Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fly'
adj : (British informal) not to be deceived or hoodwinked
- two-winged insects characterized by active flight
- flap consisting of a piece of canvas that can be drawn back to provide entrance to a tent [syn: tent-fly, rainfly, fly sheet, tent flap]
- an opening in a garment that is closed by a zipper or buttons concealed by a fold of cloth [syn: fly front]
- (baseball) a hit that flies up in the air [syn: fly ball]
- fisherman's lure consisting of a fishhook decorated to look like an insect v
- travel through the air; be airborne; "Man cannot fly" [syn: wing]
- move quickly or suddenly; "He flew about the place"
- fly a plane [syn: aviate, pilot]
- transport by aeroplane; "We fly flowers from the Caribbean to North America"
- cause to fly or float; "fly a kite"
- be dispersed or disseminated; "Rumors and accusations are flying"
- change quickly from one emotional state to another; "fly into a rage"
- pass away rapidly; "Time flies like an arrow"; "Time fleeing beneath him" [syn: fell, vanish]
- travel in an airplane; "she is flying to Cincinnati tonight"; "Are we driving or flying?"
- display in the air or cause to float; "fly a kite"; "All nations fly their flags in front of the U.N." 1
- run away quickly; "He threw down his gun and fled" [syn: flee, take flight] 1
- travel over (an area of land or sea) in an aircraft; "Lindbergh was the first to fly the Atlantic" 1
- hit a fly 1
- decrease rapidly and disappear; "the money vanished in las Vegas"; "all my stock assets have vaporized" [syn: vanish, vaporize] [also: flown, flew]
- Fly \Fly\, v. t.
To manage (an aircraft) in flight; as, to fly an
- Fly \Fly\, n. (Cotton Manuf.)
- Fly \Fly\, n.; pl. Flies (fl[imac]z). [OE. flie, flege, AS.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fly'
Nematocera (includes Eudiptera) Brachycera
True flies are insects of the order Diptera (di = two, and ptera = wings). They possess a pair of wings on the mesothorax and a pair of halteres, derived from the hind wings, on the metathorax.
The presence of a single pair of wings distinguishes true flies from other insects with "fly" in their name, such as mayflies, dragonflies, damselflies, stoneflies, whiteflies, fireflies, alderflies, dobsonflies, snakeflies, sawflies, caddisflies, butterflies or scorpionflies. Some true flies have become secondarily wingless, especially in the superfamily Hippoboscoidea, or among those that are inquilines in social insect colonies.
The common names of true flies are written as two words, e.g., crane fly, robber fly, bee fly, moth fly, fruit fly. The common names of non-dipteran insects that have "fly" in their name are written as one word, e.g., butterfly, stonefly, dragonfly, scorpionfly, sawfly, caddisfly, whitefly.[See more about Fly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fly'
'Fly' in famous quotation sentence
* It is easy to fly into a passion--anybody can do that--but to be angry with the right person and at the right time and with the right object and in the right way--that is not easy, and it is not everyone who can do it. - Aristotle
* To fly from, need not be to hate, makind All are not fit with them to stir and toil, Nor is it discontent to keep the mind Deep in its fountain. - George Gordon Byron
Click here for more related quotations on 'Fly'
Fly Sample Sentences in News
- Game roundup: Kendrick sac fly gives Angels 10th-inning win
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Howie Kendrick's sacrifice fly to right field drove home Albert Pujols in the bottom of the 10th inning to lift the Los Angeles Angels to a 4-3 win over the Oakland A's Thursday night at Angel Stadium. Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- Man caught on camera fly-tipping outside an empty house in Tunstall
THIS is the fly-tipper members of the public are being urged to help track down after he was caught red-handed by camera-wielding inspectors. Council officers used body cameras to film him dumping a fridge and carpet behind a house in Bond Street, Tunstall. They hope someone who sees the pictures will get in touch to identify the man so that he can be prosecuted. Read more on this news related to 'Fly'
- AL West showdown: Angels win in 10 on sac fly, A’s file protest
Howie Kendrick drove in Albert Pujols with a sacrifice fly in the 10th inning, and the Los Angeles Angels opened a two-game lead atop the AL West with a 4-3 victory Thursday night over the Oakland Athletics, who finished the game under protest over a ninth-inning obstruction call. Read more on this news related to 'Fly'