Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grandfather'
n : the father of your father or mother [syn: gramps, granddad,
grandad, granddaddy, grandpa]
- Grandfather \Grand"fa"ther\, n.
A father's or mother's father; an ancestor in the next degree
above the father or mother in lineal ascent.
Grandfather longlegs. (Zo["o]l.) See Daddy longlegs.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grandfather'
Grandparents are the parents of a person's own parent, whether that be a father or a mother. Every sexually-reproducing creature who is not a genetic chimera has a maximum of four genetic grandparents, eight genetic great-grandparents, sixteen genetic great-great-grandparents, etc. Rarely, such as in the case of sibling or half-sibling incest, these numbers are lower.
In the history of modern humanity, around 30,000 years ago, the number of modern humans who lived to be grandparents began to skyrocket. It is not known for certain what spurred this increase in longevity. But it is believed that a key consequence of three generations being alive together was the facilitation of the passing along of information that prior to that point would have been lost. This sort of information might have been for instance, where to find water in times of drought.[See more about Grandfather at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Grandfather'
'Grandfather' in famous quotation sentence
* If the grandfather of the grandfather of Jesus had known what was hidden within him, he would have stood humble and awe-struck before his soul. - Kahlil Gibran
* My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group there was much less competition. - Indira Nehru Gandhi
Click here for more related quotations on 'Grandfather'
Grandfather Sample Sentences in News
- Grandfather, 90, graduates with PhD
A grandfather who served in World War Two has gained a PhD from Lancaster University a month after turning 90. Read more on this news related to 'Grandfather'
- Grandfather jailed for taking photos of grandson's genitals
A GRANDFATHER who took six photos of his grandson's genitals has been jailed. Read more on this news related to 'Grandfather'
- Execution of Kim Jong Un's uncle recalls grandfather's lethal era
News analysisBEIJING – North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's highly scripted execution of his uncle makes one thing abundantly clear: Two years after taking power, the training wheels are now off for the world's youngest head of state. He truly is his grandfather's son. Read more on this news related to 'Grandfather'