Fly Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air
- two-winged insects characterized by active flight
- an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or buttons concealed by a fold of cloth
- fisherman''s lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect
- flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent
- decrease rapidly and disappear; "the money vanished in las Vegas"; "all my stock assets have vaporized"
- change quickly from one emotional state to another; "fly into a rage"
- hit a fly
- transport by aeroplane; "We fly flowers from the Caribbean to North America"
- be dispersed or disseminated; "Rumors and accusations are flying"
- travel in an airplane; "she is flying to Cincinnati tonight"; "Are we driving or flying?"
- move quickly or suddenly; "He flew about the place"
- travel over (an area of land or sea) in an aircraft; "Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic"
- cause to fly or float; "fly a kite"
- travel through the air; be airborne; "Man cannot fly"
- fly a plane
- pass away rapidly; "Time flies like an arrow"; "Time fleeing beneath him"
- run away quickly; "He threw down his gun and fled"
- display in the air or cause to float; "fly a kite"; "All nations fly their flags in front of the U.N."
- (British informal) not to be deceived or hoodwinked
Definitions from Wiktionary
- two-winged insects characterized by active flight ,
- flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent ,
- an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or by buttons concealed under a fold of cloth ,
- (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air ,
- fisherman's lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Fly'?
Fly Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A fly (plural: flies) is an insect of the order Diptera.
Their most obvious distinction from other insects is in their flight. A typical fly has two flight wings on its thorax and a pair of halteres. The halteres, which evolved from the hind wings, act as flight sensors: they are balance organs. Also flies have large eyes with excellent wide-angle vision.
With the help of their eyes and halteres, flies are exceptional fliers. They can avoid most predators, and are the most difficult insects to capture by hand. Their jinks, dives and turns to avoid their predators is their main adaptation.
The only other order of insects bearing two true, functional wings plus any form of halteres are the Strepsiptera, a small order of insects. In contrast to the flies, the Strepsiptera evolved their halteres from their front wings and their flight wings are their rear wings.
Words and phrases related to 'Fly'
'Fly' example sentence in quotations
* It is easy to fly into a passion--anybody can do that--but to be angry with the right person and at the right time and with the right object and in the right way--that is not easy, and it is not everyone who can do it. - Aristotle
* To fly from, need not be to hate, makind All are not fit with them to stir and toil, Nor is it discontent to keep the mind Deep in its fountain. - George Gordon Byron
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fly'
Fly Sample Sentences in News
- Syria 'no-fly zone' not being considered: NATO general
By Jonny Hogg IZMIR, Turkey (Reuters) - NATO is not considering establishing a "no-fly zone" in northern Syria, something Turkey has been calling for to alleviate security and humanitarian pressures on its southeastern borders, one of the alliance's top generals has told Reuters. Turkey has NATO's second largest military and is host for Land Comm Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- JetBlue Launches Fly-Fi Hub With Endless Content for Customers
JetBlue Airways , New York's Hometown Airline™, is partnering with content providers Coursera, FOX, HarperCollins Publishers, National Geographic, Rouxbe and Time Inc. to offer customers more free content ... Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- Fly With the Brooklyn Aerodrome (Video)
A bit of housing insulation material, a battery, a motor and propellor, a radio receiver and transmitter, and servos to control the motor and a pair of ailerons, and you're ready to fly the Brooklyn Aerodrome way. This isn't a tiny radio-controlled paper airplane, but a big bruiser with a 1:1 power to weight ratio (which means it can climb like a bat out o Read more on this news related to 'Fly'