Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Forgetful'
- not retentive [syn: unretentive] [ant: retentive]
- not mindful or attentive; "while thus unmindful of his steps he stumbled"- G.B.Shaw [syn: unmindful, mindless] [ant: mindful]
- failing to keep in mind; "forgetful of her responsibilities"; "oblivious old age" [syn: oblivious]
- Forgetful \For*get"ful\, a.
- Apt to forget; easily losing remembrance; as, a forgetful man should use helps to strengthen his memory.
- Heedless; careless; neglectful; inattentive. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers. --Heb. xiii. 2.
- Causing to forget; inducing oblivion; oblivious. [Archaic or Poetic] ``The forgetful wine.'' --J. Webster.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Forgetful'
Forgetting (retention loss) refers to apparent loss of information already encoded and stored in an individual's long term memory. It is a spontaneous or gradual process in which old memories are unable to be recalled from memory storage. It is subject to delicately balanced optimization that ensures that relevant memories are recalled. Forgetting can be reduced by repetition and/or more elaborate cognitive processing of information. Reviewing information in ways that involve active retrieval seems to slow the rate of forgetting.
Forgetting functions (amount remembered as a function of time since an event was first experienced) have been extensively analyzed. The most recent evidence suggests that a power function provides the closest mathematical fit to the forgetting function.[See more about Forgetful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Forgetful'
'Forgetful' in famous quotation sentence
* All these souls, after they have passed away a thousand years, are summoned by the divine ones in great array, to the lethean river. . .In this way they become forgetful of the former earthlife, and re-visit the vaulted realms of the world, willing to return again into living bodies. - Virgil
* Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. - Hebrews 132 Bible
Click here for more related quotations on 'Forgetful'
Forgetful Sample Sentences in News
- Feeling forgetful? A new online test scores your brain health
Failing to remember names or where you’ve placed things can seem like minor “senior moments,” but how can we really know if certain memory issues are normal or not? Professor and author Dr. Gary Small gives tips to maximize and maintain your memory Read more on this news related to 'Forgetful'
- CWT Inc. Releases New Free Version of Eidetiq- Innovative Secure Note-Taking App
Are you forgetful? Do you have trouble keeping up when jotting down notes? Do you miss key opportunities to collaborate? Do you wish you could recall what was truly important in your meeting or class? Eidetiq has been helping successful people cut through the noise and focus on what is most important for years. Read more on this news related to 'Forgetful'
- Americans want a smart home because they are anxious, forgetful and couch potatoes
Home improvement giant Lowe's wondered what consumers thought of smart homes, so it asked them. While security is the top concern, the other responses were pretty mundane. Americans want a smart home because they are anxious, forgetful and couch potatoes originally published by Gigaom , © copyright 2014. Continue reading… Read more on this news related to 'Forgetful'