Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Falcon'
n : diurnal birds of prey having long pointed powerful wings
adapted for swift flight
v : hunt with falcons; "The Arabs like to falcon in the desert"
- Falcon \Fal"con\, n. [OE. faucon, faucoun, OF. faucon, falcon,
?. faucon, fr. LL. falco, perh. from L. falx, falcis, a
sickle or scythe, and named from its curving talons. Cf.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) One of a family (Falconid[ae]) of raptorial birds, characterized by a short, hooked beak, strong claws, and powerful flight. (b) Any species of the genus Falco, distinguished by having a toothlike lobe on the upper mandible; especially, one of this genus trained to the pursuit of other birds, or game. In the language of falconry, the female peregrine (Falco peregrinus) is exclusively called the falcon. --Yarrell.
- (Gun.) An ancient form of cannon. Chanting falcon. (Zo["o]l.) See under Chanting.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Falcon'
About 37; see text.
A falcon (pronounced /ˈfɔːlkən/ or /ˈfælkən/) is any species of raptor in the genus Falco. The genus contains 37 species, widely distributed throughout Europe, Asia, and North America.
Adult falcons have thin tapered wings, which enable them to fly at high speed and to change direction rapidly. Fledgling falcons, in their first year of flying, have longer flight feathers which makes their configuration more like that of a general-purpose bird such as a broadwing. This makes it easier to fly while learning the exceptional skills required to be effective hunters as adults.
Peregrine Falcons have been recorded diving at speeds of 200 miles per hour (320 km/h), making them the fastest-moving creatures on Earth. Other falcons include the Gyrfalcon, Lanner Falcon, and the Merlin. Some small falcons with long narrow wings are called hobbies, and some which hover while hunting are called kestrels. The falcons are part of the family Falconidae, which also includes the caracaras, Laughing Falcon, forest falcons, and falconets.[See more about Falcon at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Falcon'
Meaning of the Name 'Falcon'
- Meaning: Surname relating to falconry.
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
Falcon Sample Sentences in News
- 'Star Wars': It's the Millennium Falcon...and the Batmobile?
While some unofficial photos of the Millennium Falcon from Star Wars Episode VII have been popping up, there hasn’t yet been an official look at Han Solo’s hunka junk … until now. And with it comes the appearance of another famous vehicle, though not one fans may have expected. Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'
- Falcon 7X to be Approved for Operation at World's Highest Airport
Recent trials in China will permit Dassault trijet to operate at 15,000 ft. The long range Falcon 7X will soon become the first business jet certified to operate at Daocheng Yading, the world's highest commercial airport. The certification campaign at Daocheng, situated in China's Sichuan province at an altitude of 14,470 ft (4,411 m), was initiated at Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'
- Harris Wins More Contracts for Falcon III Wideband Radios
Harris Corporation (HRS) ??? a leading supplier of communications equipment and services ??? won three major contracts, back to back, over the past one week. Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'