Fly Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air
- two-winged insects characterized by active flight
- an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or buttons concealed by a fold of cloth
- fisherman''s lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect
- flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent
- decrease rapidly and disappear; "the money vanished in las Vegas"; "all my stock assets have vaporized"
- change quickly from one emotional state to another; "fly into a rage"
- hit a fly
- transport by aeroplane; "We fly flowers from the Caribbean to North America"
- be dispersed or disseminated; "Rumors and accusations are flying"
- travel in an airplane; "she is flying to Cincinnati tonight"; "Are we driving or flying?"
- move quickly or suddenly; "He flew about the place"
- travel over (an area of land or sea) in an aircraft; "Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic"
- cause to fly or float; "fly a kite"
- travel through the air; be airborne; "Man cannot fly"
- fly a plane
- pass away rapidly; "Time flies like an arrow"; "Time fleeing beneath him"
- run away quickly; "He threw down his gun and fled"
- display in the air or cause to float; "fly a kite"; "All nations fly their flags in front of the U.N."
- (British informal) not to be deceived or hoodwinked
Definitions from Wiktionary
- two-winged insects characterized by active flight ,
- flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent ,
- an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or by buttons concealed under a fold of cloth ,
- (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air ,
- fisherman's lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fly'?
Fly Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A fly (plural: flies) is an insect of the order Diptera.
Their most obvious distinction from other insects is in their flight. A typical fly has two flight wings on its thorax and a pair of halteres. The halteres, which evolved from the hind wings, act as flight sensors: they are balance organs. Also flies have large eyes with excellent wide-angle vision.
With the help of their eyes and halteres, flies are exceptional fliers. They can avoid most predators, and are the most difficult insects to capture by hand. Their jinks, dives and turns to avoid their predators is their main adaptation.
The only other order of insects bearing two true, functional wings plus any form of halteres are the Strepsiptera, a small order of insects. In contrast to the flies, the Strepsiptera evolved their halteres from their front wings and their flight wings are their rear wings.
Words and phrases related to 'Fly'
'Fly' example sentence in quotations
* It is easy to fly into a passion--anybody can do that--but to be angry with the right person and at the right time and with the right object and in the right way--that is not easy, and it is not everyone who can do it. - Aristotle
* To fly from, need not be to hate, makind All are not fit with them to stir and toil, Nor is it discontent to keep the mind Deep in its fountain. - George Gordon Byron
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fly'
Fly Sample Sentences in News
- Fly-in, fly-out jobs here to stay, researcher says
A researcher at Memorial University says that for workers in Newfoundland and Labrador, fly-in, fly-out jobs are here to stay. Keith Storey, who shared his findings at a mining forum in Labrador City this week, said the numbers from Statistics Canada show that workers would rather commute than relocate for work. "Over that five-year period they found that Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- FLY Leasing Purchases Three New Boeing 737-800s
DUBLIN, Oct. 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- FLY Leasing Limited (FLY), a global lessor of modern commercial jet aircraft, today announced that it has signed agreements with a leading Asian airline to purchase and lease back three new Boeing 737-800 aircraft. "We are continuing our strong fleet growth with the addition of three new B737-800s, increasing our total ac Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- Fly Golden Eagle: 'Stepping Stone'
One of Nashville's most dynamic young rock bands tears it up, with help from a crew wearing hazmat suits. It may seem like a commentary on virus-panic. But it's just better living through psychedelia. Read more on this news related to 'Fly'