Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grandfather'
n : the father of your father or mother [syn: gramps, granddad,
grandad, granddaddy, grandpa]
- Grandfather \Grand"fa"ther\, n.
A father's or mother's father; an ancestor in the next degree
above the father or mother in lineal ascent.
Grandfather longlegs. (Zo["o]l.) See Daddy longlegs.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grandfather'
Grandparents are the parents of a person's own parent, whether that be a father or a mother. Every sexually-reproducing creature who is not a genetic chimera has a maximum of four genetic grandparents, eight genetic great-grandparents, sixteen genetic great-great-grandparents, etc. Rarely, such as in the case of sibling or half-sibling incest, these numbers are lower.
In the history of modern humanity, around 30,000 years ago, the number of modern humans who lived to be grandparents began to skyrocket. It is not known for certain what spurred this increase in longevity. But it is believed that a key consequence of three generations being alive together was the facilitation of the passing along of information that prior to that point would have been lost. This sort of information might have been for instance, where to find water in times of drought.[See more about Grandfather at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Grandfather'
'Grandfather' in famous quotation sentence
* If the grandfather of the grandfather of Jesus had known what was hidden within him, he would have stood humble and awe-struck before his soul. - Kahlil Gibran
* My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group there was much less competition. - Indira Nehru Gandhi
Click here for more related quotations on 'Grandfather'
Grandfather Sample Sentences in News
- Reds Pitcher Trevor Bell Honors Famous Clown Grandfather with Tattoo
It’s rare to see Bell, 27, without a smile. That could be genetic, as the Bell family has been providing thousands of smiles for many years. Bell is the grandson of Bob Bell, who was Bozo the Clown on WGN-TV in Chicago from 1960 to 1984. Read more on this news related to 'Grandfather'
- Multimedia artist plans to honor gay grandfather in unique way
SEATTLE – One man is planning to honor his very personal connection to his grandfather in a very unique way.... Read more on this news related to 'Grandfather'
- Grandfather's horrifying ordeal in 147-day siege
A TONBRIDGE man determined to find out what his grandfather did in the First World War has discovered he was caught up in one of the most shocking events of the whole conflict.Landscape gardener Andrew Booth, of York Road, said: "I knew my grandad had suffered badly, but I wasn't prepared for the full horror of what happened to him. It made me want to tel Read more on this news related to 'Grandfather'