Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gregorian'
Gregorian Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or relating to Pope Gregory I or to the plainsong chants of the Roman Catholic Church
- of or relating to Pope Gregory XIII or the calendar he introduced in 1582
- Gregorian \Gre*go"ri*an\, a. [NL. Gregorianus, fr. Gregorius
Gregory, Gr. ?: cf. F. gr['e]gorien.]
Pertaining to, or originated by, some person named Gregory,
especially one of the popes of that name.
Gregorian calendar, the calendar as reformed by Pope
Gregory XIII. in 1582, including the method of adjusting
the leap years so as to harmonize the civil year with the
solar, and also the regulation of the time of Easter and
the movable feasts by means of epochs. See Gregorian
Gregorian chant (Mus.), plain song, or canto fermo, a kind
of unisonous music, according to the eight celebrated
church modes, as arranged and prescribed by Pope Gregory
I. (called ``the Great'') in the 6th century.
Gregorian modes, the musical scales ordained by Pope
Gregory the Great, and named after the ancient Greek
scales, as Dorian, Lydian, etc.
Gregorian telescope (Opt.), a form of reflecting telescope,
named from Prof. James Gregory, of Edinburgh, who
perfected it in 166
- A small concave mirror in the axis of this telescope, having its focus coincident with that of the large reflector, transmits the light received from the latter back through a hole in its center to the eyepiece placed behind it. Gregorian year, the year as now reckoned according to the Gregorian calendar. Thus, every year, of the current reckoning, which is divisible by 4, except those divisible by 100 and not by 400, has 366 days; all other years have 365 days. See Bissextile, and Note under Style, n., 7.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gregorian'
- Gregorian: Gregorian might refer to: The thought or ideology of Pope Gregory I or Pope Gregory VII (also called Gregorianism) Things named for Pope ...
- Gregorian calendar: The Gregorian calendar, also known as the Western calendar, or Christian calendar, is the internationally accepted civil calendar It was ...
- Gregorian chant: Gregorian chant is the central tradition of Western plainchant , a form of monophonic liturgical music within Western Christianity ...
- Gregorian (band): Gregorian is a German band , headed by Frank Peterson , which performs Gregorian chant -inspired versions of modern pop and rock songs. ...
- Gregorian telescope: The Gregorian telescope is a type of reflecting telescope designed by Scottish mathematician and astronomer James Gregory in the 17th ...
- Gregorian Reform: The Gregorian Reforms were a series of reforms initiated by Pope Gregory VII and the circle he formed in the papal curia , circa 1050–80, ...
- Pontifical Gregorian University: The Pontifical Gregorian University. (Pontificia Università Gregoriana. also known as the Gregorianum, or the PUG) is a pontifical university ...