Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grating'
adj : unpleasantly harsh or grating in sound; "a gravelly voice"
[syn: gravel, gravelly, rasping, raspy, rough]
- a barrier that has parallel or crossed bars blocking a passage but admitting air [syn: grate]
- a frame of iron bars to hold a fire [syn: grate]
- optical device consisting of a surface with many parallel grooves in it; disperses a beam of light (or other electromagnetic radiation) into its wavelengths to produce its spectrum [syn: diffraction grating]
- Grating \Grat"ing\, n. (Optics)
A system of close equidistant parallel lines or bars, esp.
lines ruled on a polished surface, used for producing spectra
by diffraction. Gratings have been made with over 40,000 such
lines to the inch, but those with a somewhat smaller number
give the best definition.
- Grate \Grate\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Grated; p. pr. &. vb. n.
To furnish with grates; to protect with a grating or
crossbars; as, to grate a window.
- Grating \Grat"ing\, n. [See 2d Grate.]
- A partition, covering, or frame of parallel or cross bars; a latticework resembling a window grate; as, the grating of a prison or convent.
- (Optics) A system of close equidistant and parallel lines lines or bars, especially lines ruled on a polished surface, used for producing spectra by diffraction; -- called also diffraction grating.
- pl. (Naut.) The strong wooden lattice used to cover a hatch, admitting light and air; also, a movable Lattice used for the flooring of boats. [1913 Webster]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grating'
A grating is any regularly spaced collection of essentially identical, parallel, elongated elements. Gratings usually consist of a single set of elongated elements, but can consist of two sets, in which case the second set is usually perpendicular to the first (as illustrated). When the two sets are perpendicular, this is also known as a mesh.
Grating can also come in 4 feet (121.9 cm) or 2 feet (61 cm) x 8 feet (243.8 cm) panels which are often used for decks on bridges, footbridges and catwalks. Other panel sizes may also be available. Grating can be made of different materials like steel, aluminum, fiberglass. Fiberglass grating is also known as FRP Grating.
A grating covering a drain (as illustrated) can be a collection of iron bars (the identical, elongated elements) held together (to ensure the bars are parallel and regularly spaced) by a lighter iron frame. Gratings over drains and air vents are used as filters, to block movement of large particles (such as leaves) and to allow movement of small particles (such as water or air).[See more about Grating at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Grating'
Grating Sample Sentences in News
- Hope and Wire divides viewers
Grating. Shameful. Emotional. Moving. Read more on this news related to 'Grating'
- Label-Free Detection Market by Technology (Bio-layer interferometry, Optical waveguide grating technology, Surface ...
NEW YORK, June 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue: Label-Free Detection Market by Technology (Bio-layer interferometry, ... Read more on this news related to 'Grating'
- Amazon Fire Phone (AT&T)
The Fire Phone is a well-built handset with some unique features, but Amazon's "sell, sell, sell" strategy is more grating on a phone than on a media tablet. Read more on this news related to 'Grating'