Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Habituate'
- take or consume (regularly or habitually); "She uses drugs rarely" [syn: use]
- make psychologically or physically used (to something); "She became habituated to the background music" [syn: accustom]
- Habituate \Ha*bit"u*ate\, a.
Firmly established by custom; formed by habit; habitual. [R.]
- Habituate \Ha*bit"u*ate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Habituated; p.
pr. & vb. n. Habituating.] [L. habituatus, p. p. of
habituare to bring into a condition or habit of body: cf. F.
habituer. See Habit.]
- To make accustomed; to accustom; to familiarize. Our English dogs, who were habituated to a colder clime. --Sir K. Digby. Men are first corrupted . . . and next they habituate themselves to their vicious practices. --Tillotson.
- To settle as an inhabitant. [Obs.] --Sir W. Temple.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Habituate'
Habituation, a form of non-associative learning, is the psychological process in humans and other organisms in which there is a decrease in psychological and behavioral response to a stimulus after repeated exposure to that stimulus over a duration of time.
Not to be confused with habit, habituation refers specifically to a type of non-associative learning in which repeated exposure to a stimulus leads to decreased responding. The learning underlying habituation is a fundamental or basic process of biological systems and does not require conscious motivation or awareness to occur. Habituation enables organisms to distinguish meaningful information from irrelevant background stimuli.
Habituation can refer to a decrease in behavior, subjective experience, or synaptic transmission. The changes in synaptic transmission that occur during habituation have been well-characterized in the Aplysia gill and siphon withdrawal reflex.[See more about Habituate at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Habituate'
'Habituate' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Habituate'
Habituate Sample Sentences in News
- No current Habituate news