Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grimmest'
Grimmest Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- not to be placated or appeased or moved by entreaty; "grim determination"; "grim necessity"; "Russia's final hour, it seemed, approached with inexorable certainty"; "relentless persecution"; "the stern demands of parenthood" [syn: inexorable, relentless, stern, unappeasable, unforgiving, unrelenting]
- shockingly repellent; inspiring horror; "ghastly wounds"; "the grim aftermath of the bombing"; "the grim task of burying the victims"; "a grisly murder"; "gruesome evidence of human sacrifice"; "macabre tales of war and plague in the Middle ages"; "macabre tortures conceived by madmen" [syn: ghastly, grisly, gruesome, macabre]
- harshly ironic or sinister; "black humor"; "a grim joke"; "grim laughter"; "fun ranging from slapstick clowning ... to savage mordant wit" [syn: black, mordant]
- causing dejection; "a blue day"; "the dark days of the war"; "a week of rainy depressing weather"; "a disconsolate winter landscape"; "the first dismal dispiriting days of November"; "a dark gloomy day"; "grim rainy weather" [syn: blue, dark, depressing, disconsolate, dismal, dispiriting, gloomy]
- harshly uninviting or formidable in manner or appearance; "a
dour, self-sacrificing life"; "a forbidding scowl"; "a
grim man loving duty more than humanity"; "undoubtedly the
grimmest part of him was his iron claw"- J.M.Barrie [syn:
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
<firstname.lastname@example.org> 220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE <email@example.com>
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grimmest'
Words and phrases related to 'Grimmest'
Grimmest Sample Sentences in News
- True Detective: Obama ‘Has Seen My Boobs’ Boasts Show’s Sexpot Alexandra Daddario
True Detective, if it isn’t the grimmest show on television, is right up there with some of the most downbeat and resolutely humorless programming to seep through your screen in 2014. But that doesn’t mean that the show can’t generate some ridiculous storylines off the air. This one involved the Commander-In-Chief and one actress’s chief... Read more » Tr Read more on this news related to 'Grimmest'
- The Guardian: Ukraine suffers 'black day' that will never be forgotten
Feb. 19, 2014, 10:18 p.m. | Ukraine abroad — by Guardian Beneath the gilded column known as Stella that towers over Kyiv's Independence Square, the charred, black remains of Ukraine's battlefield bore witness to the saddest, grimmest 36 hours in the young country's history. Read more on this news related to 'Grimmest'
- Life-size puppets capture the imagination in ‘War Horse’
When Michael Morpurgo learned that the National Theatre of Great Britain in London wanted to turn his World War I-era children’s book, War Horse , into a play starring life-size horse puppets, he was, to put it mildly, skeptical. “This was a story about one of the grimmest wars that’s ever been,” he said. “Horse puppets didn’t seem to be able to carry Read more on this news related to 'Grimmest'