Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gaffer'
Gaffer Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- an elderly man [syn: old-timer, oldtimer, old geezer, antique]
- an electrician responsible for lighting on a movie or tv set
- a person who exercises control over workers; "if you want to leave early you have to ask the foreman" [syn: foreman, chief, honcho, boss]
- Gaffer \Gaf"fer\, n. [Possibly contr. fr. godfather; but prob.
fr. gramfer for grandfather. Cf. Gammer.]
- An old fellow; an aged rustic. Go to each gaffer and each goody. --Fawkes. Note: Gaffer was originally a respectful title, now degenerated into a term of familiarity or contempt when addressed to an aged man in humble life.
- A foreman or overseer of a gang of laborers. [Prov. Eng.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gaffer'
- Gaffer: Gaffer or Gaffa may refer to: People : Gaffer (boss), a British colloquial term for "boss" or "old man" Gaffer (filmmaking), the head of the ...
- Gaffer (filmmaking): A gaffer in the motion picture industry is the head of the electrical department, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design ...
- Gaffer tape: Gaffer tape, gaffer's tape, gaff tape or gaffa tape is a strong, tough, cotton cloth pressure sensitive tape with strong adhesive ...
- Gaffer (boss): In colloquial British English gaffer means a foreman, and is used as a synonym for "boss". In the UK the term is also commonly used to ...
- Polperro Gaffer: The Polperro Gaffer is a type of fishing vessel used in Cornwall . The Great Gale of 1891 destroyed the fishing fleets of many of the ...
- The Gaffer (TV series): The Gaffer was an ITV situation comedy series of the early 1980s starring Bill Maynard and written by businessman Graham White. ...
- Gaffer District (Corning, New York): jpg A view of Corning's Gaffer District across the Chemung River . Organization Summary : better known as Corning's Gaffer District is a ...
- Ahmed Gaffer Hegazi: Ahmed Hegazi (or Ahmed Gaffer Hegazi; احمد جعفر حجازى) (born May 31, 1948) is currently a Professor of Microbiology and Immunology in the ...
- Un gaffeur sachant gaffer: Un gaffeur sachant gaffer, written and drawn by Franquin , is the sixth album of the original Gaston Lagaffe series. The 59 strips of ...
Words and phrases related to 'Gaffer'
Gaffer Sample Sentences in News
- GAFFER'S GIVEN US A HEAD START
Michael Tonge happy with gaffer's early arrival... Read more on this news related to 'Gaffer'
- Celtic gaffer Neil Lennon fears that Fraser Forster could go south
LENNON is hoping that another shot at the Champions League group stage with Celtic would be enough to stop the 25-year-old from looking elsewhere. Read more on this news related to 'Gaffer'
- Dundee gaffer John Brown is gutted for Jambos but claims Romanov is just as bad as Craig Whyte
THE club are looking set to win an SPL reprieve for next season with the Gorgie club teetering on the brink of administration and maybe even liquidation. Read more on this news related to 'Gaffer'