Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gag'
- a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter; "he told a very funny joke"; "he knows a million gags"; "thanks for the laugh"; "he laughed unpleasantly at hisown jest"; "even a schoolboy's jape is supposed to have some ascertainable point" [syn: joke, laugh, jest, jape]
- restraint put into a person's mouth to prevent speaking or shouting [syn: muzzle] v
- prevent from speaking out; "The press was gagged" [syn: muzzle]
- be too tight; rub or press; "This neckband is choking the cat" [syn: choke, fret]
- tie a gag around someone's mouth in order to silence them; "The burglars gagged the home owner and tied him to a chair" [syn: muzzle]
- make jokes or quips; "The students were gagging during dinner" [syn: quip]
- struggle for breath; have insufficient oxygen intake; "he swallowed a fishbone and gagged" [syn: choke, strangle, suffocate]
- cause to retch or choke [syn: choke]
- make an unsuccessful effort to vomit; strain to vomit [syn: heave, retch] [also: gagging, gagged]
- Gag \Gag\, n.
- Something thrust into the mouth or throat to hinder speaking.
- A mouthful that makes one retch; a choking bit; as, a gag of mutton fat. --Lamb.
- A speech or phrase interpolated offhand by an actor on the stage in his part as written, usually consisting of some seasonable or local allusion. [Slang]
- Gag \Gag\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Gagged; p. pr. & vb. n.
Gagging.] [Prob. fr. W. cegio to choke or strangle, fr. ceg
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Gag'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gag'
A gag is any thing used to stop a person from speaking. This is done by blocking or muffling the person's mouth and making it difficult for them to move their jaw and tongue in a normal way.
Gags are very commonly seen in BDSM and bondage fantasy. Many different items can be used, ranging from a hand simply clamped over the victim's mouth, to a scarf tied between the jaws, to adhesive tape placed over the mouth and face to seal the lips. There are also many kinds of specially-made gags, which usually strap around or behind the head. Special gags of that kind are usually made from leather or rubber.
In real life it is quite difficult to gag a person in such a way that their speech cannot be understood at all, and it is almost impossible to prevent a gagged person from making some kind of sound. It is also a risk to the person's safety, as the more tightly and securely someone is gagged, the greater the risk that they will choke or suffocate.[See more about Gag at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Gag'
'Gag' in famous quotation sentence
* Here's a good gag if you go swimming in a swamp and when you come out you're all covered with leeches. Just say, 'Hey, has anybody seen my raisins' (Because leeches kind of look like big raisins.) - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* If I was a father in a waiting room, and the nurse came out and said, 'Congratulations, it's a girl,' I think a good gag would be to get real mad and yell, 'A girl You must have me mixed up with THAT dork' and point to another father. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
Click here for more related quotations on 'Gag'
Gag Sample Sentences in News
- New Ag-Gag Law Pits Dairy Against Greek Yogurt—and Animal Rights
The urbanite breakfast du jour is colliding with rural, dairy-state politics in Idaho, where Republican Gov. C.L. “Butch” Otter signed a farm protection bill into law on Friday. Senate Bill 1337 is widely considered to be an “ag-gag” law, the kind of legislation that makes it illegal to make audio or video recordings of any agriculture facility without exp Read more on this news related to 'Gag'
- VIDEO: The New Simpsons Couch Gag Is Amazing... and French
The SimpsonsenlistedTriplets of BellevilledirectorSylvain Chometfor their latest couch gag, which skewers the French as much as it does the long-running comedy. A fuse blows in the Simpsons household, and when the power is restored, the family is transformed into the style of the French animator and features Homer eating snails, Bart brutally making his own foie g Read more on this news related to 'Gag'
- Wanda Gag turns 121
NEW ULM--March 11 marks the 121st birthday of illustrator, author and New Ulm native, Wanda Gag. Read more on this news related to 'Gag'