Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gaff'
Gaff Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a spar rising aft from a mast to support the head of a quadrilateral fore-and-aft sail
- an iron hook with a handle; used for landing large fish
- Gaff \Gaff\, n. [OE. gaffe, F. gaffe an iron hook with which
seamen pull great fishes into their ships; cf. Ir. gaf, gafa
hook; perh. akin to G. gabel fork, Skr. gabhasti. Cf.
- A barbed spear or a hook with a handle, used by fishermen in securing heavy fish.
- (Naut.) The spar upon which the upper edge of a fore-and-aft sail is extended.
- Same as Gaffle,
- Gaff \Gaff\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Gaffed; p. pr. & vb. n.
To strike with a gaff or barbed spear; to secure by means of
a gaff; as, to gaff a salmon.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gaff'
- Gaff: Gaff may refer to: Pole-shaped devices: Fishing gaff , a pole used in fishing. Gaff or hakapik , used as a seal-hunting weapon ...
- Gaff rig: Gaff rig is a sailing rig (configuration of sails) in which the sail is four-cornered, fore-and-aft rig ged, controlled at its peak and ...
- Fishing gaff: In fishing , a gaff is a pole with a sharp hook on the end that is used to stab a large fish and then lift the fish into the boat. ...
- Operation Gaff: During World War II , Operation Gaff was a six-man patrol of Special Air Service commandos , who parachuted into Nazi -occupied France on ...
- Penny gaff: A penny gaff was a popular entertainment for the lower classes in 19th century England . It consisted of short, theatrical entertainments ...
Words and phrases related to 'Gaff'
Gaff Sample Sentences in News
- UFC 159 Preview: Shelia Gaff vs Sara McMann Head-to-Toe Breakdown
UFC 159 plays host to the third women's bantamweight bout in UFC history. Highly touted prospects Sara McMann and Sheila Gaff square off on the FX preliminary card. MMARising .com's pound-for-pound list has McMann ranked 10th and Gaff 13th. McMann (6-0) is a former Olympian in wrestling. She entered the sport roughly the same time as UFC champion Ronda Rou Read more on this news related to 'Gaff'
- UFC 159: What We Learned From Sheila Gaff vs. Sara McMann
At UFC 159 , Sara McMann and Sheila Gaff squared off in the UFC's third-ever women's match. Consistent with expectations, McMann (7-0) left Newark with the victory, which she earned with a TKO at 4:06 of the opening round. Gaff (10-5-1) began the fight with something of a personal trademark: rushing forward and throwing a heavy hook when most fighters are Read more on this news related to 'Gaff'
- We can do it: Gaff
April 26, 2013, 10:30 p.m. HAVING amended its season on the road last weekend, Thunder import Eric Gaff says the side is confident of knocking off ladder-leader Mt Gambier tonight. Read more on this news related to 'Gaff'