Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Filly'
n : a young female horse under the age of four
- Filly \Fil"ly\, n.; pl. Fillies. [Cf. Icel. fylia, fr. foli
foal. See Foal.]
- (Zo["o]l.) A female foal or colt; a young mare. Cf. Colt, Foal. Neighing in likeness of a filly foal. --Shak.
- A lively, spirited young girl. [Colloq.] --Addison.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Filly'
A filly is a young female horse too young to be called a mare. There are several specific definitions in use.
The equivalent term for a male is a colt. When horses of either sex are less than one year of age, they are referred to as foals. Horses between one and two years of age may also be called yearlings.[See more about Filly at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Filly'
Filly Sample Sentences in News
- Buckley's Griffin Place filly earns top price in summer sale | Washington Thoroughbred Breeders and Owners
The first foal out of Washington champion Zenovit, a colt, also sired by Tribal Rule – one of the great Storm Cat’s many top-siring sons – was bred and raised. Read more on this news related to 'Filly'
- Avenir Certain earns a start in the Arc
Star French filly Avenir Certain will have her next start in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe after extending her unbeaten record at Deauville. Read more on this news related to 'Filly'
- Fasig-Tipton Saratoga: Tapit fillies create late fireworks on opening night
A filly by popular commercial sire Tapit and out of champion She Be Wild created late fireworks at the Fasig-Tipton Saratoga selected yearling sale, fetching $1.15 million from bloodstock agents Alex Solis and Jason Litt as the penultimate horse through the ring at the opening session. Read more on this news related to 'Filly'