Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Falcon'
n : diurnal birds of prey having long pointed powerful wings
adapted for swift flight
v : hunt with falcons; "The Arabs like to falcon in the desert"
- Falcon \Fal"con\, n. [OE. faucon, faucoun, OF. faucon, falcon,
?. faucon, fr. LL. falco, perh. from L. falx, falcis, a
sickle or scythe, and named from its curving talons. Cf.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) One of a family (Falconid[ae]) of raptorial birds, characterized by a short, hooked beak, strong claws, and powerful flight. (b) Any species of the genus Falco, distinguished by having a toothlike lobe on the upper mandible; especially, one of this genus trained to the pursuit of other birds, or game. In the language of falconry, the female peregrine (Falco peregrinus) is exclusively called the falcon. --Yarrell.
- (Gun.) An ancient form of cannon. Chanting falcon. (Zo["o]l.) See under Chanting.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Falcon'
About 37; see text.
A falcon (pronounced /ˈfɔːlkən/ or /ˈfælkən/) is any species of raptor in the genus Falco. The genus contains 37 species, widely distributed throughout Europe, Asia, and North America.
Adult falcons have thin tapered wings, which enable them to fly at high speed and to change direction rapidly. Fledgling falcons, in their first year of flying, have longer flight feathers which makes their configuration more like that of a general-purpose bird such as a broadwing. This makes it easier to fly while learning the exceptional skills required to be effective hunters as adults.
Peregrine Falcons have been recorded diving at speeds of 200 miles per hour (320 km/h), making them the fastest-moving creatures on Earth. Other falcons include the Gyrfalcon, Lanner Falcon, and the Merlin. Some small falcons with long narrow wings are called hobbies, and some which hover while hunting are called kestrels. The falcons are part of the family Falconidae, which also includes the caracaras, Laughing Falcon, forest falcons, and falconets.[See more about Falcon at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Falcon'
Meaning of the Name 'Falcon'
- Meaning: Surname relating to falconry.
- Origin: English
- Gender: Male
Falcon Sample Sentences in News
- Falcon 2000S, 900LX, 7X to Highlight Dassault's EBACE Display as Company Marks 50th Anniversary
GENEVA, May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Dassault Falcon will present a full lineup of long-range large-cabin executive jets at this year's European Business Aviation Convention & Exhibition, May 21-23. ... Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'
- 4 falcon chicks living on NY-NJ bridge are banded
NEW YORK (AP) — Four peregrine falcon chicks roosting high above the Hudson River on the George Washington Bridge were pronounced healthy Tuesday and fitted with tracking bands to help biologists keep tabs on them. Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'
- Dassault Falcon Embarks on Massive Spares Pricing Overhaul
GENEVA, May 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Parts service seen as the key to excellence in Customer Support Spare parts service has always been at the forefront of Dassault Falcon's efforts to provide top quality ... Read more on this news related to 'Falcon'