Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Genre'
- a kind of literary or artistic work
- a style of expressing yourself in writing [syn: writing style, literary genre]
- an expressive style of music [syn: music genre, musical genre, musical style]
- a class of art (or artistic endeavor) having a characteristic form or technique
- Genre \Gen"re\, n.
Kind; genus; class; form; style, esp. in literature.
French drama was lisping or still inarticulate; the
great French genre of the fabliau was hardly born.
A particular demand . . . that we shall pay special
attention to the matter of genres -- that is, to the
different forms or categories of literature. --W. P.
- Genre \Genre\ (zh[aum]N"r'), n. [F. See Gender.] (Fine Arts)
A style of painting, sculpture, or other imitative art, which
illustrates everyday life and manners.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Genre'
Genre (pronounced /ˈʒɑːnrə/, also /ˈdʒɑːnrə/; from French, genre French pronunciation: , "kind" or "sort", from Latin: genus (stem gener-), Greek: genos, γένος) is the term for any category of literature as well as various other forms of art or culture, e.g., music, based on some loose set of stylistic criteria. Genres are formed by conventions that change over time as new genres are invented and the use of old ones are discontinued. Often, works fit into multiple genres by way of borrowing and recombining these conventions.
While the scope of the word "genre" is commonly confined to art and culture, it also defines individuals' interactions with and within their environments. In order to be recognized as genre these interactions and environments must be recurring.[See more about Genre at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Genre'
Genre Sample Sentences in News
- Atari(R) Sheds Light on Upcoming Alone in the Dark: Illumination(TM) and Haunted House: Cryptic Graves(TM) Coming to ...
PAX Prime -- Atari®, one of the world's most recognized publishers and producers of interactive entertainment, today announced details for the upcoming release of re-imagined classic survival horror-genre ... Read more on this news related to 'Genre'
- Don't Call It a RomCom! Maligned Genre Is Coming Back
Love is everywhere on TV, and it's not even Valentine's Day. Read more on this news related to 'Genre'
- Développement social : 35 acteurs renforcés sur les questions de Genre
Dr Fatimata Dia Sow, commissaire aux affaires sociales et au genre à la Cedeao, a preside hier la ceremonie de cloture d’un atelier de formation en genre. La rencontre aura permis à plus de 35 acteurs issus de diverses sphères de se familiariser avec les questions liées au genre. Read more on this news related to 'Genre'