Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Frill'
Frill Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim
[syn: flounce, ruffle, furbelow]
- Frill \Frill\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Frilled; p. pr. & vb. n.
Frilling.] [OF. friller, fr. L. frigidulus somewhat cold,
dim. of frigidus cold; akin to F. frileux chilly.]
- To shake or shiver as with cold; as, the hawk frills. --Johnson.
- (Photog.) To wrinkle; -- said of the gelatin film.
- Frill \Frill\, v. t.
To provide or decorate with a frill or frills; to turn back.
in crimped plaits; as, to frill a cap.
- Frill \Frill\, n. [See Frill, v. i.]. (Zo["o]l.)
(a) A ruffing of a bird's feathers from cold.
(b) A ruffle, consisting of a fold of membrane, of hairs, or
of feathers, around the neck of an animal. See Frilled
(c) A similar ruffle around the legs or other appendages of
(d) A ruffled varex or fold on certain shells.
- A border or edging secured at one edge and left free at the other, usually fluted or crimped like a very narrow flounce.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Frill'
- Frill: Frill may refer to: Frill (fashion), a form of trimming. Neck frill , the relatively extensive margin seen on the back of the heads of some ...
- Neck frill: Neck frill is the popular term for the relatively extensive margin seen on the back of the heads of reptile s with either a bony support ...
- Frill-necked Lizard: The frill-necked lizard (Chlamydosaurus kingii), also known as the frilled lizard or frilled dragon, is found mainly in northern Australia ...
- Oriental Frill: The Oriental Frill is a breed of fancy pigeon developed over many years of selective breeding It is originally a Turkish pigeon breed ...
- John Frill: John Edmond Frill (April 3, 1879 to September 28, 1918), was a Major League Baseball pitcher who played in 1910 and 1912 with the New ...
- Old Fashioned Oriental Frill: The Classic Oriental Frill is an exhibition breed of pigeon from the Owl family. It is a Turkish breed specially bred for the Ottoman ...
- Frill-necked Monarch: The Frill-necked Monarch (Arses lorealis) is a species of songbird in the Monarchidae family. It is endemic to the rainforests of the ...
- Frilled shark: However, his manuscript describing the species was lost, and so the first description of the frill shark became authored by American ...
- No frills: Something offered to customers for no additional charge may be designated as a "frill" - for example, free drinks on airline journeys, or ...
Words and phrases related to 'Frill'