Foolish Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- having or revealing stupidity; "ridiculous anserine behavior"; "a dopey answer"; "a dopey kid"; "some fool idea about rewriting authors'' books"
- devoid of good sense or judgment; "foolish remarks"; "a foolish decision"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Foolish'?
Foolish Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Foolishness is when someone acts without wisdom or sense. A foolish decision is one made without careful reasoning or judgement. An act of foolishness is called folly. A person who shows foolishness may be called a fool. It is different to stupidity, which is the lack of intelligence.
A fool's errand is a useless piece of work.
A fool's paradise a happy state for which there is no good reason.
The wise fool is a common literary character, a person who appears at first to be unintelligent but then reveals him or herself to possess a grest deal of wisdom. An example of this is Sancho Panza in Cervantes' Don Quixote. Sancho is an uneducated peasant who at first seems to have little sense or experience. However, as the tale unfolds, he reveals himself to possess a wealth of common sense, first expressed through endless proverbs, but then through his own skill. In this sense he provides a comic juxtaposition to Quixote himself, who is highly educated but insane; both of them supply what the other lacks.
Words and phrases related to 'Foolish'
'Foolish' example sentence in quotations
* You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious, nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave. - Sydney Smith
* To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent. - Buddha
Click here for more related quotations on 'Foolish'
Foolish Sample Sentences in News
- 'Foolish to write off India in World Cup'
Former New Zealand pacer Allott predicts that this edition will be the toughest ever with as many as eight teams capable of lifting the coveted Cup. Read more on this news related to 'Foolish'
- 'It would be foolish to write off India in World Cup'
Former New Zealand fast bowler Geoff Allott feels it would be foolish to write off defending champions India ahead of next month's Cricket World Cup despite their pedestrian showing in the ongoing tour of Australia. Read more on this news related to 'Foolish'
- Pentagon bid to cut planes, ships called penny wise, pound foolish
By David Alexander WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Calling the Pentagon "penny wise and pound foolish," the new Republican head of the House Armed Services Committee on Tuesday rejected plans to retire planes and ships because of tight budgets but offered no solution to ease the military's money woes. Representative Mac Thornberry sounded a defiant note in hi Read more on this news related to 'Foolish'