Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Genre'
- a kind of literary or artistic work
- a style of expressing yourself in writing [syn: writing style, literary genre]
- an expressive style of music [syn: music genre, musical genre, musical style]
- a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique
- Genre \Gen"re\, n.
Kind; genus; class; form; style, esp. in literature.
French drama was lisping or still inarticulate; the
great French genre of the fabliau was hardly born.
A particular demand . . . that we shall pay special
attention to the matter of genres -- that is, to the
different forms or categories of literature. --W. P.
- Genre \Genre\ (zh[aum]N"r'), n. [F. See Gender.] (Fine Arts)
A style of painting, sculpture, or other imitative art, which
illustrates everyday life and manners.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Genre'
Genre (pronounced /ˈʒɑːnrə/, also /ˈdʒɑːnrə/; from French, genre French pronunciation: , "kind" or "sort", from Latin: genus (stem gener-), Greek: genos, γένος) is the term for any category of literature as well as various other forms of art or culture, e.g., music, based on some loose set of stylistic criteria. Genres are formed by conventions that change over time as new genres are invented and the use of old ones are discontinued. Often, works fit into multiple genres by way of borrowing and recombining these conventions.
While the scope of the word "genre" is commonly confined to art and culture, it also defines individuals' interactions with and within their environments. In order to be recognized as genre these interactions and environments must be recurring.[See more about Genre at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Genre'
Genre Sample Sentences in News
- Arnold Schwarzenegger zombie thriller ‘Maggie’ gets U.S. distribution
In the genre-subverting apocalyptic thriller Maggie, which Lionsgate just acquired for North American distribution, Arnold Schwarzenegger stars as a father Read more on this news related to 'Genre'
- Don't Call It a RomCom! Maligned Genre Is Coming Back
Love is everywhere on TV, and it's not even Valentine's Day. Read more on this news related to 'Genre'
- Fast-selling ‘new adult’ genre vying for shelf space in bookstores
Ten Tiny Breaths and Fifty Shades of Grey are just two notable successes in a category that didn’t even exist before 2012 Read more on this news related to 'Genre'