Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Garment'
n : an article of clothing; "garments of the finest silk"
v : provide with clothes or put clothes on; "Parents must feed
and dress their child" [syn: dress, clothe, enclothe,
garb, raiment, tog, habilitate, fit out, apparel]
- Garment \Gar"ment\, n. [OE. garnement, OF. garnement, garniment,
fr. garnir to garnish. See Garnish.]
Any article of clothing, as a coat, a gown, etc.
No man putteth a piece of new cloth unto old garment.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Garment'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Garment'
Clothing is an item which is made to cover part of the human body. The torso (body) can be covered by a (shirt), arms by sleeves, legs by (pants, jeans, or skirt), the hands by (gloves), feet by (socks and shoes, sandals, boots) and the head by (hats). Clothing is made from many materials, such as cotton, wool, or polyester fabrics and leather. In cold climates, people also wear heavy, thick coats such as trenchcoats.
Almost all humans wear clothing. Clothing protects the human body from the hot sun and high temperatures in warm tropical countries (such as Cuba). Clothing such as thick wool coats and boots keeps the human body warm in very cold temperatures (such as in the Canadian arctic). As well, clothing protects people from insects that might hurt a person if his or her body is not covered up. Clothing is also worn for decoration, as a fashion (clothing). People from different cultures wear different clothing, and have different beliefs and customs about what type of clothing should be worn. For many people, clothing is a status symbol. It also helps people project an image. Often, clothing is a form of self expression. Adults in different social or work situations present different views of themselves by the clothes they wear. Young people have an entirely different form of dress to express their personalities. Often people will simply follow popular fashion styles so that they will fit in. Clothing is far more than just a means to protect our bodies.[See more about Garment at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Garment'
'Garment' in famous quotation sentence
* Identity would seem to be the garment with which one covers the nakedness of the self, in which case, it is best that the garment be loose, a little like the robes of the desert, through which one's nakedness can always be felt, and, sometimes, discerned. This trust in one's nakedness is all that gives one the power to change one's robes. - James Arthur Baldwin
* What spirit is so empty and blind, that it cannot recognize the fact that the foot is more noble than the shoe, and skin more beautiful that the garment with which it is clothed - Michelangelo Buonarroti
Click here for more related quotations on 'Garment'
Garment Sample Sentences in News
- 1 year after horrific garment factory collapse, Bangladeshi workers skeptical of promises
One year after the Rana Plaza garment factory collapsed in a pile of concrete slabs and twisted metal, Bangladeshi seamstress Shefali says she would rather starve to death than return to factory work. Read more on this news related to 'Garment'
- WorldViews: A year later, Bangladesh’s garment factory disaster is still an open wound
The one-year anniversary of perhaps the worst industrial disaster in modern memory is nothing to celebrate Read more on this news related to 'Garment'
- Bangladesh garment collapse: one year later
Photo exhibition marks one-year anniversary of the tragic collapse of the Rana Plaza garment factory, where the death toll was more than 1,100 Read more on this news related to 'Garment'