Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Flotation'
Flotation Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the phenomenon of floating (remaining on the surface of a liquid without sinking) [syn: floatation]
- financing a commercial enterprise by bond or stock shares [syn: floatation]
- Flotation \Flo*ta"tion\, n. (Com. & Finance)
Act of financing, or floating, a commercial venture or an
issue of bonds, stock, or the like.
- Flotation \Flo*ta"tion\, n. [Cf. F. flottation a floating,
flottaison water line, fr. flotter to float. See Flotilla.]
- The act, process, or state of floating.
- The science of floating bodies. Center of flotation. (Shipbuilding) (a) The center of any given plane of flotation. (b) More commonly, the middle of the length of the load water line. --Rankine. Plane, or Line, of flotation, the plane or line in which the horizontal surface of a fluid cuts a body floating in it. See Bearing, n., 9 (c) . Surface of flotation (Shipbuilding), the imaginary surface which all the planes of flotation touch when a vessel rolls or pitches; the envelope of all such planes.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Flotation'
- Flotation: Flotation (historically spelled floatation) involves phenomena related to the relative buoyancy of objects. The term may refer to: ...
- Personal flotation device: A personal flotation device (abbreviated as PFD; also referred to as, lifejacket, life preserver, Mae West, life vest, life saver, cork ...
- Froth flotation: Froth flotation is a process for selectively separating hydrophobic materials from hydrophilic. This is used in several processing ...
- Flotation process: Flotation process (sometimes called flotation separation) is a method of separation widely used in the wastewater treatment and mineral ...
- Dissolved air flotation: Dissolved air flotation (DAF) is a water treatment process that clarifies wastewater s (or other waters) by the removal of suspended matter ...
Words and phrases related to 'Flotation'