Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grazing'
- the act of grazing [syn: graze]
- the act of brushing against while passing [syn: shaving, skimming]
- Graze \Graze\ (gr[=a]z), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grazed
(gr[=a]zd); p. pr. & vb. n. Grazing.] [OE. grasen, AS.
grasian, fr. gr[ae]s grass. See Grass.]
- To feed or supply (cattle, sheep, etc.) with grass; to furnish pasture for. A field or two to graze his cows. --Swift.
- To feed on; to eat (growing herbage); to eat grass from (a pasture); to browse. The lambs with wolves shall graze the verdant mead. --Pope.
- To tend (cattle, etc.) while grazing. When Jacob grazed his uncle Laban's sheep. --Shak.
- To rub or touch lightly the surface of (a thing) in passing; as, the bullet grazed the wall.
- Grazing \Graz"ing\, n.
- The act of one who, or that which, grazes.
- A pasture; growing grass.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grazing'
Grazing generally describes a type of predation in which a herbivore feeds on plants (such as grasses), and also on other multicellular autotrophs (such as algae). Grazing differs from true predation because the organism being eaten from is not generally killed, and it differs from parasitism as the two organisms do not live together, nor is the grazer necessarily so limited in what it can eat (see generalist and specialist species).
Many small selective herbivores follow larger grazers, who skim off the highest, tough growth of plants, exposing tender shoots. For terrestrial animals, grazing is normally distinguished from browsing in that grazing is eating grass or other low vegetation, and browsing is eating woody twigs and leaves from trees and shrubs.
Grazing is important in agriculture, in which domestic livestock are used to convert grass and other forage into meat, milk and other products.[See more about Grazing at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Grazing'
Grazing Sample Sentences in News
- Grazing Improvement Act Will Fleece Taxpayers While Harming Environment
When an interest group--let's say the National Cattlemen's Beef Association--supports a bill because it will "reduce the paperwork backlog," you can pretty much guarantee that another group--let's say American taxpayers--are poised to be fleeced. Read more on this news related to 'Grazing'
- Alpine grazing back on agenda
Trials to determine if cattle are returned Read more on this news related to 'Grazing'
- Chinese lanterns, fly grazing and solar panels - just some of the issues facing Country Land and Business Association ...
I had no idea what “fly grazing” might be, and neither had Richard Pemberton until he became chairman of the Country Land & Business Association for the region. Read more on this news related to 'Grazing'