Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Hair'
- dense growth of hairs covering the body or parts of it (as on the human head); helps prevent heat loss; "he combed his hair"
- a very small distance or space; "they escaped by a hair's-breadth"; "they lost the election by a whisker" [syn: hair's-breadth, hairsbreadth, whisker]
- filamentous hairlike growth on a plant; "peach fuzz" [syn: fuzz, tomentum]
- any of the cylindrical filaments characteristically growing from the epidermis of a mammal; "there is a hair in my soup" [syn: pilus]
- cloth woven from horsehair or camelhair; used for upholstery or stiffening in garments [syn: haircloth]
- a filamentous projection or process on an organism
- Hair \Hair\, n. [OE. her, heer, h[ae]r, AS. h[=ae]r; akin to
OFries, h[=e]r, D. & G. haar, OHG. & Icel. h[=a]r, Dan. haar,
Sw. h[*a]r; cf. Lith. kasa.]
- The collection or mass of filaments growing from the skin of an animal, and forming a covering for a part of the head or for any part or the whole of the body.
- One the above-mentioned filaments, consisting, in invertebrate animals, of a long, tubular part which is free and flexible, and a bulbous root imbedded in the skin. Then read he me how Sampson lost his hairs. --Chaucer. And draweth new delights with hoary hairs. --Spenser.
- Hair (human or animal) used for various purposes; as, hair for stuffing cushions.
- (Zo["o]l.) A slender outgrowth from the chitinous cuticle of insects, spiders, crustaceans, and other invertebrates. Such hairs are totally unlike those of vertebrates in structure, composition, and mode of growth.
- An outgrowth of the epidermis, consisting of one or of several cells, whether pointed, hooked, knobbed, or stellated. Internal hairs occur in the flower stalk of the yellow frog lily (Nuphar).
- A spring device used in a hair-trigger firearm.
- A haircloth. [Obc.] --Chaucer.
- Any very small distance, or degree; a hairbreadth. Note: Hairs is often used adjectively or in combination; as, hairbrush or hair brush, hair dye, hair oil, hairpin, hair powder, a brush, a dye, etc., for the hair. Against the hair, in a rough and disagreeable manner; against the grain. [Obs.] ``You go against the hair of your professions.'' --Shak.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Hair'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Hair'
Hair is a filamentous biomaterial, that grows from follicles found in the dermis. The human body, apart from its glabrous skin, is covered in follicles which produce thick terminal and fine vellus hair. Most common interest in hair is focused on hair growth, hair types and hair care, but hair is also an important biomaterial primarily composed of protein, notably keratin.
Found exclusively in mammals, hair is one of the defining characteristics of the mammalian class. Hair-like structures, called cilia, but which are not classified as hair, are visible in organs such as the nose and ear and these structures also occur in many other organs of mammals, other animals, and plants. Although non-mammals, especially insects, show filamentous outgrowths, these are not considered "hair" either, in the scientific sense. These so-called "hairs" (trichomes) also are found on plants. The projections on arthropods, such as insects and spiders, are classified as bristles, which are composed of a polysaccharide called chitin. There are varieties of cats, dogs, and mice bred to have little or no visible hair (fur). In some species, hair is absent at certain stages of life.[See more about Hair at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Hair'
'Hair' in famous quotation sentence
* It made our hair stand up in panic fear. - Sophocles
* My concern today is not with the length of a person's hair but with his conduct. (On campus radicals) - Richard Milhous Nixon
Click here for more related quotations on 'Hair'
Hair Sample Sentences in News
- Get Longer, Fuller, Sexier Hair in Minutes (Yes, Really)
If you weren’t born with Hollywood bombshell hair (and uh, by the way, most of the Hollywood bombshells weren’t even born with Hollywood bombshell hair — they fake it), this product is for you… When it comes to hair extensions, the most important thing is that you shouldn’t be able to tell where your natural […] Read more on this news related to 'Hair'
- Ideal Image Laser Hair Removal Centers Expands Presence in Phoenix Area
PHOENIX -- With bikini, shorts and tank top weather just around the corner, Ideal Image, a leader in laser hair removal services, is opening a third center in the Phoenix market with a new location in ... Read more on this news related to 'Hair'
- Skin Research Laboratories Launches Revolutionary Hair Enhancing Formula--neuHAIR
LOS ANGELES, May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Skin Research Laboratories , an industry leader in the world of advanced beauty technology and the creator of award-winning neuLASH ® lash enhancing serum and ... Read more on this news related to 'Hair'