Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fractious'
- stubbornly resistant to authority or control; "a fractious animal that would not submit to the harness"; "a refractory child" [syn: refractory]
- easily irritated or annoyed; "an incorrigibly fractious young man"; "not the least nettlesome of his countrymen" [syn: cranky, irritable, nettlesome, peevish, peckish, pettish, petulant, testy, tetchy, techy]
- unpredictably difficult in operation; likely to be troublesome; "rockets were much too fractious to be tested near thigkly populated areas"; "fractious components of a communication system"
- Fractious \Frac"tious\, a. [Cf. Prov. E. frack forward, eager,
E. freak, fridge; or Prov. E. fratch to squabble, quarrel.]
Apt to break out into a passion; apt to scold; cross;
snappish; ugly; unruly; as, a fractious man; a fractious
Syn: Snappish; peevish; waspish; cross; irritable; perverse;
pettish. -- Frac"tious*ly, v. -- Frac"tious*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fractious'
A pet peeve (or pet hate) is a minor annoyance that an individual identifies as particularly annoying to him or her, to a greater degree than others may find it.
Its first usage was around 1919.
Pet peeves often involve specific behaviors of someone close, such as a spouse or significant other.
A key aspect of a pet peeve is that it may well seem acceptable to others. For example, a supervisor may have a pet peeve about people leaving the lid on the copier up and react angrily, be annoyed when others interrupt when speaking, or by messy desks of his or her subordinates. That same supervisor may witness employees coming into work late, and not feel any annoyance whatsoever.[See more about Fractious at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fractious'
Fractious Sample Sentences in News
- Fractious debate a theme at Halifax fracking meeting
It didn’t take long for people to clash at the first public meeting in Halifax about the province’s fracking review. Read more on this news related to 'Fractious'
- Fractious Republicans struggle over defense spending, Medicare
By David Lawder WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House of Representatives Republicans will unveil a 10-year budget blueprint in the next few weeks that will champion fiscal austerity, a theme party leaders hope will energize conservative voters ahead of the November congressional elections. But crafting a budget that can bring together fractious Republicans could be a Read more on this news related to 'Fractious'
- Fractious debate
For many — like those who voted for fracking bans — the answer to that question seems to be an obvious, “yes.” But for Ginal, a state representative from Fort Collins, finding the right answer is trickier than that. There’s not enough research Courtesy of Joann Ginal. Read more on this news related to 'Fractious'