Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Garrulous'
adj : full of trivial conversation; "kept from her housework by
gabby neighbors" [syn: chatty, gabby, loquacious,
- Garrulous \Gar"ru*lous\, a. [L. garrulus, fr. garrire to
chatter, talk; cf. Gr. ? voice, ? to speak, sing. Cf.
- Talking much, especially about commonplace or trivial things; talkative; loquacious. The most garrulous people on earth. --De Quincey.
- (Zo["o]l.) Having a loud, harsh note; noisy; -- said of birds; as, the garrulous roller. Syn: Garrulous, Talkative, Loquacious. Usage: A garrulous person indulges in long, prosy talk, with frequent repetitions and lengthened details; talkative implies simply a great desire to talk; and loquacious a great flow of words at command. A child is talkative; a lively woman is loquacious; an old man in his dotage is garrulous. -- Gar"ru*lous*ly, adv. -- Gar"ru*lous*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Garrulous'
Prolixity (from Latin prolixus, "extended"; also called wordiness, verbosity and garrulousness) in language refers to speech or writing which uses an excess of words. Adjectival forms include prolix, wordy, verbose, and garrulous.
Prolixity can also be used to refer to the length of a monologue or speech, especially a formal address such as a lawyer's oral argument.
In writing, prolixity can take many forms, including:
Writing that is overflowing with ornate or flowery adjective-heavy language is known as purple prose. Tastes vary widely in this regard. What was once considered enthralling description can be considered excess by a later generation. An example:[See more about Garrulous at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Garrulous'
Garrulous Sample Sentences in News
- Prescott Park Arts Festival ventures into magical realm this summer
From a singing ogre and garrulous donkey to a cursed princess, live theater will go where it has never gone before with 'Shrek The Musical' this summer at Prescott Park Arts Festival in Portsmouth. Read more on this news related to 'Garrulous'
- Geetanjali Krishna: Thank God for tourism!
We think of them as people like us, you know," said my garrulous driver Sachin, as I lay semi-comatose on the back seat, somewhere in the lower reaches of Kedar Valley. "Who?" I asked dully, opening my eyes a fraction. I'd told him to point out ... Read more on this news related to 'Garrulous'
- Pinot's Tour de France hopes lie in mountain attacks
Do you like this? Tweet When Thibaut Pinot emerged from anti-doping atop Chamrousse after stage 13 of the Tour de France , the normally garrulous FDJ.fr manager Marc Madiot simply greeted him with a slap on the back and handed him a bike for the kilometre-long ride to the team bus. Read more on this news related to 'Garrulous'