Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Funnel'
- a conical shape with a wider and a narrower opening at the two ends [syn: funnel shape]
- a conically shaped utensil having a narrow tube at the small end; used to channel the flow of substances into a container with a small mouth
- (nautical) smokestack consisting of a shaft for ventilation or the passage of smoke (especially the smokestack of a ship) v : move or pour through a funnel; "funnel the liquid into the small bottle" [also: funnelling, funnelled]
- Funnel \Fun"nel\, n. [OE. funel, fonel, prob. through OF. fr, L.
fundibulum, infundibulum, funnel, fr. infundere to pour in;
in in + fundere to pour; cf. Armor. founil funnel, W. ffynel
air hole, chimney. See Fuse, v. t.]
- A vessel of the shape of an inverted hollow cone, terminating below in a pipe, and used for conveying liquids into a close vessel; a tunnel.
- A passage or avenue for a fluid or flowing substance; specifically, a smoke flue or pipe; the iron chimney of a steamship or the like. Funnel box (Mining), an apparatus for collecting finely crushed ore from water. --Knight. Funnel stay (Naut.), one of the ropes or rods steadying a steamer's funnel.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Funnel'
A funnel is a pipe with a wide, often conical mouth and a narrow stem. It is used to channel liquid or fine-grained substances into containers with a small opening. Without a funnel, spillage would occur.
Funnels are usually made of stainless steel, glass, or plastic. The material used in its construction should be sturdy enough to withstand the weight of the substance being transferred, and it should not react with the substance. For this reason, stainless steel or glass are useful in transferring diesel, while plastic funnels are useful in the kitchen. Sometimes disposable paper funnels are used in cases where it would be difficult to adequately clean the funnel afterwards (for example, in adding motor oil to a car). Dropper funnels, also called dropping funnels or tap funnels, have a tap to allow the controlled release of a liquid.[See more about Funnel at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Funnel'
Funnel Sample Sentences in News
- Funnel clouds, large hail and heavy rain pound U.S. Midwest
A storm front packing funnel clouds, large hail and heavy rains rolled through the Midwest and southern United States on Thursday, leaving in its path downed trees and damaged homes, according to local media reports and police. Officials in Denton, Texas were assessing the damage after an early evening storm uprooted trees and dropped golf ball to softball size ha Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'
- Clearomizer Funnel Makes Refilling Fast and Easy, Eliminates Dreaded Gurgling!
FORT MYERS, Fla., April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ -- All Vapers from novice to expert have one thing in common. They have accidentally poured ejuice into the inhale tube of their clearomizers or even ... Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'
- Bus link saved by ferry company
A VITAL bus service for Isle of Wight commuters has been saved by Red Funnel. Read more on this news related to 'Funnel'