Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Fagot'
- offensive terms for an openly homosexual man [syn: faggot, fag, fairy, nance, pansy, queen, queer, poof, poove, pouf]
- a bundle of sticks and branches bound together [syn: faggot] v
- ornament or join (fabric) by faggot stitch; "He fagotted the blouse for his wife" [syn: faggot]
- fasten together rods of iron in order to heat or weld them [syn: faggot]
- bind or tie up in or as if in a faggot; "faggot up the sticks" [syn: faggot, faggot up]
- Fagot \Fag"ot\n. [F., prob. aug. of L. fax, facis, torch, perh.
orig., a bundle of sticks; cf. Gr. ??????? bundle, fagot. Cf.
- A bundle of sticks, twigs, or small branches of trees, used for fuel, for raising batteries, filling ditches, or other purposes in fortification; a fascine. --Shak.
- A bundle of pieces of wrought iron to be worked over into bars or other shapes by rolling or hammering at a welding heat; a pile.
- (Mus.) A bassoon. See Fagotto.
- A person hired to take the place of another at the muster of a company. [Eng.] --Addison.
- An old shriveled woman. [Slang, Eng.] Fagot iron, iron, in bars or masses, manufactured from fagots. Fagot vote, the vote of a person who has been constituted a voter by being made a landholder, for party purposes. [Political cant, Eng.]
- Fagot \Fag"ot\v. t. [imp. & p. p. Fagoted; p. pr. & vb. n.
To make a fagot of; to bind together in a fagot or bundle;
also, to collect promiscuously. --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Fagot'
The bassoon is a woodwind instrument in the double reed family that typically plays music written in the bass and tenor registers, and occasionally higher. Appearing in its modern form in the 19th century, the bassoon figures prominently in orchestral, concert band, and chamber music literature. The bassoon is a non-transposing instrument known for its distinctive tone color, wide range, variety of character, and agility. Listeners often compare its warm, dark, reedy timbre to that of a male baritone voice.
The bassoon disassembles into six main pieces, including the reed. The bell (6), extending upward; the bass joint (or long joint) (5), connecting the bell and the boot; the boot (or butt) (4), at the bottom of the instrument and folding over on itself; the wing joint (3), which extends from boot to bocal; and the bocal (or crook) (2), a crooked metal tube that attaches the wing joint to a reed (1) ( listen (help·info)). The reed, if made of wood, should be soaked in an orange medicine container with a neck wide enough to pull out the reed. Wood reeds have a generally better sound than plastic reeds. Bassoons are double reed instruments like the oboe and the English horn.[See more about Fagot at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Fagot'
Fagot Sample Sentences in News
- Man gets 17-34 years for attempted abduction of girl
PHILADELPHIA Horrified by the attempted kidnapping of 10-year-old girl who was walking on a South Philadelphia street with her baby brother in tow, a Common Pleas Court judge on Friday sentenced Carlos Figueroa-Fagot, 34, to 17 to 34 years in prison. Read more on this news related to 'Fagot'
- Figueroa-Fagot gets 17-34 years in prison for attempted abduction
A man convicted of trying to abduct a 10-year-old girl in South Philadelphia has been sentenced to decades behind bars. Read more on this news related to 'Fagot'
- Foiled kidnapper caught on tape gets 17 to 34 years in state prison
Carlos Figueroa-Fagot was caught on camera trying to abduct a little girl, 10, from a South Philadelphia sidewalk. Read more on this news related to 'Fagot'