach and said: "Let's go! Let's get ready for this game!&q Read more on this news related to 'Heat'
- Heat top Wizards to clinch playoff berth
The Miami Heat clinched a playoff spot and snapped a three-game losing skid by beating the Washington Wizards 99-90 behind a 23-point performance from LeBron James. Dwyane Wade scored 13 of his 22 points in the fourth quarter in front of a crowd of 19,657 at the AmericanAirlines Arena. "This was a game that showed some growth," said Miami coach Erik Spoe Read more on this news related to 'Heat'