Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Funnel'
- a conical shape with a wider and a narrower opening at the two ends [syn: funnel shape]
- a conically shaped utensil having a narrow tube at the small end; used to channel the flow of substances into a container with a small mouth
- (nautical) smokestack consisting of a shaft for ventilation or the passage of smoke (especially the smokestack of a ship) v : move or pour through a funnel; "funnel the liquid into the small bottle" [also: funnelling, funnelled]
- Funnel \Fun"nel\, n. [OE. funel, fonel, prob. through OF. fr, L.
fundibulum, infundibulum, funnel, fr. infundere to pour in;
in in + fundere to pour; cf. Armor. founil funnel, W. ffynel
air hole, chimney. See Fuse, v. t.]
- A vessel of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids into a close vessel; a tunnel.
- A passage or avenue for a fluid or flowing substance; specifically, a smoke flue or pipe; the iron chimney of a steamship or the like. Funnel box (Mining), an apparatus for collecting finely crushed ore from water. --Knight. Funnel stay (Naut.), one of the ropes or rods steadying a steamer's funnel.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Funnel'
A funnel is a pipe with a wide, often conical mouth and a narrow stem. It is used to channel liquid or fine-grained substances into containers with a small opening. Without a funnel, spillage would occur.
Funnels are usually made of stainless steel, glass, or plastic. The material used in its construction should be sturdy enough to withstand the weight of the substance being transferred, and it should not react with the substance. For this reason, stainless steel or glass are useful in transferring diesel, while plastic funnels are useful in the kitchen. Sometimes disposable paper funnels are used in cases where it would be difficult to adequately clean the funnel afterwards (for example, in adding motor oil to a car). Dropper funnels, also called dropping funnels or tap funnels, have a tap to allow the controlled release of a liquid.[See more about Funnel at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Funnel'
Funnel Sample Sentences in News
- Funnel cloud spotted in Macomb County; no tornado, weather service says
The funnel cloud, which could be seen in Lenox and Ray townships as well as the city of Richmond and village of New Haven, prompted the county to activate tornado sirens countywide. Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'
- PHOTO GALLERY: Dublin's Fireman's Carnival, old-fashioned fun draw out community
Friends, family fun and funnel cakes are all things that make Dublin’s Firemen Carnival a tradition. The annual carnival kicked off Aug. 13 and ran through Aug. 16. Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'
- New Baltimore fire chief explains weather sirens after recent funnel cloud sightings
A local fire chief is stressing the importance of knowing what to do when a weather siren rings after recent funnel cloud sightings had many people calling their local fire and police departments to ask, “Is it real?” Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'