Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Geese'
- web-footed long-necked typically gregarious migratory aquatic birds usually larger and less aquatic than ducks
- a man who is a stupid incompetent fool [syn: fathead, goof, goofball, bozo, jackass, cuckoo, twat, zany]
- flesh of a goose (domestic or wild) [also: geese (pl)]
- Geese \Geese\, n.,
pl. of Goose.
- Goose \Goose\ (g[=oo]s), n.; pl. Geese (g[=e]s). [OE. gos, AS.
g[=o]s, pl. g[=e]s; akin to D. & G. gans, Icel. g[=a]s, Dan.
gaas, Sw. g[*a]s, Russ. guse. OIr. geiss, L. anser, for
hanser, Gr. chh`n, Skr. ha[.m]sa. [root]23
- Cf. Gander, Gannet, Ganza, Gosling.] (Zo["o]l.)
- Any large web-footen bird of the subfamily Anserin[ae], and belonging to Anser, Branta, Chen, and several allied genera. See Anseres. Note: The common domestic goose is believed to have been derived from the European graylag goose (Anser anser). The bean goose (A. segetum), the American wild or Canada goose (Branta Canadensis), and the bernicle goose (Branta leucopsis) are well known species. The American white or snow geese and the blue goose belong to the genus Chen. See Bernicle, Emperor goose, under Emperor, Snow goose, Wild
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Geese'
Anser Branta and see text
The word goose (plural: geese) is the English name for a considerable number of birds, belonging to the family Anatidae. This family also includes swans, most of which are larger than true geese, and ducks, which are smaller.
This article deals with the true geese in the subfamily Anserinae, tribe Anserini.
A number of other waterbirds, mostly related to the shelducks, have "goose" as part of their name.[See more about Geese at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Geese'
'Geese' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Geese'
Geese Sample Sentences in News
- Euthanizing Pines' geese a bad idea
When Bob Thompson, general manager of Ocean Pines, was recently interviewed on WBOC-TV, he stated the geese in Ocean Pines might have to be euthanized, which brings to mind a peaceful, painless death. Read more on this news related to 'Geese'
- Canada geese taking a bite out of local farms
Farmers call them "flying rats" or "deer with wings." They gather by the tens of thousands every year about this time to graze on sprouting winter wheat, rye, alfalfa, and barley. Read more on this news related to 'Geese'
- Canada geese take a bite out of farm profits
Farmers call them "flying rats" or "deer with wings." Read more on this news related to 'Geese'