Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Geese'
- web-footed long-necked typically gregarious migratory aquatic birds usually larger and less aquatic than ducks
- a man who is a stupid incompetent fool [syn: fathead, goof, goofball, bozo, jackass, cuckoo, twat, zany]
- flesh of a goose (domestic or wild) [also: geese (pl)]
- Geese \Geese\, n.,
pl. of Goose.
- Goose \Goose\ (g[=oo]s), n.; pl. Geese (g[=e]s). [OE. gos, AS.
g[=o]s, pl. g[=e]s; akin to D. & G. gans, Icel. g[=a]s, Dan.
gaas, Sw. g[*a]s, Russ. guse. OIr. geiss, L. anser, for
hanser, Gr. chh`n, Skr. ha[.m]sa. [root]23
- Cf. Gander, Gannet, Ganza, Gosling.] (Zo["o]l.)
- Any large web-footen bird of the subfamily Anserin[ae], and belonging to Anser, Branta, Chen, and several allied genera. See Anseres. Note: The common domestic goose is believed to have been derived from the European graylag goose (Anser anser). The bean goose (A. segetum), the American wild or Canada goose (Branta Canadensis), and the bernicle goose (Branta leucopsis) are well known species. The American white or snow geese and the blue goose belong to the genus Chen. See Bernicle, Emperor goose, under Emperor, Snow goose, Wild
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Geese'
Anser Branta and see text
The word goose (plural: geese) is the English name for a considerable number of birds, belonging to the family Anatidae. This family also includes swans, most of which are larger than true geese, and ducks, which are smaller.
This article deals with the true geese in the subfamily Anserinae, tribe Anserini.
A number of other waterbirds, mostly related to the shelducks, have "goose" as part of their name.[See more about Geese at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Geese'
'Geese' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Geese'
Geese Sample Sentences in News
- Hewlett-Packard Employees At Risk Of Geese Attacks?
Hewlett-Packard has enough problems dealing with angry shareholders without having to deal with angry geese. Read more on this news related to 'Geese'
- Cedar Rapids Approves Geese Feeding Ban
CEDAR RAPIDS — The City Council unanimously agreed on Tuesday to impose a ban on feeding geese and other wildlife on public property in the city in a new effort to manage the overpopulation of geese and so reduce the amount of waste they leave behind. Read more on this news related to 'Geese'
- Cedar Rapids bans feeding geese on public property
The City Council unanimously agreed on Tuesday to impose a ban on feeding geese and other wildlife on public property in the city, in a new effort to manage the overpopulation of geese and so reduce the amount of waste they leave behind. Those caught feeding will be subject to a $75 fine for a [...] Read more on this news related to 'Geese'