Fruit Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- an amount of a product
- the consequence of some effort or action; "he lived long enough to see the fruit of his policies"
- the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant
- bear fruit; "the trees fruited early this year"
- cause to bear fruit
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant ,
- the consequence of some effort or action; "he lived long enough to see the fruit of his policies" ,
- an amount of a product
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fruit'?
Fruit Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
In botany, a fruit is a plant structure that contains the plant's seeds. The word fruit is used only if it comes from the part of the flower which was an ovary.
The fleshy part of a fruit is called the mesocarp. It is between the fruit's skin (exocarp) and the seeds. The white part of an apple, for example, is the "fleshy" part of the apple. Usually, when we eat a fruit, we eat the "fleshy" part.
Words and phrases related to 'Fruit'
'Fruit' example sentence in quotations
* Nature magically suits a man to his fortunes, by making them the fruit of his character. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet. - Aristotle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fruit'
Fruit Sample Sentences in News
- In praise of ancient fruit -- our historic pears with 12 recipes
We make a lot of fuss over heirloom peach varieties that date back to the 1960s and tomatoes that go back as far as the 1930s. But did you know that the Bartlett pear, that standard California grocery store fruit, actually dates back to the 1770s? Read more on this news related to 'Fruit'
- Fruit Street Health Secures First Round Of Seed Funding Led By Group Of Medical Industry And Technology Leaders
SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Fruit Street Health (Fruit Street), today announced that it has secured an initial seed round of funding. The round, which includes $500,000 in initial investments, was led by a series of individual investors, the majority of whom are prominent physicians. In addition operations and marketing functions, the investment Read more on this news related to 'Fruit'
- Fruit Galette
This basic galette recipe can be tailored to fit whatever fruit you have on hand The key is to scale the amount of sugar and cornstarch Generally speaking, tart stone fruits (apricots, peaches, nectarines, plums, sour cherries) need a greater amount of both sugar and cornstarch while figs, grapes, berries and Bing cherries tend to need less Read more on this news related to 'Fruit'