Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Frowned'
Frowned Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Frown \Frown\, v. i. [imp. &, p. p. Frowned; p. pr. & vb. n.
Frowning.] [OF. froignier, F. frogner, in se refrogner, se
renfrogner, to knit the brow, to frown; perh. of Teutonic
origin; cf. It. in frigno wrinkled, frowning, Prov. It.
frignare to cringe the face, to make a wry face, dial. Sw.
fryna to make a wry face,]
- To contract the brow in displeasure, severity, or sternness; to scowl; to put on a stern, grim, or surly look. The frowning wrinkle of her brow. --Shak.
- To manifest displeasure or disapprobation; to look with disfavor or threateningly; to lower; as, polite society frowns upon rudeness. The sky doth frown and lower upon our army. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Frowned'
- Frowned Upon: Frowned Upon is an intergender comedy duo made up of Devon T. Coleman and D'Arcy ... microsoft%3A*&q frowns&btnG Search+Images Types of ...
Words and phrases related to 'Frowned'
Frowned Sample Sentences in News
- SOCHI SCENE: Intensity ramps up
SOCHI, Russia (AP) -- Fighting may be frowned upon in Olympic hockey. But there's nothing wrong with a good little skirmish every once in a while. Read more on this news related to 'Frowned'
- Thousands in dark in Ga., SC days after ice storm
WILLISTON, S.C. (AP) — Ben Ziegler frowned grimly as he used borrowed equipment to cut firewood for his home on the third day without power to keep his wife and 14-month-old daughter along with a neighbor family of five warm. Read more on this news related to 'Frowned'
- PM welcomes foresters to Canberra
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has opened parliament's doors to the 'frowned upon' forestry industry. Read more on this news related to 'Frowned'