Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Forgetful'
- not retentive [syn: unretentive] [ant: retentive]
- not mindful or attentive; "while thus unmindful of his steps he stumbled"- G.B.Shaw [syn: unmindful, mindless] [ant: mindful]
- failing to keep in mind; "forgetful of her responsibilities"; "oblivious old age" [syn: oblivious]
- Forgetful \For*get"ful\, a.
- Apt to forget; easily losing remembrance; as, a forgetful man should use helps to strengthen his memory.
- Heedless; careless; neglectful; inattentive. Be not forgetful to entertain strangers. --Heb. xiii. 2.
- Causing to forget; inducing oblivion; oblivious. [Archaic or Poetic] ``The forgetful wine.'' --J. Webster.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Forgetful'
Forgetting (retention loss) refers to apparent loss of information already encoded and stored in an individual's long term memory. It is a spontaneous or gradual process in which old memories are unable to be recalled from memory storage. It is subject to delicately balanced optimization that ensures that relevant memories are recalled. Forgetting can be reduced by repetition and/or more elaborate cognitive processing of information. Reviewing information in ways that involve active retrieval seems to slow the rate of forgetting.
Forgetting functions (amount remembered as a function of time since an event was first experienced) have been extensively analyzed. The most recent evidence suggests that a power function provides the closest mathematical fit to the forgetting function.[See more about Forgetful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Forgetful'
'Forgetful' in famous quotation sentence
* All these souls, after they have passed away a thousand years, are summoned by the divine ones in great array, to the lethean river. . .In this way they become forgetful of the former earthlife, and re-visit the vaulted realms of the world, willing to return again into living bodies. - Virgil
* Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. - Hebrews 132 Bible
Click here for more related quotations on 'Forgetful'
Forgetful Sample Sentences in News
- Are You Forgetful? Your Genes Might Be To Blame
Pic: Getty Images Are you a forgetful person? You might be able to blame your genes, a new study in the journal Neuroscience Letters suggests. Researchers from the University of Bonn have identified a variant on the DRD2 gene that seems to be associated with increased forgetfulness. Read more on this news related to 'Forgetful'
- Baby 'Left In Car By Forgetful Dad' Found Dead
The man told investigators that he had forgotten to drop his child off with a babysitter, San Jose Police Department spokeswoman Sergeant Heather Randol said. Another neighbour, Kevin Carroll, told the San Francisco Chronicle he had walked by the SUV three times but did not notice the baby. Read more on this news related to 'Forgetful'
- Nine-Month Old Baby Dies After Forgetful Father Leaves him in Car for Ten Hours
He parked his SUV in a quiet residential street in San Jose before picking up a van that he uses for work. He called police shortly after 7pm, but the boy was pronounced dead, San Jose Police Department spokeswoman Sergeant Heather Randol confirmed. Neighbour Kevin Carroll told the San Francisco Chronicle that he walked by the SUV three times, but did not notice t Read more on this news related to 'Forgetful'