Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Gaff'
Gaff Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a spar rising aft from a mast to support the head of a quadrilateral fore-and-aft sail
- an iron hook with a handle; used for landing large fish
- Gaff \Gaff\, n. [OE. gaffe, F. gaffe an iron hook with which
seamen pull great fishes into their ships; cf. Ir. gaf, gafa
hook; perh. akin to G. gabel fork, Skr. gabhasti. Cf.
- A barbed spear or a hook with a handle, used by fishermen in securing heavy fish.
- (Naut.) The spar upon which the upper edge of a fore-and-aft sail is extended.
- Same as Gaffle,
- Gaff \Gaff\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Gaffed; p. pr. & vb. n.
To strike with a gaff or barbed spear; to secure by means of
a gaff; as, to gaff a salmon.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Gaff'
- Gaff: Gaff may refer to: Pole-shaped devices: Fishing gaff , a pole used in fishing. Gaff or hakapik , used as a seal-hunting weapon ...
- Gaff rig: Gaff rig is a sailing rig (configuration of sails) in which the sail is four-cornered, fore-and-aft rig ged, controlled at its peak and ...
- Fishing gaff: In fishing , a gaff is a pole with a sharp hook on the end that is used to stab a large fish and then lift the fish into the boat. ...
- Operation Gaff: During World War II , Operation Gaff was a six-man patrol of Special Air Service commandos , who parachuted into Nazi -occupied France on ...
- Penny gaff: A penny gaff was a popular entertainment for the lower classes in 19th century England . It consisted of short, theatrical entertainments ...
Words and phrases related to 'Gaff'
Gaff Sample Sentences in News
- Crossword blog: meet the setter - Gaff
Alan Connor turns the tables on the torturers. Under the spotlight this time is Peter Willmot, aka Gaff Last Tuesday was a good day in crosswording. It was the occasion of one of the wonderful themed puzzles by the Financial Times's Gaff , known in the non-crosswording world as Peter Willmot. Gaff is a specialist in the themed crossword; topics we've celeb Read more on this news related to 'Gaff'
- Eagles midfielder hit by illness
Andrew Gaff was held back from training this morning, with the West Coast wingman recovering from illness. Read more on this news related to 'Gaff'
- EU Mute On U.S. Diplomat's Criticism Involving Ukraine
There was a U.S. diplomatic gaff last week. It involved an expletive used by an assistant secretary of State to express a rather rude form of anger at the European Union during a private phone conversation. The phone call was intercepted by someone — presumably another government — and leaked. Read more on this news related to 'Gaff'