Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Goose'
- web-footed long-necked typically gregarious migratory aquatic birds usually larger and less aquatic than ducks
- a man who is a stupid incompetent fool [syn: fathead, goof, goofball, bozo, jackass, cuckoo, twat, zany]
- flesh of a goose (domestic or wild) [also: geese (pl)]
- Goose \Goose\ (g[=oo]s), n.; pl. Geese (g[=e]s). [OE. gos, AS.
g[=o]s, pl. g[=e]s; akin to D. & G. gans, Icel. g[=a]s, Dan.
gaas, Sw. g[*a]s, Russ. guse. OIr. geiss, L. anser, for
hanser, Gr. chh`n, Skr. ha[.m]sa. [root]23
- Cf. Gander, Gannet, Ganza, Gosling.] (Zo["o]l.)
- Any large web-footen bird of the subfamily Anserin[ae], and belonging to Anser, Branta, Chen, and several allied genera. See Anseres. Note: The common domestic goose is believed to have been derived from the European graylag goose (Anser anser). The bean goose (A. segetum), the American wild or Canada goose (Branta Canadensis), and the bernicle goose (Branta leucopsis) are well known species. The American white or snow geese and the blue goose belong to the genus Chen. See Bernicle, Emperor goose, under Emperor, Snow goose, Wild goose, Brant.
- Any large bird of other related families, resembling the common goose. Note: The Egyptian or fox goose (Alopochen [AE]gyptiaca) and the African spur-winged geese (Plectropterus)
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Goose'
Anser Branta and see text
The word goose (plural: geese) is the English name for a considerable number of birds, belonging to the family Anatidae. This family also includes swans, most of which are larger than true geese, and ducks, which are smaller.
This article deals with the true geese in the subfamily Anserinae, tribe Anserini.
A number of other waterbirds, mostly related to the shelducks, have "goose" as part of their name.[See more about Goose at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Goose'
'Goose' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Goose'
Goose Sample Sentences in News
- Book Club: The Wandering Goose's Heather Earnhardt Talks Books, Southern Cooking & Squid Jigging
Welcome back to Book Club, a monthly column in which Eater contributor Sonja Groset talks to all manner of food professionals about their cookbook collections. Heather Earnhardt, owner and chef of The Wandering Goose on Capitol Hill, has lived in... Read more on this news related to 'Goose'
- Death By Goose? It Almost Happened to This Tourist
Death by goose attack is definitely not the way you want to go. But it almost happened to this tourist Lu Chen. And it's not the first time geese have gone wild! Read more on this news related to 'Goose'
- FINAL: Pickerington over Goose Creek 14-7 in first Blitz game
Pickerington's defense proved to be too much for Goose Creek's offense in the second half, twice turning back the Gators on the goal line. The game ended on an incomplete pass with only seconds to go and a sack on Gator quarterback Dominique Jefferson. Read more on this news related to 'Goose'