Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gallery'
Gallery Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- spectators at a golf or tennis match
- a porch along the outside of a building (sometimes partly enclosed) [syn: veranda, verandah]
- a room or series of rooms where works of art are exhibited [syn: art gallery, picture gallery]
- a long usually narrow room used for some specific purpose; "shooting gallery"
- a covered corridor (especially one extending along the wall of a building and supported with arches or columns)
- narrow recessed balcony area along an upper floor on the interior of a building; usually marked by a colonnade
- a horizontal (or nearly horizontal) passageway in a mine; "they dug a drift parallel with the vein" [syn: drift, heading]
- Gallery \Gal"ler*y\, n.; pl. Galleries. [F. galerie, It.
galleria, fr. LL. galeria gallery, perh. orig., a festal
hall, banquetting hall; cf. OF. galerie a rejoicing, fr.
galer to rejoice. Cf. Gallant, a.]
- A long and narrow corridor, or place for walking; a connecting passageway, as between one room and another; also, a long hole or passage excavated by a boring or burrowing animal.
- A room for the exhibition of works of art; as, a picture gallery; hence, also, a large or important collection of paintings, sculptures, etc.
- A long and narrow platform attached to one or more sides of public hall or the interior of a church, and supported by brackets or columns; -- sometimes intended to be occupied by musicians or spectators, sometimes designed merely to increase the capacity of the hall.
- (Naut.) A frame, like a balcony, projecting from the stern or quarter of a ship, and hence called stern gallery or quarter gallery, -- seldom found in vessels built since 1850.
- (Fort.) Any communication which is covered overhead as well as at the sides. When prepared for defense, it is a defensive gallery.
- (Mining) A working drift or level. Whispering gallery. See under Whispering.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gallery'
- Gallery: Gallery may refer to: An Art museum (art gallery) An exhibition room in a museum Long gallery , an element in architecture: a long hallway ...
- Long gallery: Long gallery is an architectural term given to a long, narrow room, often with a high ceiling. In British architecture, long galleries ...
- Gallery forest: Gallery forests form riparian forest corridors along river s or wetland s, and project into landscape ecosystem s that are otherwise only ...
Words and phrases related to 'Gallery'