Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Genre'
- a kind of literary or artistic work
- a style of expressing yourself in writing [syn: writing style, literary genre]
- an expressive style of music [syn: music genre, musical genre, musical style]
- a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique
- Genre \Gen"re\, n.
Kind; genus; class; form; style, esp. in literature.
French drama was lisping or still inarticulate; the
great French genre of the fabliau was hardly born.
A particular demand . . . that we shall pay special
attention to the matter of genres -- that is, to the
different forms or categories of literature. --W. P.
- Genre \Genre\ (zh[aum]N"r'), n. [F. See Gender.] (Fine Arts)
A style of painting, sculpture, or other imitative art, which
illustrates everyday life and manners.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Genre'
Genre (pronounced /ˈʒɑːnrə/, also /ˈdʒɑːnrə/; from French, genre French pronunciation: , "kind" or "sort", from Latin: genus (stem gener-), Greek: genos, γένος) is the term for any category of literature as well as various other forms of art or culture, e.g., music, based on some loose set of stylistic criteria. Genres are formed by conventions that change over time as new genres are invented and the use of old ones are discontinued. Often, works fit into multiple genres by way of borrowing and recombining these conventions.
While the scope of the word "genre" is commonly confined to art and culture, it also defines individuals' interactions with and within their environments. In order to be recognized as genre these interactions and environments must be recurring.[See more about Genre at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Genre'
Genre Sample Sentences in News
- Twitter #music adds genre charts
Users can now discover music specific to their tastes, such as pop or rock. Read more on this news related to 'Genre'
- Fox reality chief leaving after 18 years
After 18 years, Fox’s legendary reality chief is stepping down. Mike Darnell, a colorful provocateur who pioneered the genre, will Read more on this news related to 'Genre'
- Two classic westerns show how a ‘simple’ genre contains infinite variety
Quebec-born Glenn Ford stars in two 1950s westerns just out on Blu-ray, Jubal and 3:10 to Yuma. Despite the common star and genre, they couldn’t be more different Read more on this news related to 'Genre'