Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Falcon'
n : diurnal birds of prey having long pointed powerful wings
adapted for swift flight
v : hunt with falcons; "The Arabs like to falcon in the desert"
- Falcon \Fal"con\, n. [OE. faucon, faucoun, OF. faucon, falcon,
?. faucon, fr. LL. falco, perh. from L. falx, falcis, a
sickle or scythe, and named from its curving talons. Cf.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) One of a family (Falconid[ae]) of raptorial birds, characterized by a short, hooked beak, strong claws, and powerful flight. (b) Any species of the genus Falco, distinguished by having a toothlike lobe on the upper mandible; especially, one of this genus trained to the pursuit of other birds, or game. In the language of falconry, the female peregrine (Falco peregrinus) is exclusively called the falcon. --Yarrell.
- (Gun.) An ancient form of cannon. Chanting falcon. (Zo["o]l.) See under Chanting.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Falcon'
About 37; see text.
A falcon (pronounced /ˈfɔːlkən/ or /ˈfælkən/) is any species of raptor in the genus Falco. The genus contains 37 species, widely distributed throughout Europe, Asia, and North America.
Adult falcons have thin tapered wings, which enable them to fly at high speed and to change direction rapidly. Fledgling falcons, in their first year of flying, have longer flight feathers which makes their configuration more like that of a general-purpose bird such as a broadwing. This makes it easier to fly while learning the exceptional skills required to be effective hunters as adults.
Peregrine Falcons have been recorded diving at speeds of 200 miles per hour (320 km/h), making them the fastest-moving creatures on Earth. Other falcons include the Gyrfalcon, Lanner Falcon, and the Merlin. Some small falcons with long narrow wings are called hobbies, and some which hover while hunting are called kestrels. The falcons are part of the family Falconidae, which also includes the caracaras, Laughing Falcon, forest falcons, and falconets.[See more about Falcon at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Falcon'
Meaning of the Name 'Falcon'
- Meaning: Surname relating to falconry.
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
Falcon Sample Sentences in News
- Falcon Oil & Gas Ltd.: Hungary Well Test Begins
Falcon Oil & Gas Ltd. is pleased to announce that well testing operations on the Kutvolgy-1 well in Hungary have started. Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'
- Middle Eastern Operator Falcon Aviation Services Signs a Letter of Intent for Up to Two Bombardier CSeries Aircraft
Editors Note: There is a photo associated with this press release. Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'
- SpaceX Adds Landing Legs to Falcon 9 Rocket for Next Launch, Elon Musk Says (Photo)
The private spaceflight company SpaceX is strapping landing gear onto the rocket that will launch the company's unmanned Dragon cargo capsule toward the International Space Station next month. Putting landing legs on the Falcon 9 rocket, which is slated to blast off on March 16, marks another step in SpaceX's quest to develop a fully reusable launch system Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'