Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Farm'
n : workplace consisting of farm buildings and cultivated land
as a unit; "it takes several people to work the farm"
- be a farmer; work as a farmer; "My son is farming in California"
- collect fees or profits
- cultivate by growing, often involving improvements by means of agricultural techniques; "The Bordeaux region produces great red wines"; "They produce good ham in Parma"; "We grow wheat here"; "We raise hogs here" [syn: grow, raise, produce]
- Farm \Farm\, n. [OE. ferme rent, lease, F. ferme, LL. firma, fr.
L. firmus firm, fast, firmare to make firm or fast. See
Firm, a. & n.]
- The rent of land, -- originally paid by reservation of part of its products. [Obs.]
- The term or tenure of a lease of land for cultivation; a leasehold. [Obs.] It is great willfulness in landlords to make any longer farms to their tenants. --Spenser.
- The land held under lease and by payment of rent for the purpose of cultivation.
- Any tract of land devoted to agricultural purposes, under the management of a tenant or the owner. Note: In English the ideas of a lease, a term, and a rent, continue to be in a great degree inseparable, even from the popular meaning of a farm, as they are entirely so from the legal sense. --Burrill.
- A district of country leased (or farmed) out for the collection of the revenues of government. The province was devided into twelve farms. --Burke.
- (O. Eng. Law) A lease of the imposts on particular goods; as, the sugar farm, the silk farm. Whereas G. H. held the farm of sugars upon a rent of 10,000 marks per annum. --State Trials (1196).
- Farm \Farm\, v. i.
To engage in the business of tilling the soil; to labor as a
- Farm \Farm\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Farmed; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To lease or let for an equivalent, as land for a rent; to yield the use of to proceeds. We are enforced to farm our royal realm. --Shak.
- To give up to another, as an estate, a business, the revenue, etc., on condition of receiving in return a
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Farm'
A farm is an area of land, including various structures, devoted primarily to the practice of producing and managing food (produce, grains, or livestock), fibres and, increasingly, fuel. It is the basic production facility in food production.
The word farm comes from Middle English ferme ("farm, rent, revenue; revenue collected from a farmer; factor, stewardship, meal, feast"), from Old English feorm, farm ("provision, stores of food, supplies, possessions; provisions supplied to the king or a lord by a tenant or vassal; rent, feast, benefit, assylum"), from Proto-Germanic *firmō, *firχumō ("means of living, subsistence"), from Proto-Indo-European *perkwu- ("life, strength, force"). It is related to other Old English words such as feormehām ("farm"), feormere ("purveyor, grocer"), feormian ("to provision, sustain"), and feorh ("life, spirit"). The Old English word was borrowed by Medieval Latin as firma, ferma (whence also the Old French ferme "farm", Occitan ferma "farm") and continued the same senses of "rent, farmed office, source of revenue, feast". The meaning "rent, fixed payment", which was already present in the Old English word, was further strengthened due to the word's resemblance to unrelated Latin firma, firmus ("firm, solid"), and firmitas ("security, firmness").[See more about Farm at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Farm'
'Farm' in famous quotation sentence
* Till last by Philip's farm I flowTo join the brimming river,For men may come and men may go,But I go on for ever. - Alfred Lord Tennyson
* I remember one day I was at Grandpa's farm and I asked him about sex. He sort of smiled and said, 'Maybe instead of telling you what sex is, why don't we go out to the horse pasture and I'll show you.' So we did, and there on the ground were my parents having sex. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
Click here for more related quotations on 'Farm'
Farm Sample Sentences in News
- Farm Boy to expand in London, Ontario
Farm Boy's expansion in Southern Ontario will start in London, Ontario this summer with a 27,000 square feet store on Wellington Street. Farm Boy currently has 14 locations including 12 stores in Ottawa, one in Cornwall and one in Kingston. The fresh food grocer wants to tap into the Southern Ontario market in a big way over the next several years. "Londo Read more on this news related to 'Farm'
- Farm worker hurt in grenade blast
KIDAPAWAN CITY – A farm laborer was wounded when a fragmentation grenade went off in a village in Pikit, North Cotabato around 12:15 p.m., Tuesday, police official said. Inspector Mautin Pangandigan, chief of Pikit municipal police station, identified the victim as Abdul Yusoph Kandang, 22, farm worker and student of Mahad Mindanao Islamic School in […] Read more on this news related to 'Farm'
- 'The Farm' movie rights snapped up by Shine
Tom Rob Smith's critically acclaimed psychological thriller "The Farm" is not long off the presses, but the February debut has already leapt onto the books of Shine Pictures and BBC Films. "The Farm" sees London resident Daniel unravel a disturbing family story as his mother, having escaped a psychiatric hospital, tells him what really happ Read more on this news related to 'Farm'