Heat Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- utility to warm a building; "the heating system wasn''t working"; "they have radiant heating"
- intense passion or emotion
- the presence of heat
- the sensation caused by heat energy
- a preliminary race in which the winner advances to a more important race
- a form of energy that is transferred by a difference in temperature
- applies to nonhuman mammals: a state or period of heightened sexual arousal and activity
- make hot or hotter; "heat the soup"
- gain heat or get hot; "The room heated up quickly"
- arouse or excite feelings and passions; "The ostentatious way of living of the rich ignites the hatred of the poor"; "The refugees'' fate stirred up compassion around the world"; "Wake old feelings of hatred"
- provide with heat; "heat the house"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a form of energy that is transferred by a difference in temperature ,
- the presence of heat ,
- the sensation caused by heat energy ,
- the trait of being intensely emotional ,
- applies to nonhuman mammals: a state or period of heightened sexual arousal and activity ,
- a preliminary race in which the winner advances to a more important race ,
- utility to warm a building; "the heating system wasn't working"; "they have radiant heating"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Heat'?
Heat Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Heat is a form of energy. In thermodynamics, heat means energy which is moved between two things when one of them is hotter than the other.
Heat is not the same as temperature. The temperature of an object is a measure of the average speed of the moving particles it is made from and the energy of the particles is called the internal energy. When an object is heated, its internal energy can increase to make the object hotter. The first law of thermodynamics says that the increase in internal energy is equal to the heat added minus the work done on the surroundings.
Thermal energy is the type of energy that a thing has because of its temperature. In thermodynamics, thermal energy is the internal energy present in a system in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium because of its temperature.
Words and phrases related to 'Heat'
'Heat' example sentence in quotations
* All sanity depends on this that is should be a delight to feel heat strike the skin, a delight to stand upright, knowing the bones are moving easily under the flesh. - Doris Lessing
* Truth often suffers more by the heat of its defenders, than from the arguments of its opposers. - William Penn
Click here for more related quotations on 'Heat'
Heat Sample Sentences in News
- Koch Heat Transfer Acquires ALCO Products and Bos-Hatten Heat Exchanger Brands from Peerless Mfg. Co.
Koch Heat Transfer Company, LP has purchased the Alco, Alco-Twin, and Bos-Hatten brands of heat exchangers from Peerless Mfg. Co. . Read more on this news related to 'Heat'
- Heat Biologics Posts Wider Loss Y/Y, Focus on Pipeline - Analyst Blog
Heat Biologics, Inc. (HTBX) reported a loss of $1.83 per share in 2014, wider than the year-ago loss of $1.81 per share. Read more on this news related to 'Heat'
- Ailing Wade, aching Heat find a way to beat Pistons, 109-102
Dwyane Wade was playing a day after having fluid drained from his left knee. Udonis Haslem is dealing with a slew of injuries, including problems with both ankles. An already decimated Miami Heat roster had two more players scratched at halftime. Wade scored 19 of his 40 points in the fourth quarter, Haslem set season highs with 18 points and 13 rebounds, and the Read more on this news related to 'Heat'