Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gaffer'
Gaffer Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- an elderly man [syn: old-timer, oldtimer, old geezer, antique]
- an electrician responsible for lighting on a movie or tv set
- a person who exercises control over workers; "if you want to leave early you have to ask the foreman" [syn: foreman, chief, honcho, boss]
- Gaffer \Gaf"fer\, n. [Possibly contr. fr. godfather; but prob.
fr. gramfer for grandfather. Cf. Gammer.]
- An old fellow; an aged rustic. Go to each gaffer and each goody. --Fawkes. Note: Gaffer was originally a respectful title, now degenerated into a term of familiarity or contempt when addressed to an aged man in humble life.
- A foreman or overseer of a gang of laborers. [Prov. Eng.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gaffer'
- Gaffer: Gaffer or Gaffa may refer to: People : Gaffer (boss), a British colloquial term for "boss" or "old man" Gaffer (filmmaking), the head of the ...
- Gaffer (filmmaking): A gaffer in the motion picture industry is the head of the electrical department, responsible for the execution (and sometimes the design ...
- Gaffer tape: Gaffer tape, gaffer's tape, gaff tape or gaffa tape is a strong, tough, cotton cloth pressure sensitive tape with strong adhesive ...
- Gaffer (boss): In colloquial British English gaffer means a foreman, and is used as a synonym for "boss". In the UK the term is also commonly used to ...
- Polperro Gaffer: The Polperro Gaffer is a type of fishing vessel used in Cornwall . The Great Gale of 1891 destroyed the fishing fleets of many of the ...
- The Gaffer (TV series): The Gaffer was an ITV situation comedy series of the early 1980s starring Bill Maynard and written by businessman Graham White. ...
- Gaffer District (Corning, New York): jpg A view of Corning's Gaffer District across the Chemung River . Organization Summary : better known as Corning's Gaffer District is a ...
- Ahmed Gaffer Hegazi: Ahmed Hegazi (or Ahmed Gaffer Hegazi; احمد جعفر حجازى) (born May 31, 1948) is currently a Professor of Microbiology and Immunology in the ...
- Un gaffeur sachant gaffer: Un gaffeur sachant gaffer, written and drawn by Franquin , is the sixth album of the original Gaston Lagaffe series. The 59 strips of ...
Words and phrases related to 'Gaffer'
Gaffer Sample Sentences in News
- Win one for the gaffer: Real Salt Lake say MLS Cup a little more urgent if it's Jason Kreis' finale
KANSAS CITY, Kan. – Real Salt Lake players say they have no idea which way Jason Kreis is leaning. But if there is a chance MLS Cup is their longtime head coach’s final game in charge, it’s a little extra motivation to win one for the gaffer. But it’s not just Kreis potentially leaving for New York City FC that gives the players impetus to defeat Sporting Read more on this news related to 'Gaffer'
- Corning's Gaffer District, GST BOCES unveil holiday window displays
The trees aren't the only things festive along Market Street in Corning. The city's Gaffer District unveiled their holiday window displays Tuesday night. YNN's Crystal Cranmore tells us what's unique about this year's display and the message behind the designs. Read more on this news related to 'Gaffer'
- Khalid Jamil: Snoei couldn’t digest losing to us
The Mumbai FC gaffer stated that the addition of Yusif Yakubu has changed the complexion of his side... Read more on this news related to 'Gaffer'