Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gallery'
Gallery Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- spectators at a golf or tennis match
- a porch along the outside of a building (sometimes partly enclosed) [syn: veranda, verandah]
- a room or series of rooms where works of art are exhibited [syn: art gallery, picture gallery]
- a long usually narrow room used for some specific purpose; "shooting gallery"
- a covered corridor (especially one extending along the wall of a building and supported with arches or columns)
- narrow recessed balcony area along an upper floor on the interior of a building; usually marked by a colonnade
- a horizontal (or nearly horizontal) passageway in a mine; "they dug a drift parallel with the vein" [syn: drift, heading]
- Gallery \Gal"ler*y\, n.; pl. Galleries. [F. galerie, It.
galleria, fr. LL. galeria gallery, perh. orig., a festal
hall, banquetting hall; cf. OF. galerie a rejoicing, fr.
galer to rejoice. Cf. Gallant, a.]
- A long and narrow corridor, or place for walking; a connecting passageway, as between one room and another; also, a long hole or passage excavated by a boring or burrowing animal.
- A room for the exhibition of works of art; as, a picture gallery; hence, also, a large or important collection of paintings, sculptures, etc.
- A long and narrow platform attached to one or more sides of public hall or the interior of a church, and supported by brackets or columns; -- sometimes intended to be occupied by musicians or spectators, sometimes designed merely to increase the capacity of the hall.
- (Naut.) A frame, like a balcony, projecting from the stern or quarter of a ship, and hence called stern gallery or quarter gallery, -- seldom found in vessels built since 1850.
- (Fort.) Any communication which is covered overhead as well as at the sides. When prepared for defense, it is a defensive gallery.
- (Mining) A working drift or level. Whispering gallery. See under Whispering.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gallery'
- Gallery: Gallery may refer to: An Art museum (art gallery) An exhibition room in a museum Long gallery , an element in architecture: a long hallway ...
- Long gallery: Long gallery is an architectural term given to a long, narrow room, often with a high ceiling. In British architecture, long galleries ...
- Gallery forest: Gallery forests form riparian forest corridors along river s or wetland s, and project into landscape ecosystem s that are otherwise only ...
Words and phrases related to 'Gallery'
Gallery Sample Sentences in News
- Gallery: 2014 Tour de Langkawi, stage 8
Tabriz Petrochemical defends its overall race lead, despite a late crash in Malaysia The post Gallery: 2014 Tour de Langkawi, stage 8 appeared first on VeloNews.com . Read more on this news related to 'Gallery'
- Gallery Owner Chases Down Artful Dodger
A Brooklyn art gallery owner’s quick thinking and bold moves helped stop a thief running away with a painting valued at more than $10,000. Sean Leonard, co-owner of Cotton Candy Machine gallery in Williamsburg, noticed three paintings by artist Amar Stewart were missing during a... Read more on this news related to 'Gallery'
- Sarjeant Gallery on the move due to earthquake risk
The Sarjeant Gallery Te Whare o Rehua Whanganui closed its doors on Sunday, March 2, and the staff and nationally significant collection are to be relocated to temporary downtown premises at 38 Taupo Quay. The Wanganui District Council has made the decision due to the risks to staff and the public from an extremely low compliance with earthquake standards. "T Read more on this news related to 'Gallery'