Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Follicle'
Follicle Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : any small spherical group of cells containing a cavity
- Follicle \Fol"li*cle\, n. [L. folliculus a small bag, husk, pod,
dim of follis bellows, an inflated ball, a leathern money
bag, perh. akin to E. bellows: cf. F. follicule. Cf. 2d
- (Bot.) A simple podlike pericarp which contains several seeds and opens along the inner or ventral suture, as in the peony, larkspur and milkweed.
- (Anat.) (a) A small cavity, tubular depression, or sac; as, a hair follicle. (b) A simple gland or glandular cavity; a crypt. (c) A small mass of adenoid tissue; as, a lymphatic follicle.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Follicle'
- Follicle: Follicle may refer to: Follicle (anatomy), a small spherical group of cells containing a cavity: Dental follicle Hair follicle ...
- Hair follicle: Hair follicle is a skin organ that produces hair. Attached to the follicle is a sebaceous gland This is a tiny sebum -producing gland ...
- Follicle (fruit): In botany, a follicle is a dry unilocular many-seeded fruit formed from one carpel and dehiscing by the ventral suture in order to ...
- Ovarian follicle: Ovarian follicles are the basic units of female reproductive biology, each of which is composed of roughly spherical aggregations of cell ...
- Follicle (anatomy): A follicle is a small spherical or vase-like group of cells containing a cavity in which some other structure grows. Follicles are best ...
- Follicle-stimulating hormone: Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) is a hormone found in humans and other animals. It is synthesized and secreted by gonadotroph s of the ...
- Antral follicle: An antral follicle (or tertiary or Graafian follicle) is an ovarian follicle during a certain latter stage of folliculogenesis . ...
- Theca of follicle: The theca folliculi comprise a layer of the ovarian follicle s. They appear as the follicles become tertiary follicle s. The theca are ...
Words and phrases related to 'Follicle'
Follicle Sample Sentences in News
- How does miR-21 promote the differentiation of hair follicle-derived NCSCs into SCs?
( Neural Regeneration Research ) Hair follicle-derived neural crest stem cells can be induced to differentiate into Schwann cells. Read more on this news related to 'Follicle'
- More Naturally Inc. Launches New Product
LOS ANGELES, July 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- More Naturally Inc. proudly announces the launch of their new hair serum, Intensive Scalp Serum. When Brian Reichenberg, president of More Naturally Inc., read in a science news piece in The Telegraph that researchers had discovered the hair follicles of those suffering from hair loss had only become trapped in a "s Read more on this news related to 'Follicle'