Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Follicle'
Follicle Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : any small spherical group of cells containing a cavity
- Follicle \Fol"li*cle\, n. [L. folliculus a small bag, husk, pod,
dim of follis bellows, an inflated ball, a leathern money
bag, perh. akin to E. bellows: cf. F. follicule. Cf. 2d
- (Bot.) A simple podlike pericarp which contains several seeds and opens along the inner or ventral suture, as in the peony, larkspur and milkweed.
- (Anat.) (a) A small cavity, tubular depression, or sac; as, a hair follicle. (b) A simple gland or glandular cavity; a crypt. (c) A small mass of adenoid tissue; as, a lymphatic follicle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Follicle'
- Follicle: Follicle may refer to: Follicle (anatomy), a small spherical group of cells containing a cavity: Dental follicle Hair follicle ...
- Hair follicle: Hair follicle is a skin organ that produces hair. Attached to the follicle is a sebaceous gland This is a tiny sebum -producing gland ...
- Follicle (fruit): In botany, a follicle is a dry unilocular many-seeded fruit formed from one carpel and dehiscing by the ventral suture in order to ...
- Ovarian follicle: Ovarian follicles are the basic units of female reproductive biology, each of which is composed of roughly spherical aggregations of cell ...
- Follicle (anatomy): A follicle is a small spherical or vase-like group of cells containing a cavity in which some other structure grows. Follicles are best ...
- Follicle-stimulating hormone: Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) is a hormone found in humans and other animals. It is synthesized and secreted by gonadotroph s of the ...
- Antral follicle: An antral follicle (or tertiary or Graafian follicle) is an ovarian follicle during a certain latter stage of folliculogenesis . ...
- Theca of follicle: The theca folliculi comprise a layer of the ovarian follicle s. They appear as the follicles become tertiary follicle s. The theca are ...
Words and phrases related to 'Follicle'
Follicle Sample Sentences in News
- Male hormones can enhance female fertility
New York, March 5 (IANS) In a ground-breaking research in the field of in-vitro fertilisation (IVF), a team of scientists has found that male hormones can play an important role in female fertility and enhance IVF therapy. Male hormones, also called androgens, help drive the development of follicles, structures that contain and ultimately release an egg that can b Read more on this news related to 'Follicle'
- Male hormone testosterone has plenty to do with female fertility
Washington, March 5 (ANI): Researchers including and an Indian origin researcher has said that male hormones, also called androgens, help drive the development of follicles - structures that contain and ultimately release an egg that can be fertilized by a man's sperm. The research also details how male hormones boost the production of follicles in mice. Autho Read more on this news related to 'Follicle'
- Female fertility: What's testosterone got to do with it? Research shows male hormones may enhance IVF therapy
The use of testosterone to improve outcomes in women undergoing in vitro fertilization is taking hold across the country, but data on its use is slim and mixed. A new study suggests that the male hormone might actually be doing something good by helping drive the development of follicles -- structures that contain and ultimately release an egg that can be fertiliz Read more on this news related to 'Follicle'