Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Filly'
n : a young female horse under the age of four
- Filly \Fil"ly\, n.; pl. Fillies. [Cf. Icel. fylia, fr. foli
foal. See Foal.]
- (Zo["o]l.) A female foal or colt; a young mare. Cf. Colt, Foal. Neighing in likeness of a filly foal. --Shak.
- A lively, spirited young girl. [Colloq.] --Addison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Filly'
A filly is a young female horse too young to be called a mare. There are several specific definitions in use.
The equivalent term for a male is a colt. When horses of either sex are less than one year of age, they are referred to as foals. Horses between one and two years of age may also be called yearlings.[See more about Filly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Filly'
Filly Sample Sentences in News
- Zenyatta delivers War Front filly
Champion Zenyatta delivered her third foal, a filly by popular young commercial sire War Front, early April 20 at Lane’s End Farm in Versailles, Ky. The filly arrived at 12:03 a.m. Eastern. Read more on this news related to 'Filly'
- Zenyatta delivers her first filly
Zenyatta, the 2010 Horse of the Year who developed a strong national following of racing fans, delivered her third foal and her first filly just after midnight at Lane's End Farm in Kentucky early Sunday. Read more on this news related to 'Filly'
- European filly Living the Life coming to California
ARCADIA, Calif. - Living the Life, the winner of Friday’s $252,000 All-Weather Championship Fillies and Mares Condition Stakes at Lingfield, England, is set to join trainer Gary Mandella’s stable at Santa Anita in the next week. Read more on this news related to 'Filly'