Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fly'
adj : (British informal) not to be deceived or hoodwinked
- two-winged insects characterized by active flight
- flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent [syn: tent-fly, rainfly, fly sheet, tent flap]
- an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or buttons concealed by a fold of cloth [syn: fly front]
- (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air [syn: fly ball]
- fisherman's lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect v
- travel through the air; be airborne; "Man cannot fly" [syn: wing]
- move quickly or suddenly; "He flew about the place"
- fly a plane [syn: aviate, pilot]
- transport by aeroplane; "We fly flowers from the Caribbean to North America"
- cause to fly or float; "fly a kite"
- be dispersed or disseminated; "Rumors and accusations are flying"
- change quickly from one emotional state to another; "fly into a rage"
- pass away rapidly; "Time flies like an arrow"; "Time fleeing beneath him" [syn: fell, vanish]
- travel in an airplane; "she is flying to Cincinnati tonight"; "Are we driving or flying?"
- display in the air or cause to float; "fly a kite"; "All nations fly their flags in front of the U.N." 1
- run away quickly; "He threw down his gun and fled" [syn: flee, take flight] 1
- travel over (an area of land or sea) in an aircraft; "Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic" 1
- hit a fly 1
- decrease rapidly and disappear; "the money vanished in las Vegas"; "all my stock assets have vaporized" [syn: vanish, vaporize] [also: flown, flew]
- Fly \Fly\, v. t.
To manage (an aircraft) in flight; as, to fly an
- Fly \Fly\, n. (Cotton Manuf.)
- Fly \Fly\, n.; pl. Flies (fl[imac]z). [OE. flie, flege, AS.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fly'
Nematocera (includes Eudiptera) Brachycera
True flies are insects of the order Diptera (di = two, and ptera = wings). They possess a pair of wings on the mesothorax and a pair of halteres, derived from the hind wings, on the metathorax.
The presence of a single pair of wings distinguishes true flies from other insects with "fly" in their name, such as mayflies, dragonflies, damselflies, stoneflies, whiteflies, fireflies, alderflies, dobsonflies, snakeflies, sawflies, caddisflies, butterflies or scorpionflies. Some true flies have become secondarily wingless, especially in the superfamily Hippoboscoidea, or among those that are inquilines in social insect colonies.
The common names of true flies are written as two words, e.g., crane fly, robber fly, bee fly, moth fly, fruit fly. The common names of non-dipteran insects that have "fly" in their name are written as one word, e.g., butterfly, stonefly, dragonfly, scorpionfly, sawfly, caddisfly, whitefly.[See more about Fly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fly'
'Fly' in famous quotation sentence
* It is easy to fly into a passion--anybody can do that--but to be angry with the right person and at the right time and with the right object and in the right way--that is not easy, and it is not everyone who can do it. - Aristotle
* To fly from, need not be to hate, makind All are not fit with them to stir and toil, Nor is it discontent to keep the mind Deep in its fountain. - George Gordon Byron
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fly'
Fly Sample Sentences in News
- FLY Leasing Acquires Two Airbus A330-300 Aircraft
DUBLIN, Sept. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- FLY Leasing Limited (FLY), a global lessor of modern commercial jet aircraft, today announced it has acquired two Airbus A330-300 aircraft manufactured in 2013 and on lease to a leading airline in Asia in a sale and lease-back transaction. "We are excited about these two latest acquisitions of modern aircraft on lease to Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- Fly-Fishing Mecca
Cold Water, Big Trout – Outdoors Tourism Boost Fourteen years ago, Jack Gagnon moved from Waterbury to the tiny village of Lakeville, Maine (population 105), near the Canadian border. He went to enjoy the peace and quiet and the trout fishing. But in recent years, he has been making a yearly summer pilgrimage to the best fly fishing waters he knows — the upper Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- Australia to fly guns and ammunition into Iraq
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australian military aircraft will fly guns and ammunition into Iraq to help fight Islamic State militants, Australia's prime minister said on Sunday. Read more on this news related to 'Fly'