Foolish Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- having or revealing stupidity; "ridiculous anserine behavior"; "a dopey answer"; "a dopey kid"; "some fool idea about rewriting authors'' books"
- devoid of good sense or judgment; "foolish remarks"; "a foolish decision"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Foolish'?
Foolish Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Foolishness is when someone acts without wisdom or sense. A foolish decision is one made without careful reasoning or judgement. An act of foolishness is called folly. A person who shows foolishness may be called a fool. It is different to stupidity, which is the lack of intelligence.
A fool's errand is a useless piece of work.
A fool's paradise a happy state for which there is no good reason.
The wise fool is a common literary character, a person who appears at first to be unintelligent but then reveals him or herself to possess a grest deal of wisdom. An example of this is Sancho Panza in Cervantes' Don Quixote. Sancho is an uneducated peasant who at first seems to have little sense or experience. However, as the tale unfolds, he reveals himself to possess a wealth of common sense, first expressed through endless proverbs, but then through his own skill. In this sense he provides a comic juxtaposition to Quixote himself, who is highly educated but insane; both of them supply what the other lacks.
Words and phrases related to 'Foolish'
'Foolish' example sentence in quotations
* You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious, nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave. - Sydney Smith
* To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent. - Buddha
Click here for more related quotations on 'Foolish'
Foolish Sample Sentences in News
- Cookson: Tiernan-Locke comments are "foolish"
UCI President Brian Cookson says Jonathan Tiernan-Locke's comments in relation to his UK Anti-doping (UKAD ) hearing and subsequent doping ban are causing him to put himself "in a deeper and deeper hole". Read more on this news related to 'Foolish'
- Video: Cookson warns Tiernan-Locke over 'foolish' comments
Do you like this? Tweet UCI President Brian Cookson has responded to claims made by Jonathan Tiernan-Locke in relation to his UK Anti-doping (UKAD ) hearing and subsequent doping ban, telling the British rider he is “putting himself in a deeper and deeper hole.” Read more on this news related to 'Foolish'
- Christian Bale to Play Steve Jobs in Aaron Sorkin's Jobs Biopic
Stay hungry, Christian Bale , stay foolish. The American Hustle actor just booked a new big gig. Bale, 40, will play the late Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs in an upcoming biopic, screenwriter Aaron Sorkin confirmed to Bloomberg on Thursday, Oct. 23. Read more on this news related to 'Foolish'