Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grazing'
- the act of grazing [syn: graze]
- the act of brushing against while passing [syn: shaving, skimming]
- Graze \Graze\ (gr[=a]z), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grazed
(gr[=a]zd); p. pr. & vb. n. Grazing.] [OE. grasen, AS.
grasian, fr. gr[ae]s grass. See Grass.]
- To feed or supply (cattle, sheep, etc.) with grass; to furnish pasture for. A field or two to graze his cows. --Swift.
- To feed on; to eat (growing herbage); to eat grass from (a pasture); to browse. The lambs with wolves shall graze the verdant mead. --Pope.
- To tend (cattle, etc.) while grazing. When Jacob grazed his uncle Laban's sheep. --Shak.
- To rub or touch lightly the surface of (a thing) in passing; as, the bullet grazed the wall.
- Grazing \Graz"ing\, n.
- The act of one who, or that which, grazes.
- A pasture; growing grass.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grazing'
Grazing generally describes a type of predation in which a herbivore feeds on plants (such as grasses), and also on other multicellular autotrophs (such as algae). Grazing differs from true predation because the organism being eaten from is not generally killed, and it differs from parasitism as the two organisms do not live together, nor is the grazer necessarily so limited in what it can eat (see generalist and specialist species).
Many small selective herbivores follow larger grazers, who skim off the highest, tough growth of plants, exposing tender shoots. For terrestrial animals, grazing is normally distinguished from browsing in that grazing is eating grass or other low vegetation, and browsing is eating woody twigs and leaves from trees and shrubs.
Grazing is important in agriculture, in which domestic livestock are used to convert grass and other forage into meat, milk and other products.[See more about Grazing at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Grazing'
Grazing Sample Sentences in News
- Tanzania: Tanzania Opens Up More Grazing Land to Drought-Hit Herders
[AlertNet]Dar es Salaam -Tanzania's government is planning to open up special grazing areas for nomadic herders to give them better access to water and pastures, as part of a policy to prevent recurring conflicts between farmers and pastoralists. Read more on this news related to 'Grazing'
- Greg Hunt approves Victorian Alpine National Park cattle grazing trial
Cattle grazing will return to Victoria's Alpine National Park after federal Environment Minister Greg Hunt approved a state government trial to have 60 to 300 cows in the park. Read more on this news related to 'Grazing'
- In grasslands remade by humans, animals may protect biodiversity: Grazers let in the light, rescue imperiled plants
A study of grasslands on six continents suggests a way to counteract the human-made overdose of fertilizer that threatens the biodiversity of the world's prairies. The solution originates in nature: let grazing animals crop fast growing grasses, which have a competitive advantage in an over-fertilized world. The grasses block sunlight from ground level, but he Read more on this news related to 'Grazing'