Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grating'
adj : unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound; "a gravelly voice"
[syn: gravel, gravelly, rasping, raspy, rough]
- a barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air [syn: grate]
- a frame of iron bars to hold a fire [syn: grate]
- optical device consisting of a surface with many parallel grooves in it; disperses a beam of light (or other electromagnetic radiation) into its wavelengths to produce its spectrum [syn: diffraction grating]
- Grating \Grat"ing\, n. (Optics)
A system of close equidistant parallel lines or bars, esp.
lines ruled on a polished surface, used for producing spectra
by diffraction. Gratings have been made with over 40,000 such
lines to the inch, but those with a somewhat smaller number
give the best definition.
- Grate \Grate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grated; p. pr. &. vb. n.
To furnish with grates; to protect with a grating or
crossbars; as, to grate a window.
- Grating \Grat"ing\, n. [See 2d Grate.]
- A partition, covering, or frame of parallel or cross bars; a latticework resembling a window grate; as, the grating of a prison or convent.
- (Optics) A system of close equidistant and parallel lines lines or bars, especially lines ruled on a polished surface, used for producing spectra by diffraction; -- called also diffraction grating.
- pl. (Naut.) The strong wooden lattice used to cover a hatch, admitting light and air; also, a movable Lattice used for the flooring of boats. [1913 Webster]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grating'
A grating is any regularly spaced collection of essentially identical, parallel, elongated elements. Gratings usually consist of a single set of elongated elements, but can consist of two sets, in which case the second set is usually perpendicular to the first (as illustrated). When the two sets are perpendicular, this is also known as a mesh.
Grating can also come in 4 feet (121.9 cm) or 2 feet (61 cm) x 8 feet (243.8 cm) panels which are often used for decks on bridges, footbridges and catwalks. Other panel sizes may also be available. Grating can be made of different materials like steel, aluminum, fiberglass. Fiberglass grating is also known as FRP Grating.
A grating covering a drain (as illustrated) can be a collection of iron bars (the identical, elongated elements) held together (to ensure the bars are parallel and regularly spaced) by a lighter iron frame. Gratings over drains and air vents are used as filters, to block movement of large particles (such as leaves) and to allow movement of small particles (such as water or air).[See more about Grating at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Grating'
Grating Sample Sentences in News
- A Grating Great Gatsby
Baz Luhrmann's adaptation is just the latest example of his tragic attraction to tragedy. Read more on this news related to 'Grating'
- Scientists develop device for portable, ultra-precise clocks and quantum sensors
Microfabricated grating generating four new beams from a single incoming beam of light. Credit: National Physical Laboratory. Read more on this news related to 'Grating'
- Optical Fiber enables stress analysis over large areas.
With All Grating Fiber, sensors can be positioned adjacent to one another, making it possible to monitor changes throughout structure and see how mechanical influences at one point can affect another. DTG-LBL-1550-AGF is low bendloss fiber with densely spaced Draw Tower Gratings over full length, breaking strength of >5% strain, and operating temperature of Read more on this news related to 'Grating'