Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fission'
Fission Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a nuclear reaction in which a massive nucleus splits into smaller nuclei with the simultaneous release of energy [syn: nuclear fission]
- reproduction of some unicellular organisms by division of the cell into two more or less equal parts
- Fission \Fis"sion\, n. [L. fissio. See Fissure.]
- A cleaving, splitting, or breaking up into parts.
- (Biol.) A method of asexual reproduction among the lowest (unicellular) organisms by means of a process of self-division, consisting of gradual division or cleavage of the into two parts, each of which then becomes a separate and independent organisms; as when a cell in an animal or plant, or its germ, undergoes a spontaneous division, and the parts again subdivide. See Segmentation, and Cell division, under Division.
- (Zo["o]l.) A process by which certain coral polyps, echinoderms, annelids, etc., spontaneously subdivide, each individual thus forming two or more new ones. See Strobilation.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fission'
- Fission: Fission is a splitting of something into two parts. Fission may refer to: In physics, nuclear fission is a process where a large atomic ...
- Nuclear fission: In nuclear physics and nuclear chemistry , nuclear fission is a nuclear reaction in which the nucleus of an atom splits into smaller ...
- Fission (biology): In biology, fission is the subdivision of a body, population, or species into parts and the regeneration of those parts into separate ...
- Fission (band): Fission is a Swedish melodic death metal band formed in 2002. The band began as Benny Hägglund's personal project, with the hopes of ...
- Fission (album): Fission is a studio album by keyboardist Jens Johansson , released in 1998 through Heptagon Records (Europe ), Pony Canyon, Inc. (Japan ...
Words and phrases related to 'Fission'