Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fruit'
- the ripened reproductive body of a seed plant
- the consequence of some effort or action; "he lived long enough to see the fruit of his policies"
- an amount of a product [syn: yield] v
- cause to bear fruit
- bear fruit; "the trees fruited early this year"
- Fruit \Fruit\, n. [OE. fruit, frut, F. fruit, from L. fructus
enjoyment, product, fruit, from frui, p. p. fructus, to
enjoy; akin to E. brook, v. t. See Brook, v. t., and cf.
- Whatever is produced for the nourishment or enjoyment of man or animals by the processes of vegetable growth, as corn, grass, cotton, flax, etc.; -- commonly used in the plural. Six years thou shalt sow thy land, and shalt gather in the fruits thereof. --Ex. xxiii. 10.
- (Hort.) The pulpy, edible seed vessels of certain plants, especially those grown on branches above ground, as apples, oranges, grapes, melons, berries, etc. See 3.
- (Bot.) The ripened ovary of a flowering plant, with its contents and whatever parts are consolidated with it. Note: Fruits are classified as fleshy, drupaceous, and -dry. Fleshy fruits include berries, gourds, and melons, orangelike fruita and pomes; drupaceous fruits are stony within and fleshy without, as peaches, plums, and chercies;and dry fruits are further divided into achenes, follicles, legumes, capsules, nuts, and several other kinds.
- (Bot.) The spore cases or conceptacles of flowerless plants, as of ferns, mosses, algae, etc., with the spores contained in them.
- The produce of animals; offspring; young; as, the fruit of the womb, of the loins, of the body. King Edward's fruit, true heir to the English crown. --Shak.
- That which is produced; the effect or consequence of any action; advantageous or desirable product or result; disadvantageous or evil consequence or effect; as, the fruits of labor, of self-denial, of intemperance. The fruit of rashness. --Shak. What I obtained was the fruit of no bargain. --Burke. They shall eat the fruit of their doings. --Is. iii 10. The fruits of this education became visible. --Macaulay. Note: Fruit is frequently used adjectively, signifying of, for, or pertaining to a fruit or fruits; as, fruit bud; fruit frame; fruit jar; fruit knife; fruit loft; fruit show; fruit stall; fruit tree; etc. Fruit bat (Zo["o]l.), one of the Frugivora; -- called also
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fruit'
In broad terms, a fruit is a structure of a plant that contains its seeds.
The term has different meanings dependent on context. In non-technical usage, such as food preparation, fruit normally means the fleshy seed-associated structures of certain plants that are sweet and edible in the raw state, such as apples, oranges, grapes, strawberries, juniper berries and bananas. Seed-associated structures that do not fit these informal criteria are usually called by other names, such as vegetables, pods, nut, ears and cones.
In biology (botany), a "fruit" is a part of a flowering plant that derives from specific tissues of the flower, mainly one or more ovaries. Taken strictly, this definition excludes many structures that are "fruits" in the common sense of the term, such as those produced by non-flowering plants (like juniper berries, which are the seed-containing female cones of conifers[See more about Fruit at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fruit'
'Fruit' in famous quotation sentence
* Nature magically suits a man to his fortunes, by making them the fruit of his character. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet. - Aristotle
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fruit'
Fruit Sample Sentences in News
- Fruit recall
If you've picked up fruit at Costco, Trader Joe's, Kroger or Walmart stores recently, keep reading. Read more on this news related to 'Fruit'
- Here's Why Peaches Picked Seven Weeks Ago Were Included in a Recent Stone-Fruit Recall
On Saturday, a California-based fruit packing company announced a voluntary recall of white and yellow peaches, plums, and pluots after fruit tested positive for the bacteria listeria. As recalls go, Wawona Packing Co.’s has been very efficient and straight-forward. Read more on this news related to 'Fruit'
- Fruit from Trader Joe's, Costco recalled due to possible Listeria contamination
A California packing company has voluntarily recalled fruit sold at Trader Joe's and Costco due to the possible contamination of Listeria monocytogenes, CBS News reported. The fruit has not been linked to any illnesses at this time. Read more on this news related to 'Fruit'