Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Funnel'
- a conical shape with a wider and a narrower opening at the two ends [syn: funnel shape]
- a conically shaped utensil having a narrow tube at the small end; used to channel the flow of substances into a container with a small mouth
- (nautical) smokestack consisting of a shaft for ventilation or the passage of smoke (especially the smokestack of a ship) v : move or pour through a funnel; "funnel the liquid into the small bottle" [also: funnelling, funnelled]
- Funnel \Fun"nel\, n. [OE. funel, fonel, prob. through OF. fr, L.
fundibulum, infundibulum, funnel, fr. infundere to pour in;
in in + fundere to pour; cf. Armor. founil funnel, W. ffynel
air hole, chimney. See Fuse, v. t.]
- A vessel of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids into a close vessel; a tunnel.
- A passage or avenue for a fluid or flowing substance; specifically, a smoke flue or pipe; the iron chimney of a steamship or the like. Funnel box (Mining), an apparatus for collecting finely crushed ore from water. --Knight. Funnel stay (Naut.), one of the ropes or rods steadying a steamer's funnel.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Funnel'
A funnel is a pipe with a wide, often conical mouth and a narrow stem. It is used to channel liquid or fine-grained substances into containers with a small opening. Without a funnel, spillage would occur.
Funnels are usually made of stainless steel, glass, or plastic. The material used in its construction should be sturdy enough to withstand the weight of the substance being transferred, and it should not react with the substance. For this reason, stainless steel or glass are useful in transferring diesel, while plastic funnels are useful in the kitchen. Sometimes disposable paper funnels are used in cases where it would be difficult to adequately clean the funnel afterwards (for example, in adding motor oil to a car). Dropper funnels, also called dropping funnels or tap funnels, have a tap to allow the controlled release of a liquid.[See more about Funnel at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Funnel'
Funnel Sample Sentences in News
- Funnel clouds spotted over Plaquemines Parish on Tuesday
Several short-lived tropical funnel clouds accompanied a thunderstorm moving over Belle Chasse and other parts of Plaquemines Parish just before noon on Tuesday (Sept. 16), prompting a special weather statement from the Slidell office of the National Weather Service. One of the... Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'
- State Fair Mania: Fried Shrimp Boil and Funnel Cake Beer Nab State Fair of Texas Trophies
Funnel cake beer might sound pretty hideous, but according to the judges at the annual Big Tex Choice Awards — which included Texas Monthly barbecue editor Daniel Vaughn and chef Tiffany Derry — it's a winner. Justin Martinez's Funnel... Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'
- 30DC, Inc., Announces the Release of MagCast Version 7; In-App Sales Funnel Is a Key New Feature
NEW YORK, Sept. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- 30DC, Inc. (TDCH), a provider of web-based tools for the monetization of digital content, today announced the release of version 7 of the MagCast Digital Publishing Platform (MagCast). Other improvements include a user interface that allows content creators to better target specific readers with marketing offers, enhance l Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'