Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Grackle'
Grackle Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- glossy black Asiatic starling often taught to mimic speech [syn: hill myna, Indian grackle, Gracula religiosa]
- long-tailed American blackbird having iridescent black plumage [syn: crow blackbird]
- Grackle \Grac"kle\, n. [Cf. L. graculus jackdaw.] (Zo["o]l.)
(a) One of several American blackbirds, of the family
Icterid[ae]; as, the rusty grackle (Scolecophagus
Carolinus}); the boat-tailed grackle (see Boat-tail); the
purple grackle (Quiscalus quiscula, or Q.
versicolor). See Crow blackbird, under Crow.
(b) An Asiatic bird of the genus Gracula. See Myna.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Grackle'
- Grackle: A Grackle is a gregarious, passerine bird native to North and South America . Each of the 11 species of grackle belongs to the Icterid ...
- Common Grackle: The Common Grackle, Quiscalus quiscula, is a large icterid . Description: The 32 | cm | in | abbr on | adj on long adult has a long dark bill ...
- Great-tailed Grackle: The Great-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus mexicanus) is a medium-sized, gregarious passerine bird native to North and South America . ...
- Carib Grackle: The Carib Grackle, Quiscalus lugubris, is a New World tropical blackbird , a resident breeder in the Lesser Antilles and northern South ...
- Greater Antillean Grackle: The Greater Antillean Grackle (Quiscalus niger) is a grackle found throughout the Greater Antilles and the Cayman Islands as well as ...
- Boat-tailed Grackle: The Boat-tailed Grackle (Quiscalus major) is a passerine bird of the family Icterid ae found as a permanent resident on the coasts of the ...
- Nicaraguan Grackle: The Nicaraguan Grackle (Quiscalus nicaraguensis) is a species of passerine bird belonging to the genus Quiscalus , a genus of grackle s ...
- Mountain Grackle: The Mountain Grackle (Macroagelaius subalaris) is a species of bird in the Icteridae family. It is endemic to Colombia . Its natural ...
Words and phrases related to 'Grackle'
Grackle Sample Sentences in News
- Thoughts and observations on the sleek & sinister-looking grackle
There was quite a gathering of grackles around our place recently. Common grackles they were, and over a three day period they alternated between hanging out in the trees, patrolling the lawn and laying seige to the bird feeder. At first glance, especially from a distance, the grackle appears all black. But depending on the light, they can exhibit a lustrous sheen Read more on this news related to 'Grackle'
- Grackle Days continues today, Sunday
WINTHROP - The 30th Annual Winthrop Grackle Days saluting hometown military heroes continues today and Sunday, April 5 and 6. Saturday events include the 5k Camouflage Run beginning at 9:30 a.m. at the Winthrop Area Clinic-Alina. Read more on this news related to 'Grackle'
- Lazy Lady Bread
During the winter months we have seen ample amounts of blue jays, Cananda jays, crows, and ravens. Today, it was refreshing to see a couple of different feathered friends. The red winged black bird and common grackle stopped by for some bird seed. I tried my best to get a picture. Read more on this news related to 'Grackle'